Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1849010 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2160 on: September 19, 2012, 10:10:20 pm
+1.  Even the least expensive helmets give amazing protection, and sometimes better as already noted.  The key features of more expensive helmets that can make them worth more are better fit, comfort, and quiet.  Fit and comfort are mostly a subjective matter of how well you head fits that manfacturer's mold.  If a cheap models fits you well great, but higher end brands often offer several differently shaped models.  Quiet plays a huge role in reducing fatigue (and thereby increasing awareness) on longer rides.

Scott

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2161 on: September 19, 2012, 10:13:18 pm

Finished mounting up the saddle and pillion I ordered. They went on fairly easily. I made a custom bracket for the front pivot (the one it came with is tall and ugly). The rear went on fairly easily as well. total holes drilled = 2.

How would you rate initial comfort for the rider's seat?

Roch48

• Scooter
Reply #2162 on: September 19, 2012, 10:33:24 pm
How would you rate initial comfort for the rider's seat?

Much better than my slimline solo seat, it hugs my bottom and is pretty soft. The springs that came with it were way to long so I used the original springs that came with the bike. I can't comment on the pillion, have to wait for the girlfriend to test it out.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2163 on: September 20, 2012, 12:07:06 am
With the weather getting nice I took a 40 mile ride under the pretext of getting my wife a birthday present.
I don't know about your neck of the woods but I find that riding between the hours of 9 and 11 AM  90 percent of the traffic is off the roads.  They're either at work or they haven't finished reading the morning paper.

As for helmets, I bought a HJC "CL 16" full face helmet just before I picked up my RE a year and a half ago.  It's DOT and SNELL rated polycarbonate.  With the visor shut or at its first click open it has no wind noise at any speed.  The vents work and most importantly the faceshield shows no signs of scratching after a year and a half of using it.
I was surprised at the low cost for this much quality.  I paid about $120 for it.
The only mod it needed was to remove the big ugly HJC sticker on the front and this was a peel off so no problems were noticed.
Being the dork that I am, I had to add my ROYAL ENFIELD decal on the back so folks would know what just passed them.  ;D

http://www.amazon.com/HJC-Helmets-CL-16-Helmet-Black/dp/B002RPFZ42
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2164 on: September 20, 2012, 12:48:20 am
Much better than my slimline solo seat, it hugs my bottom and is pretty soft. The springs that came with it were way to long so I used the original springs that came with the bike. I can't comment on the pillion, have to wait for the girlfriend to test it out.

It does look to have a profile/contour just like the custom foam I put over my stock seat, but much thinner top to bottom.  Keep us informed after you've had a few rides.  Thanks!

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2165 on: September 20, 2012, 11:30:16 am
As for helmets, I bought a HJC "CL 16" full face helmet just before I picked up my RE a year and a half ago.  It's DOT and SNELL rated polycarbonate.  With the visor shut or at its first click open it has no wind noise at any speed.  The vents work and most importantly the faceshield shows no signs of scratching after a year and a half of using it.
I was surprised at the low cost for this much quality.  I paid about $120 for it.

What's up with that?!?  No wind noise?  At any speed?  :o

I bought a full-face Shoie Qwest in the spring, paid about $350.  The vents work ok, I guess, but fogging is a real problem, so maybe they don't work so well!  It's very comfortable, so I don't mind wearing it - that's a good thing.  But the wind noise is just awful.  When the shield is fully closed, there's a kind of a dull roar anywhere above 30mph, which can be relieved by just cracking open the shield using a little lever on the side - turns the dull roar into a quieter whistle which so far I can stand better.  The vent positions don't affect the noise at all.  When I open the shield even one "click", the wind comes right into my eyes.  It comes right into my eyes regardless of how many clicks I open the shield.  Did I mention how the wind comes right into my eyes?

It's my first helmet, and there was no way I was buying one on line without trying it on.  Now I kind of feel committed...

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #2166 on: September 20, 2012, 12:10:20 pm
What's up with that?!?  No wind noise?  At any speed?  :o

I bought a full-face Shoie Qwest in the spring, paid about $350.  The vents work ok, I guess, but fogging is a real problem, so maybe they don't work so well!  It's very comfortable, so I don't mind wearing it - that's a good thing.  But the wind noise is just awful.  When the shield is fully closed, there's a kind of a dull roar anywhere above 30mph, which can be relieved by just cracking open the shield using a little lever on the side - turns the dull roar into a quieter whistle which so far I can stand better.  The vent positions don't affect the noise at all.  When I open the shield even one "click", the wind comes right into my eyes.  It comes right into my eyes regardless of how many clicks I open the shield.  Did I mention how the wind comes right into my eyes?

It's my first helmet, and there was no way I was buying one on line without trying it on.  Now I kind of feel committed...

