Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1811463 times)

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2535 on: December 18, 2012, 02:36:50 am
It's the foot peg that sits loose on the mounting post.
I can't make out whether the cause lies inside the footpeg or the outside of the post, either one or both can be eroded. The peg will move up and down. It's that motion that caused the damage to the thread.
I did repair that damage, as you wrote, retapping and fitting a slightly smaller bolt.
But only after I had done the wedging to prevent the peg from moving, otherwise the thread repair would be pointless.
I will now monitor and hope that the wedges hold out; if need be hammering in more. Unless I hear of a better solution, that is.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2536 on: December 18, 2012, 02:54:51 am
Sounds like it got loose and wore.  I would bet the peg wore, it's softer.  Order a new one and I bet it fits just fine.  The old one will get loose again.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2537 on: December 18, 2012, 05:15:28 pm
The mounting post is kinda spot welded at the inside end of the frame tube, the back end of the threaded part. It could break loose at that point fairly easily. I wanted to get ride of my peg mount on the right side and a couple of cranks with a wrench broke it loose pretty easily. Check that weld.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2538 on: December 19, 2012, 04:00:01 am
The mounting post is kinda spot welded at the inside end of the frame tube, the back end of the threaded part. It could break loose at that point fairly easily. I wanted to get ride of my peg mount on the right side and a couple of cranks with a wrench broke it loose pretty easily. Check that weld.
Bare
Correct. Mine (RH) looks and feels ok. It still has my trust.
As per removing: what do you intend to replace it with? Highway pegs or alternative type of mounting (see below)?

Ducati Scotty: I suspect you're right. That peg is suicidal.

The factory's parts' list of january 2k9 shows a total different type of peg arms and mountings; so far not seen them on any model.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2539 on: December 19, 2012, 06:27:02 pm
I replaced mine with rearsets.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

REdmonton

• Bulleteer
Reply #2540 on: December 22, 2012, 02:21:10 am
I went into the garage, took the cover off of my bike and admired it. Outside it was about -20 Celsius, with a windchill to boot. The last few days the streetlights have been coming on at 4 o'clock. It is days like this where I get jealous of you guys in the south (I don't understand the concept of it being too hot to ride). I'm looking forward to snow melting, I'll probably be riding again in late April.
I thought I would attach a picture of my place in the great white north.
Merry Christmas.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 02:34:55 am by REdmonton »

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2541 on: December 22, 2012, 03:16:13 am
No Thanks, u can have it...We had a 10 minute snow squall if u want to call it that today..Just blew around and left...I got to think we going to get something after New Years ..Shortest day of the year and headed back the other direction...I c u  made it through just fine from yesterdays big non event....Stay warm up there.. GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2542 on: December 22, 2012, 06:13:54 pm
I cleaned and adjusted my chain while I wait for my sprag clutch. I hope it gets here soon. I need the bike for New Year's Eve ride!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2543 on: December 23, 2012, 03:34:22 pm
replaced the goo in the forks with some new 10w fork oil
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2544 on: December 24, 2012, 01:28:32 am
I cleaned and adjusted my chain while I wait for my sprag clutch. I hope it gets here soon. I need the bike for New Year's Eve ride!
Bare
Too bad...
Mine fell out at 12,000km. How long did yours hold out?
Crossing our fingers, may you have a great New Year's Eve ride!

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2545 on: December 24, 2012, 03:16:27 am
Bare

Bare,
Do you have anything to say about the sprag clutch replacement? or did I miss it?
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

fritz1914

• Scooter
Reply #2546 on: December 24, 2012, 04:11:47 am
finished replacing swingarm bearings,wasnt as hard as i thought it might be,took the old gal [bike] out for a nice test ride....by the way sprag clutch bearing for uce is  stieber bearing dc-4127[3c] about 80 dallors. happy trails!

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2547 on: December 25, 2012, 12:58:14 am
Oh no, not the Wilhelm Johann Carl Eduard Stieber :o

Just kidding, must be the season.

Kudos to you for finding the tree through the woods!
Found the item on their website. It comes without inner or outer races.
How does it compares to the new one's from RE (which are of different origin and reportedly reliable), also pricewise (they come complete)?

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #2548 on: December 25, 2012, 01:14:39 am
I'm looking at these ugly B5 boxes & wondering if a Union Jack would look good painted on them.......

I can say with authority that the square-ish C5 battery box is vastly improved by pasting a Union Jack sticker on it...
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

fritz1914

• Scooter
Reply #2549 on: December 25, 2012, 03:17:45 pm
royalista,my sprag went out at 13,000 miles or so also.i  determined that the other gears were fine so for me it was a simple matter of cost.bike now has just over 17000 miles. really the only problem ive had was the sprag issue and a flat tire. ive replaced the drive chain and front and rear sprockets,and swingarm bushings,but that was due to "operator failure". no fault of the bike,i just haven't rode in 30 yrs or so,and wouldn't have had the other problems if i had the proper chain tension,leasson learned![i was excited to do a 1000 mile road trip] witch came off ok except the tire issue.i really love this bike and the only thing i would change [beside no kickstarter] is that im thinking of repainting it to the old re color of blue with black frame,that would be sharp!