Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1811851 times)

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #4605 on: June 22, 2014, 09:14:52 am
I sat on the side of the road waiting for a tow.
After two days of perfect running in chilly conditions, she seized while idling while barely warm.
Managed to unseize with kick lever but I could hear the big end knocking while kicking it, until it seized while kicking it around and it's stuck good.

I have several expensive options, either rebuild it to a fireball which will take months. Best and more expensive but longest.

Get a forged steel with roller big end and pay a shop to put it in asap.
Still expensive but quick fix

Throw myself and bike off bridge. Most tempting.

Or try to flog off bike and buy some cheap 250 shitbox to get around on.

I have no other transportation besides public, which is 1.5 hours each way to work.
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4606 on: June 22, 2014, 10:37:49 am
 :o

Geez, Mazz, do you know what happened?

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #4607 on: June 22, 2014, 11:01:15 am
I'm not sure, it has oil so I'm assuming maybe oil pump stripped at some point and after my slightly hard riding before it's decieded to shit itself so I'm left with trying to figure out how to fix this up cheaply but still improving it.
Would installing a forged steel conrod with roller big end, high flow oil pumps and better spindals with a new piston head if it's damaged be good enough? Plus honing the cylinder and balancing/machining old crank to make it all good?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4608 on: June 22, 2014, 02:40:59 pm
Talk to Ace, get some advice.  Even for a stock rebuild he's the guy who'd know what you need.

And if you have the cash, just buy a used Rebel or Ninja 250.  They'll get you to work and you can sell it for what you paid when you're done.

Scott
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 06:13:40 pm by Ducati Scotty »

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #4609 on: June 22, 2014, 03:47:29 pm
Yesterday I got to go out and meet a local riding group.  All big HDs and Victory bikes.  Couldn't keep up at all and didn't even try with my old IB, but when we got to the twisties I think I had more fun not riding a lowered and bagged 1,000 lb bike.

Of course when we stopped for lunch I was the last to pull in, but as usual, the good ol' IB Royal Enfield got all the attention  8)  Some of the bikes I was parked next to were nearly $20k rigs with custom paint jobs, but many of the 'Ooooos' and 'Ahhhs' went to the RE.

My outing with them ended when they insist I show everyone how to kick-start an old single.  So many were fascinated by the mild aspiration when pushing through the compression with the decomp open.

It was a fun day, even plugging around in 100+ degree heat, and the RE- used worth less than $4k- stole the day  :D
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #4610 on: June 22, 2014, 09:08:51 pm
Talk to Ace, get some advice.  Even for a stock rebuild he's the guy who'd know what you need.

And if you have the cash, just buy a used Rebel or Ninja 250.  They'll get you to work and you can sell it for what you paid when you're done.

Scott

Unfornataly cheapdst I could get one is around 2k at a pinch :/

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4611 on: June 22, 2014, 09:11:10 pm
Yup, that's what they cost.  Cheap for a nice little bike but it's stil $2k. :(

Do you need to ride freeway?  If not, you might be able to get a small used scooter cheaper

Scott

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #4612 on: June 22, 2014, 09:50:04 pm
Yup, that's what they cost.  Cheap for a nice little bike but it's stil $2k. :(

Do you need to ride freeway?  If not, you might be able to get a small used scooter cheaper

Scott

The day I ride a scooter is the day I chop my nuts off.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #4613 on: June 22, 2014, 10:02:47 pm
The day I ride a scooter is the day I chop my nuts off.

Don't hold back now, tell us what you really think !
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #4614 on: June 23, 2014, 12:20:30 am
Got up early and did a partial up Mt. Lemmon before the heat kicked in.  No on-board cameras for the twisties or anything, though I did stop and snap a few pics at Babad Doag Point.  It was  a fantastic morning   8)

The ride up I stayed in 3rd gear the whole time, varying between 30-40mph.  The climb was quite easy for the bike but what really impressed me was coming down.

I hadn't taken the RE up the mountain until this point and I didn't know what to expect in the engine braking department on the way down.  Much to my surprise 3rd gear again worked like a charm.  3rd slowed me down to 25mph in the tight turns and gave really good grunt to power out of the turns.  Now I know why they love these bikes in the Himalayas.

