Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1813542 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4260 on: April 10, 2014, 11:53:05 pm
Scottie, Figured as much...  Any idea what size the fuel sensor is?  Or would the best bet be to just carry the whole tank in?

Just take whatever parts that thread into the tank with you.  Most hardware stores have thread gauges that you can thread your hardware into to determine what size threads you have.  Fastenal and Ace Hardware are my 2 favorite hardware stores to go to.  Fastenal has the best selection and carry more of the hard to find sizes.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4261 on: April 11, 2014, 01:07:41 am
The dual throttle cable is to keep the throttle butterfly from fluttering open on backfires, etc.  One cable pulls it open, the other keeps tension so it doesn't fly open too far.  A carb is very tolerant of that behavior, an EFI with throttle position sensor is not ;)  I'm sure you could limp home with pull only if you had to.

Scott

Yeah, I keep forgetting about this thing being EFI.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4262 on: April 11, 2014, 03:23:21 am
Rode the Blackhawk to work today and ran some errands on lunch.  I was skeptical at first as I have been having multiple catastrophic electrical failures that were caused by the primary cover mounting bolt holes stripping out.  Then, since Sunday I've been blowing fuses after riding for any given amount of time.  And yesterday after installing the Tympanium and playing around taking videos, I noticed I blew the fuse again (if you didn't happen to notice in the video I posted) which was disappointing.  Then I remembered that the horn button on the dip switch was grounding out when you pushed it and would blow the fuse.  So I pulled all the wires and tested the switch with my volt meter and sure enough it was grounding out.  So I yanked that out.   But then when I warming the bike up to leave this morning I noticed with the lights off voltage in the low 14's, tail light only low 13's and headlight dropped to 12.2 at idle and 12.6ish at revs.  So I just rode into work with the tail light only and checked the voltage again when I got to work and it was reading 13.5 on the tail light and 13 with the headlight.  So I called Dave over at Arvada Bike Company and explained to him what was going on and he told me that those readings are perfectly normal for the Tympanium rectifier/regulator.  So I ran my errands and rode home (28 miles) with the headlight on and every time I shut off the bike the battery was right at 12.65.  YAY!     :D 

The only issue I noticed was a little chatter coming from the primary case which I assume is the clutch basket bolts still rubbing against the scissor arm a little bit.  I also noticed the last few miles before I got off of the freeway a little more vibration than normal at higher RPMs.  I assume that is related the head steady loosening up.  I couldn't see the bolts that go into the head loose, but that doesn't mean they aren't.  I'll wake up a little early and do a quick once over and tighten nuts and bolt, Tho I believe most all of them have loctite on them by now.  Ehh, who knows with these old buggers.  For all I know I'm just paranoid and there wasn't even extra vibration and I'm just riding faster than I could before.  ;D

I'm still paranoid as shit tho because I have seriously lost count how many times my electrical failed in the first year of operation.  BUT  It feels soooooo damn good knowing that the electrical system SHOULD be OK now and knowing that I addressed the known problems causing failure.  PLUS the addition of a rock soild clutch assembly AND knowing that the primary cover is tight as a Nun's.....  Sorry, I was getting excited.  And FWIW The Blackhawk Envelope is about 1.5" thick with receipts now.  I am just as curious as I am frightened to add them all up.    :o

Scottie J

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4263 on: April 11, 2014, 04:12:06 am
Clutch plates can clack back and forth in the basket.  Most notable on Ducati dry clutches but most bikes do it to some degree if you really listen, even wet clutches.

Scott

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4264 on: April 11, 2014, 04:50:21 am
Clutch plates can clack back and forth in the basket.  Most notable on Ducati dry clutches but most bikes do it to some degree if you really listen, even wet clutches.

Scott

Even if I'm down idling with the clutch engaged?  I've never heard of that, but that very well could be what I'm hearing.  It definitely sounds like it's coming from the clutch area.  As far as the vibrations go I'm either paranoid or the crank bearing is walking out because I forgot the washer between the primary cover and case, because I just checked the head steady and it was pretty tight.  I highly doubt that bearing can walk out tho, not saying it's not possible but.  Anyways, the races are in 2 days and I don't have time to tear it down right now.  I'm sure it's fine.  :)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4265 on: April 11, 2014, 05:28:21 am
Let it idle in neutral with the clutch in, then with the clutch out.  You'll probably notice a slight change in the sound with the clutch in different positions.  If so, it's the clutch parts making that noise.

