Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1811839 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2400 on: November 05, 2012, 11:33:07 pm
The most oil mine has needed after leaning the bike way over to the right when draining it was 1.8 quarts.
That brought the oil lever almost to the upper line on the sight guage.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2401 on: November 05, 2012, 11:35:38 pm
I got almost 2 1/2 qts into mine last time, but I had the right side cover off for the 10k service.  On a usual oil change with lots of rocking I get 2 qts, maybe a shade more.  I find that if you keep rocking back and forth you get more and more for quite some time.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2402 on: November 06, 2012, 12:23:37 am
Bare - I know this has been beaten to death in other threads, but if you don't mind...  with all the rockin' & rollin', how much new oil did you add?  More than 2 quarts?

I put in just over 2 qts, but I also didn't pay attention and I overfilled it a bit.
I'll ride it tomorrow and see if that's too much! I've actually done it before and it was never a problem.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2403 on: November 06, 2012, 02:23:45 am
That figures - just over 2 quarts, at $12 a quart!  Thanks for the info, guys!

I ordered two things from NFG, including the 5x oil change kit.  I got 2 emails in response - the first was a notice saying my order had shipped.  The second was a notice saying that 4 filters have been back-ordered.  Sorry folks, but I guess I got the last one!

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #2404 on: November 06, 2012, 03:43:15 am
 NFG means something else to some of us.
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2405 on: November 06, 2012, 11:57:32 am

Jack - I should have known that you'd pick up on that!

A number of years ago, I was working in a shipyard in Japan, with American guys who would label "problem items" as NFG, for the Japanese workers to fix.  But the natives often got the wording mixed up, and said "n- g--- f------" instead, which was for some reason insanely funny to us.  We had "NGF" stickers, used to indicate whether a space was certified as free of dangerous or flammable gas - "not gas free" meant no hot work or welding was allowed without proper air testing.  A lot of those Japanese guys stuck the NGF stickers on their hard-hats, providing irrefutable evidence that one should never let language difficulties get in the way of a good joke...

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #2406 on: November 06, 2012, 01:15:22 pm
....... label "problem items" as NFG ............

When I was in the Air Force we used NRTS (not repairable this station ) and FUBAR.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2407 on: November 06, 2012, 03:37:14 pm
and it all falls under SNAFU
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2408 on: November 06, 2012, 03:49:37 pm
Jack doesn't miss anything and you better be spot on the subject matter...snafu...Haaaaaaaaa exactly, good expression for election day...just being sarcastic for the moment but Green Machine is sitting on her perch  and I need to find the time to start checking her out...I just replaced the battery in her and now the battery in the zero turn mower has died and I just can't seem to keep her charged for the last cut of the season...Naturally when u start seeing yellowish oozing coming out of the terminals is a sure sign that its on its way out.. (snafu) well I did keep it maintained for 4 years....I like to replace all the rubber holding the carburetor, put on the new chain, adjust the valves, etc...GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2409 on: November 06, 2012, 08:42:52 pm

I thought it meant the same thing!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #2410 on: November 06, 2012, 09:09:14 pm
Harsh.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2411 on: November 06, 2012, 11:39:19 pm
I took the Bullet out for its "after oil change" ride. The oil level, after I thought was overfilled settled down right on the full mark. No leaks, everything is kosher.
I probably got about 2.1 or so qts in it. I emptied a bottle that had maybe 2" in the bottom of it, then a full qt and left a third bottle with about 1/4" left in it when I noticed the bubble had disappeared in the sight glass.
Lotsa Rockin' & Rollin'.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2412 on: November 07, 2012, 12:28:05 am
I got a good chuckle out of the NFG but I should add I got the new Dunlop K70 I ordered last week today. :)

Now, the challenge is to get the front wheel off without tipping my bike over. :(

Having replaced a tire once in my 46 years of motorcycle riding I checked out the local Otherbrand dealers.  Mr. Honda wanted $30 if I brought in my wheel/tire/tube.  :(
Mr Yamaha/Suzuki wants $17.  Guess who gets the job?  :D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

wokka

• Bulleteer
Reply #2413 on: November 07, 2012, 12:39:08 am
With massive thanks to dampking, I picked up a whole heap of goodies for next to nothing.

Oh and Sanket, I found a place with brass bits and bobs as well as a whole heap of older spares in Russel market. I'll send you his number when I remember where I put his card.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2414 on: November 07, 2012, 01:58:10 am
I took the Bullet out for its "after oil change" ride. The oil level, after I thought was overfilled settled down right on the full mark. No leaks, everything is kosher.
I probably got about 2.1 or so qts in it. I emptied a bottle that had maybe 2" in the bottom of it, then a full qt and left a third bottle with about 1/4" left in it when I noticed the bubble had disappeared in the sight glass.
Lotsa Rockin' & Rollin'.
Bare

Bare - that's interesting, 'cause I just changed my oil today, too.  I tried to tip the bike side to side to shake out as much of the old dino oil as I could.  I replaced it with about 1.7 quarts of synthetic, up to the middle of the glass.  After riding it, it's settled out to higher than the glass - not too much higher, as it doesn't take much tipping to the left to see the oil level top.  So my bike makes extra oil, rather than using it up...