Huge smiles and waves from the folks that got to see the bike, I even saw a much newer RE going uphill as I was coming down.  My confidence in this little bike has grown  :D

-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4615 on: June 23, 2014, 12:54:04 am
I did about 150 miles with 2 friends down to Colorado Springs and back for the Tejon Street Bike Fest 2014.  There must have been close to 1000 bikes there spread out over about 3 or 4 city blocks.  It was really cool because they had Tejon St shut down, but they had a small barricade where bikes could ride past the beer garden and rev up their motors as they were passing by, which we did as we left.  ;D    We got rained on pretty good for a little bit, but after a couple of beers and a hotdog we found a break in the clouds and headed back home dry.  On the way there tho before it had started cooling off, we got stuck in bumper to bumper for about 20 minutes and the Blackhawk was getting very upset.  She got so hot she wanted to die on me and actually stalled twice, but there was an exit for a gas station an 1/8 of a mile up so we just road on the shoulder for minute so I could park it safely and shut her down for it.  It's quite possible that my carb is dirty too, might need to tear it apart and give it a good cleaning and replace the fuel filters again.  The clutch was slipping when we first hit the road but after she got up to temp it stopped slipping.  Damn thing.   >:(

All in all it was a great fun ride and got to see a lot of fantastic bikes.  It was a great afternoon!   8)

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

sjbiat

• Bulleteer
Reply #4616 on: June 23, 2014, 01:40:21 am
I didn't do anything today, but last week, after shipping it to Greenville SC, I took it on the Blue Ridge Parkway and rode 400 miles over the next 2 days.  Magnificent.  And no traffic.  I decided to drop it at a shop in Silver Spring to get the starter system repaired, since I got tired of having to hot wire it every time I turned off the motor.  Hopefully, next week I'll finish the ride to NYC.
stephan
09 C5 with Cozy sidecar now
formerly
97 Motoguzzi
94/02 Ural
85 BMW R80
64 BMW R60/Hollandia/Steib
61 BMW R69/Watsonian
60 Pugeot

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4617 on: June 23, 2014, 02:39:38 am
Because this topic is in the UCE engine area of the forum I think I should point out to anyone reading about Mr.Mazza"s problem with his engine freezing up and possible problems with the oil pump is not happening to a 2009+ UCE powered Royal Enfield.

He owns a 2006 Iron Barrel which is running an engine that was designed over 60 years ago.
The oil pumps in these IB's consist of two small pistons driven by small connecting rods.  These are driven by a shaft with crank pins on each of its ends.  It is driven by a worm gear on the crankshaft.
The worm gears on the crankshaft and pump drive have been known to strip their teeth causing a total loss of the engine oil pressure.

The new UCE engines use a modern gyrotor style oil pump and I have yet to hear of a failure of the pump or a UCE engine due to problems in this area.

Just thought some of you would like to know, your UCE powered motorcycle is not the subject of Mr.Mazza's problems.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #4618 on: June 23, 2014, 06:44:46 am
Because this topic is in the UCE engine area of the forum I think I should point out to anyone reading about Mr.Mazza"s problem with his engine freezing up and possible problems with the oil pump is not happening to a 2009+ UCE powered Royal Enfield.

He owns a 2006 Iron Barrel which is running an engine that was designed over 60 years ago.
The oil pumps in these IB's consist of two small pistons driven by small connecting rods.  These are driven by a shaft with crank pins on each of its ends.  It is driven by a worm gear on the crankshaft.
The worm gears on the crankshaft and pump drive have been known to strip their teeth causing a total loss of the engine oil pressure.

The new UCE engines use a modern gyrotor style oil pump and I have yet to hear of a failure of the pump or a UCE engine due to problems in this area.

Just thought some of you would like to know, your UCE powered motorcycle is not the subject of Mr.Mazza's problems.

Thanks for that clear up, sorry for any confusion!
Bikes no seized, stator issue, check the Classic post for info.

krimp

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4619 on: June 23, 2014, 04:52:50 pm
I did about 150 miles with 2 friends down to Colorado Springs and back for the Tejon Street Bike Fest 2014.  There must have been close to 1000 bikes there spread out over about 3 or 4 city blocks.  It was really cool because they had Tejon St shut down, but they had a small barricade where bikes could ride past the beer garden and rev up their motors as they were passing by, which we did as we left.  ;D    We got rained on pretty good for a little bit, but after a couple of beers and a hotdog we found a break in the clouds and headed back home dry.  On the way there tho before it had started cooling off, we got stuck in bumper to bumper for about 20 minutes and the Blackhawk was getting very upset.  She got so hot she wanted to die on me and actually stalled twice, but there was an exit for a gas station an 1/8 of a mile up so we just road on the shoulder for minute so I could park it safely and shut her down for it.  It's quite possible that my carb is dirty too, might need to tear it apart and give it a good cleaning and replace the fuel filters again.  The clutch was slipping when we first hit the road but after she got up to temp it stopped slipping.  Damn thing.   >:(

All in all it was a great fun ride and got to see a lot of fantastic bikes.  It was a great afternoon!   8)

Scottie J

What he didn't mention is that we met up while there. We only got to speak for a few minutes because we were with separate groups, but still, it's nice to be able to meet a fellow RE rider. Maybe next time I will get the chance to see that monster.
Living in beautiful Colorado Springs, Co.
2014 Cream C5