Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1811171 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4020 on: February 25, 2014, 04:28:22 am
Boy!
I never figured you for someone who would give up so easily.

OK.  Yes, you mentioned they had the National Course thread insert but not the National Fine thread.  Whoopty do for my Subaru!   So what?

The National Course threads in a Heli-Coil insert will be more than strong enough for the job.

The course threads get torqued to a slightly smaller torque like the 5/16-24 for this task might get a torque of 11 ft.lbs and the 5/16-18 gets a torque of 10 ft/lbs.
That means we're talking about a difference in the clamp load of 2600 pounds for the course vs 2800 pounds for the fine threads.  For what it's doing, either of these loads are overkill.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4021 on: February 25, 2014, 04:34:39 am
Boy!
I never figured you for someone who would give up so easily......

LOL  That was PURE sarcasm!   ;D  Like I'd actually give up that easy.   ;D  I'm going to give Fastenal a call tomorrow and see if they have a 5/16-24 helicoil available.  If, I'll probably just re-thread all 3 holes and be done with it.  And if they give me trouble in the future I'll just slap a new coil in the hole.  Ah hell, it's still technically winter anyways, right?!   ;)

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4022 on: February 25, 2014, 04:42:01 am
You might want to look at Time-Sert instead of Heli-coil.  They're a little more to put in but also a bit better.  Insure either will be better than what you've been dealing with.

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4023 on: February 25, 2014, 05:38:45 am
The advantage of the Time-Sert is it is designed to lock itself into the threaded hole.  This keeps it from backing out when the bolt is removed when something needs to be replaced.
The disadvantage (in some cases) of the Time-Sert is to accomplish this locking in, the thread on the outside of the insert must be quite a bit larger than a Heli-Coil made for the same internal thread.

With many situations this is not a problem but when dealing with inserts in cast bosses there often isn't enough room to put the larger thread in without seriously decreasing the wall thickness.

If some thread locking compound is used on the outside thread of the Heli-Coil when it is being installed, they seldom back out when the internal bolt is removed.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4024 on: February 25, 2014, 07:33:24 am
Thanks for the details Arizoni.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4025 on: February 25, 2014, 01:06:32 pm
When I've done helicoils in the past I've always used a bit of loctitie on the coils and them dry a good 12 hours before I assembled it back together.  Thanks for the heads up on the difference in those coils.  I'll probably just stick with the helicoils as I don't want to drill out anymore than I absolutely have to.

Scottie J

Roy L.

• Scooter
Reply #4026 on: February 26, 2014, 01:32:56 am
Just think about my bike is all I can do pretty much atm... I'm in Finland and still iced-in!
Howdy all, btw.
I'm an expat Brit living up here. Joined up to hopefully share some experiences. I have a 2012 EFI Electra. It's been a funny winter this year so maybe I'll get to roll out in April.
I am though, just about to carry out a few mods.
Medium-sized windshield (39€)

Throwover luggage racks (56£ UK)

Handlebars, 80cmx130cm  (28£)

Mirror extensions (19£)

Crashbars (45£)

Leanburn service kit (20£)

Couple of blank spare keys (3£) All the parts from Britain coming from Hitcocks. They charge £30 shipping for 30kg - which is pretty decent IMO! (BTW. I do not work for them etc! - Hope that lot didn't break any house rules! Just thought it may be interesting..)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 01:38:41 am by Roy L. »

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4027 on: February 26, 2014, 03:09:13 am
Hi Roy,

Welcome to the forum!  I'm having the same winter as you but on the other side of the world!  Gotta ask, where did you find that windscreen?  Don't think I saw it on mr Hs site before.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Roy L.

• Scooter
Reply #4028 on: February 26, 2014, 05:57:36 am
Hi Dan. Thanks!
The windshield is from a big supplier of generic car parts here called Biltema. It's a Swedish company. They have lots of stores all over Scandinavia. Here's the Screen on the Finnish website:
BILTEMA]http://www.biltema.fi/fi/Autoilu---MP/Moottoripyorat/Lisavarusteet/Styling/Tuulilasi-yleiskayttoinen-82644/]BILTEMA

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #4029 on: February 26, 2014, 04:49:37 pm
The advantage of the Time-Sert is it is designed to lock itself into the threaded hole.  This keeps it from backing out when the bolt is removed when something needs to be replaced.
The disadvantage (in some cases) of the Time-Sert is to accomplish this locking in, the thread on the outside of the insert must be quite a bit larger than a Heli-Coil made for the same internal thread.

With many situations this is not a problem but when dealing with inserts in cast bosses there often isn't enough room to put the larger thread in without seriously decreasing the wall thickness.

If some thread locking compound is used on the outside thread of the Heli-Coil when it is being installed, they seldom back out when the internal bolt is removed.

Coincidentally, I have this same stripped-out hole scenario at work right now, with holes drilled & (until recently) tapped through the 3/16"-thick flanges of an aluminum I-beam...  I was thinking of overboring the stripped holes and Helicoiling them back to the appriopriate size (1/4"-20tpi), but would a Time-Sert be better?
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4030 on: February 26, 2014, 09:19:19 pm
A Time-Sert might work in your application if you can find one that isn't over 1/4 inch (in your case) long.

I don't know what lengths are available but most thread inserts are at least one thread diameter long or longer.
 The bottom 3 threads in a Time-Sert are the area that expands to lock it into the hole and at least one of these will be hanging outside the far side of the plate where it won't have any material to load against.  If you can only find Time-Sert inserts that are longer than 1/4" long, they most likely won't lock in place.

Heli-Coil's are also available in lengths of 1X, 1.5X, 2X... lengths where the number is multiplied times the thread diameter.  That makes the shortest length available for your 1/4-20 thread, 1/4 inch long.
If the Heli-Coil is bonded in place you could grind off the bottom  protruding thread and still end up with a good strong thread.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Magoo

• Bulleteer
Reply #4031 on: February 27, 2014, 10:53:30 am
Replaced the Mickey Mouse ears on my C5 today with a set of the Oberon Streetfighter bar ends. So long shoulders!!
My final aesthetic mod will be to replace the bigass sprung seat with an unsprung. From reading posts on here there doesn't appear to be a wealth of options.
But I have found something that looks promising from Bulletwala.

http://img.inkfrog.com/click_enlarge1.php?image=VE_RE-K00063C.JPG&username=royalspares&aid=792039947
Anyone used these? Can't seem to find an image of them actually fitted onto a bike to see how they look but they appear to be a simple bolt on job.
Anyone?

Royal Stargazer

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #4032 on: March 01, 2014, 08:02:54 pm
Sadly, my poor bike is still holed up in a garage with an ill-fitting cover and a battery conditioner... So... I ordered some saddlebags and the EFI silencer. Then I looked at some pictures from the day I got her and got all choked up because I freaking hate winter.
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT, A racer for more than just cafes
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, Two doors too many
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet, two-wheeled time machine

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #4033 on: March 02, 2014, 04:36:40 am
............... I freaking hate winter.

amen brother ....
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4034 on: March 02, 2014, 01:26:45 pm
Yep, back to cold and snow here in Denver too.