Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1811361 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3510 on: October 16, 2013, 06:23:44 pm
Nice clean install.

Scott

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #3511 on: October 16, 2013, 09:12:24 pm
I guess I'll just have to imagine what it looks like on your bike since you haven't posted a photo ! ( hint hint )

In what location did you mount it?  Pics?

Cheers,

Dan K.

Hi,

I mounted it at the location of the stock horn, exactly like Catbird's install in the post before Scotty. I will post a pic or two later as well.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #3512 on: October 17, 2013, 07:42:48 am
I will post a pic or two later as well.

Here are some pics. Still gotta give it some finishing touches to make the wiring neater, take off the stickers and make it more conforming to the bike's colour.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #3513 on: October 17, 2013, 02:31:56 pm
Thanks JVS that looks great . Wow - your bike is so clean...!
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3514 on: October 17, 2013, 11:35:57 pm
   Love the swords on the front motor mount. Looks perfect...  What symbol is that ? I've seen it before.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3515 on: October 18, 2013, 12:09:30 am
   Love the swords on the front motor mount. Looks perfect...  What symbol is that ? I've seen it before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khanda_(Sikh_symbol)

Don't take it too literally though. Its more of a religious-cultural representation these days.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3516 on: October 18, 2013, 01:37:58 am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khanda_(Sikh_symbol)

Don't take it too literally though. Its more of a religious-cultural representation these days.

Very cool and very interesting...... A group of people to admire.  And who could argue with what seems to be the main theme......

"The guiding principles of the Sikh faith are Truth, Equality, Freedom and Justice."

"Sikhs believe in the equality of humankind, the concept of universal brotherhood"

"Sikh teaching emphasizes the principle of equality of all humans and rejects discrimination on the basis of caste, creed, and gender. "

An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #3517 on: October 18, 2013, 01:42:12 am
Yup ^

As the Wiki article shows, it depicts the notion of "Degh Tegh Fateh" - Degh signifies the importance of providing food to the people and Tegh signifies protecting the people from any wrong-doings. Fateh is just saying, 'victory to the degh and tegh'.  :-X

I love it too  :D Thanks to my parents for raising me with the guidance of the teachings that the Sikh gurus provided. But anyways, this is the Enfield forum, Bullets are awesomeeee

Thanks JVS that looks great . Wow - your bike is so clean...!

Thanks Dave. The magic camera doesn't pick up the amount of dust the bike has collected over the past few weeks, being quite windy etc  ;)

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #3518 on: October 18, 2013, 04:39:11 am
Here are some pics. Still gotta give it some finishing touches to make the wiring neater, take off the stickers and make it more conforming to the bike's colour.
Hi, Unless my eyes deceive me, the trumpet openings on that Bad Boy horn are pointed to the rear(backwards). It may sound loud to you, but it won't to anyone in front of you, which is where it's most needed. Enclosing picture of my Bad Boy mounted so it points to the front. I eventually found I preferred a more compact FIAMM High note Nautilus type horn & sold my Bad Boy.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #3519 on: October 18, 2013, 04:59:59 am
Hi, Unless my eyes deceive me, the trumpet openings on that Bad Boy horn are pointed to the rear(backwards). It may sound loud to you, but it won't to anyone in front of you, which is where it's most needed. Enclosing picture of my Bad Boy mounted so it points to the front. I eventually found I preferred a more compact FIAMM High note Nautilus type horn & sold my Bad Boy.

Yes you are right, it is facing backwards. I did that so that the trumpet thinggy doesn't get unwanted particles in there as I don't want to end up cleaning the horn every now and then. There was a way I could make the trumpet thing face towards the front, but I didn't opt for that.

And as far as the loudness is concerned, it lives up to its name. It is very loud indeed, not to myself, but to other people. You have to use the relay to notice the full potential. Trust me, it is quite loud. Almost like a train/big-rig type of horn, you can hear it from 200 + metres.

Catbird

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3520 on: October 18, 2013, 12:53:11 pm
Yes you are right, it is facing backwards. I did that so that the trumpet thinggy doesn't get unwanted particles in there as I don't want to end up cleaning the horn every now and then. There was a way I could make the trumpet thing face towards the front, but I didn't opt for that...
+1
I did the same thing to reduce the potential for water damage if I get caught in the rain.  Actually, I would have preferred the bell to face downwards.
1972 Honda CB350 twin - sold
1976 Honda GL1000 Goldwing - sold
1996 BMW R1100RT - sold
2005 BMW R1200RT - sold
2011 Vespa GTS 300
2013 Royal Enfield C5 Military
2014 Honda CTX700N DCT
2014 Honda CB1100

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #3521 on: October 18, 2013, 05:24:57 pm
Not to be argumentative, but You are decreasing the potential of the horn by at least 50%-unless you need to warn drivers behind you. Assuming rain could get to the top of the vertical trumpet, All you would need to do is HONK IT before you put it away, to get rid of any water or particles. I sold my entire Bad Boy because it was to bulky, for about $15.to a forum member, & don't miss it.
  My FIAMM, is nearly as loud, faces forward, doesn't stick out, & no relay is needed.  Sorry to disagree.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Catbird

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3522 on: October 18, 2013, 05:51:29 pm
I think it matters very little  because there are so many different scenarios that are possible.  A common situation that I encounter is for a vehicle beginning to merge into my lane from the side.  Should the bell be facing forward, backward, up or down? Maybe someone should come up with a remote control turret device.  :)
1972 Honda CB350 twin - sold
1976 Honda GL1000 Goldwing - sold
1996 BMW R1100RT - sold
2005 BMW R1200RT - sold
2011 Vespa GTS 300
2013 Royal Enfield C5 Military
2014 Honda CTX700N DCT
2014 Honda CB1100

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3523 on: October 18, 2013, 07:27:04 pm
Crossed 13,000 miles on the way to work this morning.  Cold but clear, great day for a ride.

Scott

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #3524 on: October 19, 2013, 01:06:35 am
Not to be argumentative, but You are decreasing the potential of the horn by at least 50%-unless you need to warn drivers behind you. Assuming rain could get to the top of the vertical trumpet, All you would need to do is HONK IT before you put it away, to get rid of any water or particles. I sold my entire Bad Boy because it was to bulky, for about $15.to a forum member, & don't miss it.
  My FIAMM, is nearly as loud, faces forward, doesn't stick out, & no relay is needed.  Sorry to disagree.

It's all good! To have an even situation, I turned the horn around so now the trumpet is facing outwards, i.e. towards the left of the bike, looking away. Just like the stock horns on some Harleys. And now it doesn't look too 'bulky' when you look at it from the front. So, I'm still satisfied - less risk of stuff getting in there and at the same time being more effective. It was all good in the previous direction too. But now it's better, I guess. No regrets  :D