Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1850226 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4530 on: June 03, 2014, 12:21:24 am
It sounds like whoever changed the oil/filter before you bought it didn't know about removing the pump inlet screen cover.  They might have just removed the big drain plug and thought they had done everything that was needed.

My pump inlet screen had all sorts of crap on it when I did the first oil change.  A few small pieces of steel fragments on it on the second oil change and basically nothing on it on all of the subsequent changes.
Both magnets do show some very fine metal fragments with every change but nothing major.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #4531 on: June 03, 2014, 11:24:49 am
Got her back!
Lizzy was fixed by a nice man as I didnt have time :/
Running even better because he gave her a good service (bar oil as 2000km on that) out of his heart, chain adjustment, fixed my headlight ect. I was gonna do this on the weekend but :)
Just gotta wait until my new tappet cover arrives then all issues fixed!
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #4532 on: June 04, 2014, 06:06:21 am
Both incandescent tiger eyes burned out. Replaced with amber LEDs from superbright.
Sorry pic is on Photobucket, but I'm having issues posting to here.  >:(
Next up are the speedo LEDs.
The amber LEDs I got from superbright were dimmer than the white stock bulbs. The lights I got for the idiot lights appear to be the wrong polarity. Grrrr >:(

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4533 on: June 04, 2014, 10:19:38 am
olhogrider - you can get "ac/dc" LED bulbs for most of our applications... polarity doesn't matter.

If your harness has two wires going to each bulb socket (i.e., it doesn't rely on the chassis ground), it's very easy to switch the polarity of the socket at the closest harness plug, by switching positions of the little spade connectors in the plug...

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #4534 on: June 04, 2014, 03:06:31 pm
Tonks died mid-ride on my commute in to work today. Just quit right out. Having read the posts recently, my first thought was that the battery terminal plugs had broken. Nope. Intact and strong. Went to check the MIL code, and....nothing. No lights or power at all with the ignition and kill switch both on. So, it's not getting power. Kickstand is up, and even if it weren't, it doesn't kill ALL the power. Okay, time to check fuses. Sure enough, one of the fuses in the fuse bank is blown. Fortunately, Tonks has died in front of a dairy farm (which, in my opinion, is the next best thing to an auto parts store for a break down). Knock on the door, and ask the farmer if he happens to have a 20amp blade fuse handy which, of course he does. A whole box of them. I give him $2 for two fuses and his trouble, and go on my way.

I am figuring that there was still some water working its way out of a switch somewhere from the epic soaking I took last night on my way home when this beauty rolled through:

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

2011 B5 Black - "Tonks" - My first bike. Gone, but fondly remembered.
2010 Harley Iron 883 1200 conversion - work in progress
1998 Yamaha YZF600R - streetfighter Mad Max

bluesdaddy2

• Grease Monkey
  • aka Ross
Reply #4535 on: June 04, 2014, 03:56:09 pm
Tonks died mid-ride on my commute in to work today. Just quit right out.

lemming, Good find but keep an eye on those battery lugs.  Oh, and by the way, I believe the first three fuses in the holder are spares.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 04:31:25 pm by bluesdaddy2 »
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome/Black
1938 Harley-Davidson Model U (patiently waiting some TLC)
1975 HD Sportster (Gone but not forgotten)

Vergennes, VT
Ilion, NY

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #4536 on: June 04, 2014, 04:13:14 pm
Oh, and by the way, I believe the first three fuses in the holder are spares.

Ha! Chuckle.....Figures.  ::)

The cows were not at all sure what to make of me in my ninja-teletubbie motorcycle gear. One trotted over, looked right at me, mooed loudly and proceeded to poop. I chose not to take it personally.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 04:34:08 pm by lemming »
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

2011 B5 Black - "Tonks" - My first bike. Gone, but fondly remembered.
2010 Harley Iron 883 1200 conversion - work in progress
1998 Yamaha YZF600R - streetfighter Mad Max

krimp

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4537 on: June 04, 2014, 06:43:58 pm
On my ride home last night, a rather big guy on a really nice Harley with ape hangers, looked at me and said nice bike. I could barely hear him over the sound of his Harley.

