Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1812143 times)

benknrobbers

• Scooter
  • Bohica
Reply #2820 on: April 06, 2013, 03:21:20 am
I got my motorcycle safety course done today, and took my bike out for the first ride without worrying about getting busted.
Always prepare for the worst and your surprises will always be pleasant ones.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2821 on: April 06, 2013, 04:56:57 am
Royalista
After the lower rear engine mount bolt that passes thru the frame and the engine sheared off I looked into replacing mine.

That bolt/nut is supposed to be torqued to 50 N/M (37 lb/ft) and it is a 10mm bolt.
Armed with this information I calculated the strength requirement of the bolt and threads.
It turns out that the stress level is around 63,000 psi.
The lower class screw/bolt materials (grade 2) are only good for a load of around 55,000 psi proof load and 74,000 psi tensile load to failure.  That leaves no margin for a working life.

I solved my problem by finding some 3/8-16 heat treated screw stock which has a tensile strength of around 120,000 psi and although it cost over 3 times the cost of the low strength stuff and it just about removed the teeth from a new hack saw blade when I cut it off, it's doing the job nicely.
Because of the high stress loads in this bolt, be sure to buy at least a grade 5 nut.  Grade 7 is even better because it matches the strength of the heat treated stock.

If you used a low strength bolt, keep an eye on it.  It may fail again.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2822 on: April 06, 2013, 11:13:36 pm
Arizoni
I spent this day studying the available manuals and catalogues to find out more about both bolts. As in science, resulted in few answers & more questions.

The bolt you described is listed in the spare parts books for E5/G5 and for C5. The other one, that joins both sides of the frame and then screws into the LHS mount for sidestand & footpeg, is not in E5/G5, but is in C5.
Which would imply that my E5 (built May, 2010) has the frame and the footpegs from a C5.
Riding standing on the footpegs would then load the LHS mount through the LHS footpeg and so cause additional stress to both bolts.

This brings up new questions: do the current E5/G5's have that frame & footpegs that figures in the catalogue? How is the RHS footpeg linked to the frame of a regular E5/G5: according to the book its frame does not have that 'promontory' on the C5 (or is it an omission by the drawer?).

Your information does help to understand at least part of the problem, and not the least. Indeed they should be beefed up as suggested. Adding a hard rubber ring to the longer bolt will relieve the stress but the other bolt just received a new nut, that will not last. I'll take your advice and will change both bolts with higher grade.
If others have had issues with these bolts it might be useful to put this info into its own thread?

moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2823 on: April 08, 2013, 09:26:58 am
Lots!

I got the new Bridgestone BT45s mounted on the bike.  I just managed a short ride in wet conditions but at least I started getting the mold release compound off.  Can't really tell much yet but they were hand off stable at 75mph.

New chain and sprockets.  Ugh!  What a pain!  First shock was the sprocket price: $75 rear and $60 front.  They gave me $10 off on the front, we both thought $60 was too much.  I got a good deal on the DID x-ring chain from Indy Superbikes.  I also had to buy a $30 socket and adapter and $50 120V impact wrench to get the 46mm bolt off the front sprocket.  I tried with the breaker bar, it was not moving!  When I finally got the sprockets off they didn't look as bad as I feared.  I probably could have put another $35 regular chain on and done another 5000 miles before they were really gone.  Oh well, at least not I won't have to worry about it again for a very long time.

I'm hoping we get a little dry weather this week so I can get some miles on it.

Scott

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2824 on: April 08, 2013, 02:09:16 pm
still cleaning the bike up after removing the plasti-dip  paint. now working with a little grease and wax remover to complete the job

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #2825 on: April 10, 2013, 09:18:31 pm
It never ends...  Got an email from the claims adjuster for Fiona yesterday. I had ordered an upswept exhaust from Hitchcock's, as it was taking forever and six months to get the replacement OEM parts for her repairs. John let me know her repairs were finally done and the shop had her all cleaned up and ready to go... Except in the process they discovered a small dent in the front of the fuel tank, about 2" back from the front mounting bolt, that they had missed the first inspection.  He is asking if I want them to send the tank out to a local body shop to have the dent filled and the tank repainted, or as the dent is almost invisible to the eye (they found it by feel, apparently), would I take "an appearance allowance" which would mean I have zero deductable payment...  Having spent good money (which will be refunded, I think) on the exhaust system, I really don't have much of a concern about the deductable.

But jeebers, I sure would like to ride her again before I shuffle off this mortal coil...
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2826 on: April 10, 2013, 09:24:44 pm
If you get the tank worked on make sure you get a gurantee that it won't leak in the next year or so.  They have changed the welding on the tanks last year I think, the earlier ones can leak if the weld fractures from stress or if it get vibrated around if the mounts are loose.  You don't want them beating on the tank only to discover they stressed the weld and it's leaking 3 months later.

Scott

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #2827 on: April 11, 2013, 12:52:46 am
...........the dent is almost invisible to the eye (they found it by feel, apparently), would I take "an appearance allowance"

minor flaws = character.  take the allowance & go buy some fuel & oil ......
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2828 on: April 11, 2013, 01:08:19 am
minor flaws = character.  take the allowance & go buy some fuel & oil ......

+1

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2829 on: April 11, 2013, 01:20:17 am
They gave me a third option, that of taking a buy-out from the insurance company and doing the repairs myself...  The buy-out is just about enough to buy a new chrome-&-maroon EFI tank from Hitchcock's....

I think I'll take that option.  8)
-Dave
2012 C5 Special

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2830 on: April 11, 2013, 02:52:25 am
I would too!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2831 on: April 11, 2013, 06:41:38 pm
Rode in to work.  Not a big deal but the bike just feels so good with the new chain, sprockets, and tires and the weather was sunny and not very cold.  Great commute :)

Scott

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2832 on: April 11, 2013, 07:01:29 pm
Ordered Fiona's new fuel tank from Hitchcock's today, plus got confirmation of the buy-back payment I'll get from the insurance company for the tank, on top of the one I'm getting for the upswept exhaust.  So I'm pretty chuffed about that...

I'm still sitting in Cleveland, unable to ride Fiona, but at least I can see light at the end of this ungodly long tunnel, finally...

EDIT: Followed up with Dave Quinn, trying to locate the Hagons I ordered a month ago... Have yet to be shipped from the UK, as it appears he didn't have heavy enough shocks or springs for me in stock on this side of the pond.  (I'm... uhh... Not like you lightweight buggers...)  Maybe next week... Or next month...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 07:15:41 pm by The_Rigger »
-Dave
2012 C5 Special

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #2833 on: April 11, 2013, 10:11:46 pm
Ordered Fiona's new fuel tank from Hitchcock's today, plus got confirmation of the buy-back payment I'll get from the insurance company for the tank, on top of the one I'm getting for the upswept exhaust.  So I'm pretty chuffed about that...

I'm still sitting in Cleveland, unable to ride Fiona, but at least I can see light at the end of this ungodly long tunnel, finally...

EDIT: Followed up with Dave Quinn, trying to locate the Hagons I ordered a month ago... Have yet to be shipped from the UK, as it appears he didn't have heavy enough shocks or springs for me in stock on this side of the pond.  (I'm... uhh... Not like you lightweight buggers...)  Maybe next week... Or next month...

Are you *SURE* you are ready to get back up on that horse ?
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2834 on: April 11, 2013, 10:18:52 pm
Rode in to work.  Not a big deal but the bike just feels so good with the new chain, sprockets, and tires and the weather was sunny and not very cold.  Great commute :)

Scott

+1

Winter here seems to have thrown in the towel too. At last, was a nasty grumpy old bugger.  :D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt