Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1808118 times)

j byrd

• Scooter
Reply #2595 on: January 18, 2013, 01:24:23 am
  Put it in a small container and shipped it to Kauai. Yep, sold the pretty rascal and all the extra's that I had. I guess I'm not supposed to have too much fun for too many years, oh well............ I've enjoyed all the reading and learning from all you guys, keep the rubber side down, John
j byrd

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #2596 on: January 18, 2013, 02:49:13 am
Where do you go off-road in MN with your B5?  Only OHV registration I get is for my Jeep......now you have me thinking about more mods for the C5...... 8)

check your maps .....  there are more OHM trail miles than OHV.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #2597 on: January 18, 2013, 02:50:05 am
And/or... why off-highway at all?

because it's there ....
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2598 on: January 18, 2013, 10:07:07 am
Took me a minute, but now I get it - trails that are only open to vehicles registered as "off-highway".  It looks fantastic, but here in Maine, I think we only have one - at least that's all I've ever come across.  But, here in Maine, I don't think you can't ride an "off-highway" vehicle on the roads.  Can you in MN?  Does your bike have to meet any special specs to qualify, just like we need particular equipment to ride on the road legally?

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2599 on: January 18, 2013, 04:05:53 pm
You can take street legal vehicles off road but need a special sticker on the plate in MN.  It is highly restricted.  As Gremlin states, lots of trails for ATVs and snowmobiles, slightly fewer for motorcycles and only 2 ORV parks for Jeeps and other 4WD trucks.....having said that, the ORV park in the Iron Range area in northern MN is spectacular.....full spectrum of trails to challenge any Jeeper!

Not to divert from the thread....I picked up a set of vibration reducing footpegs from our hosts....seem to have nicely engineered mounts designed for the RE....and that is what I will do to the RE today!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 04:08:24 pm by GSS »
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2600 on: January 18, 2013, 04:23:35 pm
do they fold up or are they rigid like the stock ones?
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2601 on: January 18, 2013, 04:28:44 pm
Look like they will fold up somewhat....will try to post a photo after I get them done.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2602 on: January 18, 2013, 10:04:19 pm
I looked at my poor crashed bike today, the one the Insurance company wants to total, and I don't see any reason at all to total it. Gives me the idea that the insurance company is trying to rip me off. They said I could total it or get nothing! I guess I'm in for a battle with them!
I'll get a lot more personal as this saga goes on, but I am pissed to say the least!
Basically it needs tank and seat, and a few things in the handlebar area. The EFI is bent and scraped. And some straightening out in the rear set area. I'm not even sure the handlebars are bent. They got pushed down but I haven't been aloe to detect any real bending, but even at that it certainly isn't that expensive for a new set of bars! I just can't imagine where they are coming from!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2603 on: January 18, 2013, 10:22:24 pm
Polite perserverance is your friend here.  In Oregon, if the total of the repair bill is more than 75% of the bike's value, they total it.  They may total it for other reasons, like structural damage that may not be easy to reliably repair.  I tend to think they total bikes easily.  There aren't too many shops that can reliably straighten a frame, especially aluminum, and since it's usually just a a few thousand dollars total to pay it out it's not worth spending their time trying to sort through all the details.

An option that's often available is to total it and buy it back.  They give you the value of the bike, minus your deductible, minus the scrap value that a wrecker would likely pay.  It will then have  a "branded" or "reconstructed" title if you rebuild it rather than just part it out which can lower the resale value. 

When my Ducati went down I got $5000 and bought it back for $1275.  I really only needed maybe $500 in parts, the rest was scratches, but expensive ones ;)  I didn't want it but sold it to my dealership for the $1275 and they patched it up and sold it to an employee cheap.  She lives on.

Don't get hung up on priciples here, it's just a monetary transaction for them, they have no emotion at stake just because you do.  Keep talking to them, be polite.  You may want to ask a shop that does insurance for tips on how to negotiate.  They'll usually come around some.  I was able to get the value of my Ducati up from $4000 to $5000 by finding some comparables and getting a letter from the dealer stating what they'd sell it for.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2604 on: January 19, 2013, 01:02:34 am
So that means they will give me 75% of what it's worth, then turn around and sell it. Sounds like a hell of a racket to me!! Appears to my like they just stole it! I wouldn't mind it if it was really totaled, but this one isn't. I've had to do enough estimates on bikes to know what they are worth. I think I've only totalled one bike in  my life and I was happy to get what they were willing to pay. However after my relatively quick perusal of this one, it's a along way from totalled and, so I'm waiting to see what the offer is going to be, but it's going to have to be a lot more than 75%, then they are going to have to detail where they came up with the number.
Baer
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2605 on: January 19, 2013, 01:16:55 am
Good luck to you.
When my BMW K-75 went down, Dairyland Insurance wanted to total it even though the only damage is what one would expect to see after one was laid down on its side and skidded 30 yards.  Scratches, broken plastic front mud guard, broken clutch lever etc.

I checked out the then current Blue Book and it listed the bike in crappy condition as being worth $3000.
The insurance company offered me $1200.  I asked them where they arrived at that amount and they said that's what the local BMW dealer said it was worth.

I figured the dealer was quoting them the wholesale value, not the retail value.

Anyway, I was given the option of getting damn near nothing and keeping it but local pressures from my wife prompted me to accept the pittance the insurance co offered.
(That also began my 9 year period of being bikeless before buying my RE).

I should add, I paid Dairyland for insurance for over 31 years without a claim against them.  I would ride without insurance rather than deal with them again. :(
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 04:12:58 am by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #2606 on: January 19, 2013, 02:23:40 am
"Basically it needs tank and seat, and a few things in the handlebar area. The EFI is bent and scraped. And some straightening out in the rear set area."

Tank, seat, frame, controls and fuel injection; sounds totaled.

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #2607 on: January 19, 2013, 02:26:50 am
Picked up my rear seat this morning.  I plan to install in this weekend and then go riding Sunday, weather permitting.  For now I'll put it in the garage near the tool box and see if it self-installs like some others.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2608 on: January 19, 2013, 05:18:25 pm
Tank, seat, frame, controls and fuel injection; sounds totaled.

That's actually tank, seat, throttle cables, and EFI muffler, not the injector. Nothing wrong with the frame. The total on the above parts is actually about $800. The bike runs fine. I started it while I was at the Salvage place.
However, I got an offer from them yesterday that is well above my expectations. Now, it comes down to whether or not I can wait until the Cafe Racer is released and be without a bike until then!
If I keep this one, then I have to buy it back and go through a salvage title to keep it going. I'm not sure I want to do that. They haven't offered me the buy back cost yet, but it would probably be a good down payment on the CR.
Bare
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 06:01:02 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #2609 on: January 19, 2013, 06:17:40 pm
That's actually tank, seat, throttle cables, and EFI muffler, not the injector. Nothing wrong with the frame. The total on the above parts is actually about $800.

Good luck getting parts from Enfield USA, if you decide to keep her.  I'm still waiting for a fork lower, six months after Fiona's mishap.  Had I known it would take this long to repair her, I'd've had Progressive total her and start over with a new C5 Special.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)