Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1811085 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2355 on: October 24, 2012, 07:19:51 pm
I bet that was exciting!
Actually, it wasn't exciting at all. I didn't realize it had fallen off until we got to Newcomb's, which was about three miles farther down the road.
A couple of people were following us and pulled in, and the guy came over and looked at my bike a bit strangely, and sez, Oh, you did lose your headlight. I looked and sho' nuff, it was gone!.
Jack and I went back to find the pieces, stuck them back together, and continued our ride.
Today I'm finishing up the final bits to have the flyscreen installed,along with my long dormant sealed beam Sylvania.
I had to do the 90 miler yesterday to Century Cycles in San Pedro to pick up some other bits and pieces, headlight rim, W clips, and rim clip.
I've still gotta enlarge the two holes in the bottom of the rim and maybe grind away part of the casquette that may be interfering with the rim clips causing me many hassles over the last year with headlights dropping out!
Bare 
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2356 on: October 24, 2012, 07:27:40 pm
What they said (sorry, can't remember who it was) was to push it past TDC, then kick it. I always figured you'd want to be before TDC so it would be ready to fire, but it's harder to kick that way and if it doesn't work,

The reasons you push it over TDC are, by the time the cylinder gets to TDC on the compression stroke you are already at the bottom of the kicking stroke so your aren't going to get a kickback. You are going to get a bit of atomization of the mixture in the combustion for better ignition. and It's a hell of a lot easier to kick without have to push it through the already compressed air compressed air, and the piston will reach a higher speed on the next compression stroke. By then it's ready to run.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2357 on: October 24, 2012, 07:55:33 pm
+1.  The idea of starting right after TDC and getting some momentum makes total sense to Megon a big single.

Scott

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #2358 on: October 24, 2012, 07:56:27 pm
I concur.
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #2359 on: October 24, 2012, 08:05:46 pm
 Riding my Enfield to spend a few days with my 89 year old Dad. Only 40 miles away but a nice ride anyway. New seat, new tires and new battery. DAMN, LIFE IS GOOD !
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #2360 on: October 24, 2012, 09:07:35 pm
Dry Slide and Tri Flow are not carried local to me and neither is the old Lock Eeze.

Really?  I find Tri-Flow at bicycle shops pretty often; it sees use as a low-impact chain & cable lube.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #2361 on: October 24, 2012, 09:10:38 pm
There was a chain lube comparison in Motorcycle Consumer guide in the early '90s

Sept. 2001 issue.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2362 on: October 24, 2012, 10:37:20 pm
Try bicycle shops for Dri Slide. It seems to be more directed at them nowadays.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2363 on: October 24, 2012, 11:43:05 pm
When you shut off a RE, the piston comes to rest at the bottom of the compression stroke.
If you try to kick start the bike with the piston in that position, the cylinder full of empty air won't pull in a new air/fuel charge and you have to fight the compression of the non combusting air all the way to TDC.

If you gently nudge the piston to TDC with the kick starter and, after resetting it for a full stroke you give it a kick, the energy goes into the flywheels momentum.
That, along with the rest of your kick stroke will get the piston thru the intake stroke where new air/fuel is drawn in and the momentum will help your kick energy compress the mix to TDC where it (hopefully) fires. :)

More 7500 mile stuff:  I lubed my clutch cable. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2364 on: October 25, 2012, 02:25:01 am
When you shut off a RE, the piston comes to rest at the bottom of the compression stroke.
If you try to kick start the bike with the piston in that position, the cylinder full of empty air won't pull in a new air/fuel charge and you have to fight the compression of the non combusting air all the way to TDC.

If you gently nudge the piston to TDC with the kick starter and, after resetting it for a full stroke you give it a kick, the energy goes into the flywheels momentum.
That, along with the rest of your kick stroke will get the piston thru the intake stroke where new air/fuel is drawn in and the momentum will help your kick energy compress the mix to TDC where it (hopefully) fires. :)

So there's two TDC's per complete cycle, yes?  If it always stops at the beginning of the compression cycle, do I slowly push it past the next TDC, which would be just after ignition, then kick it through the power stroke, exhaust stroke, and intake stroke, and compression stroke, where it (hopefully) fires, or do I slowly push it around 1/2 a cycle to just past TDC of the exhaust stroke and kick it through the intake stroke and compression stroke, where it (hopefully) fires?

In the first scenario, it seems like I waste the energy put into moving the piston through the power and exhaust strokes, but maybe it's not wasted if it gives some momentum to the flywheel?

duhhh...  :P

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2365 on: October 25, 2012, 04:44:52 am
Just get to the top of the compression stroke.
During the power stroke, exhaust stroke and intake stroke the flywheel is absorbing energy from your kick.
These flywheels and the crankshaft weigh almost 20 pounds and it takes a bit of energy to get them moving. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #2366 on: October 25, 2012, 11:20:25 am
Ran out of gas on my way home from work.  Since I was only a block from the house I'm calling it a positive experience.  I need to check the connection on the fuel warning light; it didn't flash at all this time.  I also started practicing kick starting when not on the center stand.  So far I'm 50/50 on successful attempts.

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2367 on: October 25, 2012, 03:43:31 pm
rode to work....the weather guy said it would be clear.....he lied!!
now it is really dirty.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #2368 on: October 25, 2012, 03:44:16 pm
I lubed my clutch cable. :)

don't do that at a ski resort .......   8)            (tow rope = cable you clutch)
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #2369 on: October 25, 2012, 05:01:26 pm
Having finally gotten my 2010 G5 deluxe set up to my liking, I took a very satisfactory ride here in the lovely N. Ga. mountains today. Using lower "superbike bars" different rear shocks, synthetic ATF in fork legs, Dunlop Gold Seal Tires front & rear. Now cornering with excellent road feel & stability-even changed a corner line once when I needed to. A huge difference & vast improvement over the uncomfortable mushy-squirmy feel when I got the bike.   Cheers, Craig McClure, Jasper Ga. USA
Best Wishes, Craig McClure