On the ride into work this morning, I had a maintenance man for the city give me a thumbs up while I was waiting for the light. This beauty is getting more attention than a fat topless woman at the city park.
Living in beautiful Colorado Springs, Co.
2014 Cream C5

hogdad

• Scooter
  • 2012 C5 Military Special
Reply #4538 on: June 04, 2014, 08:18:04 pm
Lemming, Great adventure, thanks.

Barry
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Military
2009 H-D Road Glide FLTR
2003 Triumph Bonneville T100
2000 H-D Electra Glide
1980 H-D FXS Low Rider
1979 H-D XLS Roadster
1978 Triumph Bonneville
1969 BSA Lightning
1966 BSA Lightning

hogdad

• Scooter
  • 2012 C5 Military Special
Reply #4539 on: June 04, 2014, 08:48:53 pm
Mounted a fast release Nelson-Rigg Tail Bag to the C5 Military today using existing N-R mounting straps.

It certainly makes it easier using tiedown straps with the pillion bracket installed, plenty of places to attach.

I'm planning on taking this fun motorcycle on a 300/400 mile trip soon to see how I and the bike fair on an extended trip. She ain't no touring bike, but I'm expecting an adventure.

I set some stuff aside to pack. A riding belt, few more tools, rubber gloves, mechanics wire, Leatherman, spare bulbs, tubes, rain suit, water & snacks, and tie-wraps.

I'll increase the rear shocks springs by one setting and see how that works with the extra weight, I'm presently on the third step.

Barry

« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 01:02:15 pm by hogdad »
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Military
2009 H-D Road Glide FLTR
2003 Triumph Bonneville T100
2000 H-D Electra Glide
1980 H-D FXS Low Rider
1979 H-D XLS Roadster
1978 Triumph Bonneville
1969 BSA Lightning
1966 BSA Lightning

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #4540 on: June 05, 2014, 07:24:21 pm
olhogrider - you can get "ac/dc" LED bulbs for most of our applications... polarity doesn't matter.

If your harness has two wires going to each bulb socket (i.e., it doesn't rely on the chassis ground), it's very easy to switch the polarity of the socket at the closest harness plug, by switching positions of the little spade connectors in the plug...
I swapped the wires in the plug. The MIL works fine. I need to run low (or out) of gas to see if the low fuel works. Thanks.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #4541 on: June 05, 2014, 11:27:28 pm
The BA9 amber LEDs used for the Tiger Eyes work well. I can actually see them reflected in my windscreen.  :)
Shoulda looked at my instrument lights first though. Ask me why...
Local Autozone had the spade-type needed, and good golly miss Molly I can actually SEE them now!  ;)
Replaced the tail light with an 1157W LED. Much brighter. Just not sure if it's $40 brighter.  ???
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #4542 on: June 07, 2014, 04:23:33 pm
It has been around 110F nearly every afternoon this week, that in combination with having to pick up kids after work meant that I didn't ride the RE for my daily commute all week.

I got up early enough to enjoy a ride before the temps got too hot and caught the sunrise.  Went to one of my favorite places to rev the motor; an abandoned 5-story parking garage  8)

Enjoyed the sunrise from here while having a short stogy.

After cruising for a while I decided to take advantage of the early hours and shoot a few pics at the retro Texaco near my house.  I saw another black RE had posted a pic on here from a while back but cannot find it in the members pics.

And for the hell of it...

-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4543 on: June 07, 2014, 11:04:09 pm
The black and white picture is perfect! :)
Love the "CONTAINS LEAD" sign too.  Lots better than the "Contains up to 10 percent.....la la la" crap on modern pumps. :(
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4544 on: June 08, 2014, 04:39:17 am
The Blackhawk kicked my ass today.  Still have a little bit left to finish, but I did get the new alternator secured properly and the primary cover buttoned up and also got the new rear sets installed.  Long long day.  Pics tomorrow.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King