Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1835076 times)

krimp

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4575 on: June 15, 2014, 05:04:14 am
I took a ride through Garden of the Gods tonight. Speed limit 20MPH and awesome views.
Living in beautiful Colorado Springs, Co.
2014 Cream C5

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4576 on: June 15, 2014, 05:38:27 am
Nice!  I may have to join you next time you decide to roll thru there.  I haven't been there since I was 11.  :)

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4577 on: June 15, 2014, 06:01:48 am
My G5 odometer reading passed 15,000 miles on the way home from the Pavilion Car Show.  ;D 
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #4578 on: June 15, 2014, 07:39:57 am
Rode around the beautiful hills getting used to my one bar end, after my spark plug shat itself last night in the rain, on the way to a gig!
 Always carry a spare ;)
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4579 on: June 15, 2014, 11:08:59 am
Once we saw a break in the clouds he headed out, only to get hailed on 4 blocks away.  Took a chunk of hail right in my lip at 40mph, that sucked ass.   :o

What the hail?!? (said in my best southern twang)

At least you're back to getting injured while actually riding!  ;)  How's your eye?

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #4580 on: June 15, 2014, 01:32:38 pm
Prepped B5 for a ride to the fairgrounds tomorrow.  The Antique Motorcycle Club of America is holding a show this weekend.
http://www.vikingmc.org/
I'll be parking out front by the doors on Friday.  Anybody else planning to go ?

I wish Minna Sota was closer to Ro Dyland. East Coast motorcycle shows that I can get to are few & far between.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4581 on: June 15, 2014, 02:38:07 pm
What the hail?!? (said in my best southern twang)

At least you're back to getting injured while actually riding!  ;)  How's your eye?

;D  Honestly, my eye doesn't feel much different than it has the last couple of days.  It's not bothering per say, but I can definitely tell that it is still swollen and irritated.  I'm going to drink a cup of coffee and roll the bike back onto my front door step.  I don't like how the clutch is acting so I want to open up the primary and take a look to see what exactly is going on with the clutch cable end/knuckle area.  It feels like the cable keeps getting longer and longer.   :-\   Also, while I'm in there and I'm going to give the clutch plates a bath in brake cleaner again and see if I can't get the slip to go away.  I'll take a quick spin around the block with the primary cover off and the clutch dry to see if it is still slipping.  If it is then I'll open of the clutch pack and use some 36 grit paper to rough the surface of the steel plates, but I don't want to do that unless I have too.  And I may.

Scottie J

krimp

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4582 on: June 15, 2014, 04:48:28 pm
Nice!  I may have to join you next time you decide to roll thru there.  I haven't been there since I was 11.  :)

Scottie J

It was a short ride. I think it took all of about 20 minutes. I'm using this to plan some longer and more fun rides.

http://www.coloradodot.info/programs/live-to-ride/rider-resources.html
2014 Cream C5

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4583 on: June 15, 2014, 04:58:52 pm
It was a short ride. I think it took all of about 20 minutes. I'm using this to plan some longer and more fun rides.

http://www.coloradodot.info/programs/live-to-ride/rider-resources.html

Oh cool!  If you get something planned keep me posted.  Also, Dan Kearney lives outside of Blackhawk and I know he likes to take adventurous rides as well.  He may be interested in joining.  The two of us have talked about getting an all RE ride going but have been having trouble finding/getting others to Colorado riders to join.  Dan has been talking to the RE dealer as well.  Hopefully something will come together in the near future.  When I first joined this forum I tried to get a group ride to do Pikes Peak but it was a total flop and there was no interest at that time.

Scottie J

krimp

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4584 on: June 15, 2014, 05:32:43 pm
Oh cool!  If you get something planned keep me posted.  Also, Dan Kearney lives outside of Blackhawk and I know he likes to take adventurous rides as well.  He may be interested in joining.  The two of us have talked about getting an all RE ride going but have been having trouble finding/getting others to Colorado riders to join.  Dan has been talking to the RE dealer as well.  Hopefully something will come together in the near future.  When I first joined this forum I tried to get a group ride to do Pikes Peak but it was a total flop and there was no interest at that time.

Scottie J

Which RE dealer is Dan working with?

And a run to the top of Pikes Peak would be totally worth it. It's now paved from bottom to top. Any run to Pikes Peak will require cold weather gear.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 05:37:16 pm by krimp »
2014 Cream C5

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4585 on: June 15, 2014, 05:39:31 pm
Which RE dealer is Dan working with?

And a run to the top of Pikes Peak would be totally worth it. It's now paved from bottom to top.

He is working with Unique Rides in Fort Collins.  Last I spoke with Dan the dealer was supposed to send out an email to RE purchasers to promote Dan's website http://rockymountainenfieldriders.bbforum.co/  (which for some reason isn't working at the moment).

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #4586 on: June 15, 2014, 05:49:06 pm
I got up before the heat, put over 100 miles on the bike this morning just putting around the outskirts of town.  My father's day ride  8)  Didn't even take the cameras, just wanted to have fun with the ride.

Now I'm heading to the movies with my kiddos, happy father's day to all the dad's out there...
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #4587 on: June 15, 2014, 06:11:29 pm
  I don't like how the clutch is acting so I want to open up the primary and take a look to see what exactly is going on with the clutch cable end/knuckle area.  It feels like the cable keeps getting longer and longer.   :-\   Also, while I'm in there and I'm going to give the clutch plates a bath in brake cleaner again and see if I can't get the slip to go away.  I'll take a quick spin around the block with the primary cover off and the clutch dry to see if it is still slipping.  If it is then I'll open of the clutch pack and use some 36 grit paper to rough the surface of the steel plates, but I don't want to do that unless I have too.  And I may.

Scottie J
Hi Scottie,  I had several Brits that were prone to slipping clutches from the primary case oil bath. This was sometimes caused by crank seal seepage raising the oil level. Rather than pull the whole thing down to put in a dubious new seal, I opened the drain screw, drained the primary case, & left the drain screw open. It was a simple matter to squirt the primary chain with spray chain lube, while idling in neutral, through the big inspection port, before every days riding. This cured the problem for me.
  Back in the day, the clutch plate cleaning ritual was to soak the fiber lined plates in gasoline, dump the gas down a drain, then BURN off the residue.  I did this quite a few times until I started using the dry primary case/spray lube trick.  Worked for me.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4588 on: June 15, 2014, 07:16:21 pm
Success!!!

Pulled the primary cover and did exactly what I said.  Except I noticed the scissor adjustment wasn't anywhere near where I thought it was.  Took me about ten tries to get the adjustment where I wanted it and then I hosed the clutch pack with a half a can of brake cleaner.  Went around the block and no slipping, so I put the primary cover back on and filled it with engine oil, went for a short ride and I can actually feel the motor torquing real hard and she pulls like a freaking monster now!  PLUS the alternator showed a little signs of heat/rubbing but the clearances were acceptable and is putting out 14v with the lights on!  Man am I a happy father right now!

Scottie J
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 08:20:15 pm by High On Octane »

krimp

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4589 on: June 16, 2014, 06:44:28 pm
I upgraded my pilot lights to LEDs. Follow the link to see the difference.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,19622.new.html#new
2014 Cream C5