Spend less than 20.00 and get a "Fog City" insert. Fog problem over. The anti fog solutions wrk, but have to be reapplied every few days. Pin lock inserts are great but expensive. The Fog City and Pin lock both are easily scratched, but with care are worth it.
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #2167 on: September 20, 2012, 12:27:03 pm
+1.  Even the least expensive helmets give amazing protection, and sometimes better as already noted.  The key features of more expensive helmets that can make them worth more are better fit, comfort, and quiet.  Fit and comfort are mostly a subjective matter of how well you head fits that manfacturer's mold.  If a cheap models fits you well great, but higher end brands often offer several differently shaped models.  Quiet plays a huge role in reducing fatigue (and thereby increasing awareness) on longer rides.

In helmets, like any safety gear, you get what you pay for. The upper-end helmets such as Arai, Shoei, Schuberth use much higher quality fiberglass that dissapates energy better and is much lighter. Better glass means they can also use less of it to meet and exceed the Snell or ECE standards instead of using layer after layer to meet the standard. Arai is one of the lightest made yet is 200% compliant to Snell. They do use extra layers in impact areas. Even the styrofoam liner is made to dissipate and deflect impact and energy. Fit, comfort and long life are normally byproducts of buying an upper end helmet, not the key features.
There are some very good mid price helmets out there such as HJC but if the budget allows......

Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2168 on: September 20, 2012, 03:16:12 pm
It'd not that there's no wind noise, there's just less with some.  A Foggy Respro keeps everything fog free.  I like mine do much I leave it in all year now.

And yes, pricy helmets are also usually lighter.  Helps with comfort and lowering fatigue.

Scott
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 03:18:39 pm by Ducati Scotty »

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
  • Your only as old as you feel
Reply #2169 on: September 20, 2012, 05:26:55 pm
Well, I got a look at the bike yesterday. At first it looked better than I thought it would, but on closer inspection, it's probably going to be totaled.

The headlight & bezel are destroyed, as is the gas tank. The right hand side of the bars are bent down & back, damaging the brake lever & master cylinder.

The full Hitchcock's exhaust needs to be replaced, it pushed the pipe in to the frame hard enough for one of the engine mount bolts to go thru the pipe, and the mufflers bent up.

It looks like it drug down the right hand side scarring up the case cover. However it landed scarred up the top of the nachelle as well.

On the left side it flipped the rearset shifter completely backwards, without detaching itself from the gearbox. This worries me that a shaft or something else has broken internally. Definetly not a good sign. It also bent my 1/4" steel plate mount in a nice U shape.

I think the nail in the coffin though will be the frame. On the right side, where it appears the bike took the biggest hit, the rear of the frame is now in contact with the swing arm. It looks like it bent everything in a good 1/2" from the swing arm bolt back.

I'm waiting for a call from my agent, but I'm expecting the worst. I can't imagine it's worth trying to fix.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 05:28:56 pm by Hobbydad »
'11 C5 Military

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2170 on: September 20, 2012, 05:43:32 pm
Dude, that's done.  Sorry, but better to know now than half way through the rebuild.

Gather up your receipts for all the aftermarket goodies.  Many insurances will cover those as part of the price.

And some final advice: if they say it's borderline and you can total it or not, total it.  If it's borderline there will always be something you find half way through the rebuild that puts it over the edge.

Take the check, take a deep breath, and start over.  They should give you a decent settlement so it won't cost you much out of pocket to go again.

Scott
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 12:17:05 am by Ducati Scotty »

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2171 on: September 21, 2012, 12:42:28 am
what DS said.
i crashed a bike and it was a coin flip if it was totaled. well i got them to fix it and it was never right.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #2172 on: September 21, 2012, 02:21:41 am
Glenn, I respect the right of each rider to make their own choices on what level of risk they choose to take on when they ride BUT even at 25-30mph face vs. asphalt only ends one way.  If you want to wear an open face helmet that's totally your choice, but please be aware of the risk you are taking.

Scott

I guess I must be crazy on the days I commute by bicycle.  It's not too hard to hit 30 to even 40 mph on the downhill parts (which Seattle has plenty of).  I wear a bicycle helmet of course, but I'd say it's far less protection than my typical in-city motorcycle gear of open face helmet, leather jacket, boots, and gloves.  We all accept a certain level of risk riding a motorcycle.  Someone could just as easily say to you "I respect your right to ride a motorcycle, BUT even at 20-30mph, car vs. motorcycle only ends one way."  Just saying....  :P

Eamon
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 02:27:42 am by Eamon »
Eamon

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #2173 on: September 21, 2012, 02:57:05 am
.........even at 20-30mph, car vs. motorcycle only ends one way."  Just saying....  :P

+2

been there, done that, Twice.   both times with helmet & leather.  I'm still ridin' !
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #2174 on: September 21, 2012, 09:05:52 am
I guess I must be crazy on the days I commute by bicycle.  It's not too hard to hit 30 to even 40 mph on the downhill parts (which Seattle has plenty of).  I wear a bicycle helmet of course, but I'd say it's far less protection than my typical in-city motorcycle gear of open face helmet, leather jacket, boots, and gloves.  We all accept a certain level of risk riding a motorcycle.  Someone could just as easily say to you "I respect your right to ride a motorcycle, BUT even at 20-30mph, car vs. motorcycle only ends one way."  Just saying....  :P

Eamon

I failed to find any evidence that a cycle helmet protects you for anything than a stationary topple over. Interesting eh?
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.