Scott

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4266 on: April 11, 2014, 12:52:35 pm
Thanks for that info Scott, I will do what you said and see if the sound changes pitch.  It actually makes perfect sense after sleeping on it.  I remember when I had it all apart that I noticed the notches on the clutch basket were worn and beat up a bit.  Nothing bad enough to cause concern, but I can see how they could possibly chatter around with that bit of extra play in there.

OH!  AND DON'T SPLASH LACQUER THINNER IN YOUR EYES!!!

Random, I know, but seriously, I jacked my eye up at the end of the day yesterday.  I was done jambing in a door for the car I'm working on and was cleaning out my paint gun.  My final step in cleaning my guns is to take a clean paper towel with clean lacquer thinner and wipe it all down.  Well, when I put the thinner soaked towel into the paint cup on my gun, the corner of the paper towel flipped up and threw a good size blob of thinner directly into my eye.  Now I've gotten thinner in my eyes before, but just a drop or 2, it hurts but goes away soon after.  Yesterday it felt like someone was driving a hot soldering iron thru my eyeball.  I looked on the computer when I got home for what to do and found a response from a doctor that said there isn't much you can do but continue to irrigate it, and severe cases can take several days to heal.  Anyways, when I woke up this morning my eye was very crusty which was irritating just trying to clean out without trying to irritate my eye more.  My eye isn't burning like it's on fire anymore, but it is definitely still sore.  I'll be wearing safety glasses from now on when cleaning my guns.

Scottie J

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #4267 on: April 11, 2014, 01:57:23 pm
Nothing.
I'm down two mechanics, up one aircraft, and now have to deal with the aftermath of one of my brand spanking new ships in a crumpled mess on top of a hospital. just as the weather gets perfect for a good ride.  :(
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #4268 on: April 11, 2014, 06:06:02 pm
I got in my first decent ride of the season. Weather was perfect. Terrain was mountain rollercoaster & town traffic in Jasper Ga. The Stabil apparently worked, & I ran just fine with last falls gas. Really a happy experience, sure enjoy listening to my Cocktail Shaker sing. Coming home it will hold 50mph in top gear all the way up the mountain. Life is good!
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4269 on: April 11, 2014, 08:34:17 pm
The dual throttle cable has been on bikes since the '60s, long before EFI. It is there to keep a throttle from sticking open! Single throttle cabled bikes did that more than occasionally. Had a few do it to me!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4270 on: April 11, 2014, 09:14:43 pm
6 months in the waiting: a replacement tank.
As RE could only deliver one in black my dealer found a local expert painter who mixed the proper color and turned out a stupendous tank. Best tank on an Enfield ever: good paint, plus super duper lacquer on top.

Build quality is equally good: sturdier and a smarter set up of the rear mounts. As was pointed out here earlier the front is wider by 5.4 mm which required the purchase of a longer bolt and a pair of thick washers. The rear needs only one, normal sized, washer; the bolt fits but only just.
The new tank is a tat shorter than the original one: it does not rub the seat, which make it handier to take off and mount. I also have the impression it's tiny bit flatter, I expect a smaller volume.

That was yesterday. Today I applied the relief letters from a well-known UK supplier.  ;)
Feast your eyes on the before and after.

As an extra, an image of the blossomming. After a winter with a few fierce storms and lots of rain the spring is early and with a vengeance. Woohoo.  ;D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4271 on: April 11, 2014, 09:16:44 pm
Great paint and the lettering looks killer!

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4272 on: April 12, 2014, 12:53:08 am
Nothing.
I'm down two mechanics, up one aircraft, and now have to deal with the aftermath of one of my brand spanking new ships in a crumpled mess on top of a hospital. just as the weather gets perfect for a good ride.  :(

Whaaaa?  I guess my job isn't so stressful after all!

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4273 on: April 12, 2014, 12:57:57 am
I put my factory dual seat back on - wow, I sure don't like that thing!  I've forgotten how hard it is!  It passes so many vibes, it affects my vision - I can read signs like "STOP" ok, but smaller signs look blurry...  :o

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4274 on: April 12, 2014, 02:23:37 am
Rode to work again and detailed the bike while I was waiting for paint to dry.  Tho I must say my detailing technique is quite unorthodox for my bike.  Am I the only one who details my bike with lacquer thinner and brake cleaner?  ???  ;D

Now I am waiting for it to cool back down so I can adjust the valves and double check the clatter coming from the clutch area.  Got to get ready for the races tomorrow!

Scottie J