Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1811101 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3900 on: January 23, 2014, 05:20:06 am
I went down to check on things.  The battery is still a bit low but I put it in and she fired right up, three times in a row.  So I'm hopeful there was no harm done.  New solenoids are on the way, I'm definitely replacing the lawn mower one, but at least I can keep working on other projects.  Maybe get a battery cutoff switch ;)

Scott
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 03:44:58 pm by Ducati Scotty »

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3901 on: January 23, 2014, 09:00:15 pm
Exactly same thing happened to mine, two years ago. But it also took the sprag clutch out (or the other way round; can't tell).
Battery recovered perfectly, it is still going strong, celebrating its 3rd birthday in a few months.

What would've caused the failure: lawn mower's too weak, incompatible?

moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3902 on: January 23, 2014, 09:25:44 pm
I suspect an RE at 75mph puts out more vibes than a garden tractor ;)  Moto specific solenoids are already on the way.

Scott

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3903 on: January 24, 2014, 12:04:58 am
yeah, but they are good vibes  ;D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3904 on: January 24, 2014, 12:06:16 am
For me, yes.  For the lawn mower part, not so much it seems.  ;)

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #3905 on: January 24, 2014, 06:04:24 am
In any case, if anyone heads this way, PM me and maybe we'll meet up!

The touring show I'm on plays Popejoy Hall the end of April/beginning of May...  Anywhere I can rent a motorcycle for a week in ABQ?
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #3906 on: January 24, 2014, 02:46:04 pm
Not far from the U:
http://www.pjsmotorcycles.com/Default.asp

North end of town off I-25:
http://www.thunderbirdhd.com/index.asp

Closest to the U:
http://www.teamrands.com/

On which show are you touring?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 02:49:03 pm by heloego »
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #3908 on: January 24, 2014, 05:53:15 pm
Musical or Dramatic adaptation?
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3909 on: January 25, 2014, 05:57:51 pm
New solenoids should be here today :)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3910 on: January 25, 2014, 06:36:35 pm
Buttoned up the Primary Mishap (sounds like a punk/metal band  ;D ) last night and made a successful test run with almost no issues.  It appears I was able to save the alternator somehow.  I used automotive grade black epoxy (you guys WISH you had access to this epoxy, freaking fantastic stuff  :D ) to refill all the areas where the epoxy on the alternator had cooked and broken off.  I also recoated the entire inner surface with epoxy and smoothed it out with a small drum sander until the rotor and alternator had a good fit.  I reinstalled the rotor with everything else off and ran the motor to examine the trueness of the rotor.  It appeared to be correct, much better than it was anyways.  Then while the bike was running, I held 180 grit paper to the rotor as I sprayed brake cleaner on it.  This removed all the crap that had glued itself to the rotor, it also looked like it was removing a small amount of metal, so I kept sanding for a bit longer to try and get a bit more clearance.  All said and done, I ended up with a .007 gap, which to me still seems a bit too tight, but we'll see.

I went a bit different on the reinstallation of the outer primary cover.  I wanted to make sure that this punk beeotch didn't leak again, so I removed the center mounting stud and went down to Ace Hardware.  I was able to determine that a 3/8"x26 Witworth is just a smidge smaller diameter than than a 10mmx1.0 bolt but have a nearly identical thread pitch.  So I got a 10mmx1.0 bolt about 1/4" longer than the stud I had.  Went back to the garage and went to work.  As it turns out, the 10mmx1.0 was a real tight but I could get the first 2 threads started.  I was skeptical but determined to make this work, so I removed the bolt, sprayed a BUNCH of Liquid Wrench into the threads, started the bolt again and started forcing the bolt in with my cordless impact.  Guess what?  I ended up with a primary cover with a locking thread bolt!  :D   Now, I'll admit it was a PITA getting the bolt lined up with the clutch arm and what not, but I made it work.  I also ran a bead of Ultra Black silicone on the bottom half of the primary cover and let it dry overnight.  Went out there after work last night, filled her back up with some Type F ATF.  Now it's only leaking from the clutch shaft seal and I'm not too worried about that.  My problem is that now that I have the correct amount of fluid in the primary, my clutch is slipping like a mofo again.  >:(  Oh well, at least I can ride again.  And for the record, you probably won't be able to do this mod without an impact wrench.  You'd be there a LONG time with a ratchet.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3911 on: January 25, 2014, 06:43:25 pm
Are you sure the clutch plates aren't intended to be dry? My old BSA Spitfire Scrambler and Gold Star (1959s) had dry plate clutches. You only put enough oil in to just touch the bottom run of the chain. The plates shouldn't get any oil on them as they would definitely slip. Your plates look similar to the Beezers.
Bare
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 06:45:42 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #3912 on: January 25, 2014, 09:25:27 pm
[quote author=Scottie J link=topic=7829.msg201735#msg2017   

filled her back up with some Type F ATF.  Now it's only leaking from the clutch shaft seal and I'm not too worried about that.  My problem is that now that I have the correct amount of fluid in the primary, my clutch is slipping like a mofo again.  >:(  Oh well, at least I can ride again.  And for the record, you probably won't be able to do this mod without an impact wrench.  You'd be there a LONG time with a ratchet.

Scottie
[/quote]

I had a similar problem with a few of my of my British bikes. Older seal technology being what it was, prompted proactive measures.
My BSA Gold Star & M20 both had leather seals on the engine shafts that would leak oil into the primary from new. The bikes also had "dry clutches". Faced with the unsolvable dilemma of keeping the clutches dry, I came up with this solution; I simply removed the drain plug from the primary case & left it out(running it dry). I'd park over a cookie sheet drip pan, then before a days riding, I would spray Aerosol Dry Chain Lube through the inspection hole cover onto the primary chain. This would lubricate the primary chain for a days riding, & worked keeping my clutch dry. 
Yes in a perfect world old machines wouldn't leak, or get primary oil bath on dry clutches, but they are what they are, & that is what I did to deal with mine. I love that this is not an issue with the unit construction engined bikes.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3913 on: January 25, 2014, 11:35:02 pm
I've had 2 alternator burn up already from a lack of lubrication, so I'm not running it dry unless I have the rotor machined.  I was actually thinking of putting some Trans-X in there and see if that helps with the clutch slippage.  It really helps old automatics from slipping.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3914 on: January 25, 2014, 11:48:49 pm
Can you just get clutch plates meant to run wet?

Scott