Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1811192 times)

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4125 on: March 23, 2014, 08:37:10 pm
Regarding the knee trick: it works like the sails in front of a clipper. Allows the ship to travel closer to the wind, and faster.
Lots of sailor tricks work for bikes too. Likes knots,  ;)
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4126 on: March 23, 2014, 09:58:10 pm
Regarding the knee trick: it works like the sails in front of a clipper. Allows the ship to travel closer to the wind, and faster.

Choose one:

:o

;D

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4127 on: March 23, 2014, 11:23:16 pm
@ suitcase

Ah!  The old sump rag still lingers. :)
That happens to a lot of us owners of the UCE powered motorcycles.  You've seen the last of it though so don't worry about more of that crap accumulating on the pump inlet screen.

As for chips and steel filings on the two drain magnets, those will continue to show up until the engine has over 2000 miles on it.  I think most of them come from the transmission gears as they finish wearing in plus some of them come from the "dogs" on the gears which slam into one another whenever a gear change is made.

Sounds like all is well.  Enjoy the ride. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4128 on: March 24, 2014, 12:03:01 am
Choose one:

:o

;D

I'll take both:  :o ;D

On thursday I had a 60kph crosswind on the highway and still got a maxspeed (gps reading) of 127kph!

moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4129 on: March 24, 2014, 12:12:04 am
Un-winterized my bike and went for a ride!!!

Installed the new battery (positioning of terminals is worse than the OEM brick!), checked the oil, checked the tire pressure, unplugged the exhaust, squirted about a teaspoon of oil into the plug hole and cycled the engine a bunch of times.  Decided to try kicking it - fired right up on the second kick.  8)

29℉... "decomp clatter" went on for about 6 minutes ("there's nothing wrong with your engine - just ride it").  Rode into town and back and froze my arse off.  Came home, suited up in my new FirstGear Thermo suit, which is awesomely warm, and took a longer spin, about 10 miles, around the hills - fun, but the frost heaves about wrecked my wrists.  I was standing on the pegs as often as I was sitting, which isn't so easy with this riding position.

Even so...

Of course, we're supposed to get dumped on with more snow on Wednesday...  :(

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4130 on: March 24, 2014, 02:00:58 am
I was standing on the pegs as often as I was sitting, which isn't so easy with this riding position.

These things severely need rear sets!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4131 on: March 24, 2014, 02:03:11 am
Hell Yeah mattz!!!  Proud of ya!   :D

I did the primary cover thread inserts today.  I drilled all 3 holes the perfect depth as all 3 coils bottomed out about 1/3 of a turn in from the surface.  I have a slight concern tho.  I was certain that these holes bottomed out at about 1 1/4" and were not a thru hole.  But when I blew air into the hole to blow out the tang nothing came out of any on the holes.  Which means I probably have metal shavings in the crank housing.   :/  I'll probably just run it a few minutes to try and flush the shavings out and then do an oil change.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

FiRE Comms

• Bulleteer
  • '11 C5
Reply #4132 on: March 24, 2014, 02:05:51 am
wrecked it :(

some pics my wife took...
Chris

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4133 on: March 24, 2014, 02:09:30 am
Awwwwwww  Those are just blemishes.  Get yourself healed up first, it will only take you a few hours to get your bike road worthy again.   :)

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

FiRE Comms

• Bulleteer
  • '11 C5
Reply #4134 on: March 24, 2014, 02:25:18 am
the bars are out of true as well I was kind of leaning towards the ace bars, any thoughts..?  the air box doesn't close any more so that will get the PVC treatment, as for the fenders, well we will see and the blinkers were on their way to the parts box anyway just didn't have the budget for it now... some how the HL still works so just a new ring there.  oh and the foot rest got bent, so that is a definite replacement.
Chris

cstorckiii

• Bulleteer
  • In tune with the ancient line of Moto
Reply #4135 on: March 24, 2014, 03:00:06 am
Two words: Mulholland Highway!
With a 500cc Bullet under your ass, the world is in your fist.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #4136 on: March 24, 2014, 02:17:14 pm
the bars are out of true as well I was kind of leaning towards the ace bars, any thoughts..?  the air box doesn't close any more so that will get the PVC treatment, as for the fenders, well we will see and the blinkers were on their way to the parts box anyway just didn't have the budget for it now... some how the HL still works so just a new ring there.  oh and the foot rest got bent, so that is a definite replacement.
Very Sorry to hear of your crash. foot pegs can usually be bent back to into the correct place with a large pipe slipped over for leverage. There is a selection of BIKEMASTER BARS on Ebay for $24.95 each (you will need any 7/8" bar). They offer Ace clubman bars. I use the "superbike" low rise, that are the true vintage British pattern. I also prefer the DRAG BARS to Ace clubman(which are to far forward & can hit the tank). All the bikemaster brand bars are good quality, nice chrome. You will need to drill little holes for the placement pin on your control clamps. heres a picture of my Bikemaster Superbike Bars on my G5 Deluxe.  Good luck.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #4137 on: March 26, 2014, 04:17:58 pm
Trouble sleeping last night so cleaned/lubed my cables and since she's just over 2k miles now changed the oil and filter.
It's gonna be a week before I can ride again, so while on the lift I'll get to some cleaning and polishing before I take her down.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

FiRE Comms

• Bulleteer
  • '11 C5
Reply #4138 on: March 27, 2014, 05:03:47 pm
stripped the bike down and noticed the left side fork stop is bent...  think I can tap in a new stop?  everything else is as expected...
Chris

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #4139 on: March 27, 2014, 05:23:07 pm
Hi, A little hard for me to tell just what I was seeing in the photo. It may be possible to bend the stop tab back with a big Punch & Hammer, failing that you certainly could drill & tap (if you don't break it off straightening).
I would be bit of concerned about the Fork or Frame being twisted. Newer Enfield single down tube Frames are not as heavy as the old ones. It is very hard to see slight fork & frame damage. When I totaled my Kawasaki W650, I couldn't see the frame/fork damage the insurance adjuster found at all. You could probably tell by riding it, but it would be good to know before a lot of work, money & time passes.  Good Luck.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure