Author Topic: Hitchcock's vm32 carb conversion  (Read 1879 times)

rattonshaw

• Scooter
  • Classic Long Distance Trials
Reply #15 on: October 26, 2023, 08:18:08 am
My 2016 Electra EFI (still with fuel injection) is the best starting bike I've owned.  From hot, cold, or been stood for weeks, it’ll start apparently instantaneously.  The only non-standard item is a Harley Davidson silencer, which was to reduce weight.  My other bikes are a mix of carburetter and fuel injection and they don’t start as quickly.  As for the kick start, that’s been removed.  Why knacker your joints when there’s an electric start.

On the air bubble theory, I can’t see how that can arise.  The injector body and fuel line have fuel at about 45 psi.  If the injector was not fully closed when de-energised, the mixture would be too rich.  Also, when the engine is shut down, that pressure might be relieved back through the fuel pump into the tank, but there’s still a head of fuel in the tank that will maintain the fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure.  So again, no air can enter the injector body or fuel line.

Beeza

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: October 26, 2023, 07:22:05 pm
Is there a check valve at the pump to prevent fuel coming out when you disconnect the line? If so, leakage at the injector could be being replaced by air.

If it it takes overnight to leak two putts worth of fuel, the mixture when running would hardly be affected, even at 45 psi.

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #17 on: October 27, 2023, 11:34:37 pm
Starting the efi sounds easy, but the reality is that - and this is just my analysis - when you shut the motor down overnight the fuel in the injector leaks out and air takes its place and the bubble travels up the line.

Have you got some actual evidence for this, or is it just spun from your imagination?
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

Beeza

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: October 28, 2023, 04:04:21 am
Have you got some actual evidence for this, or is it just spun from your imagination?

It does it remarkably consistently. If you have a better explanation, go for it. I’m just trying to be helpful to others who have reported similar symptoms.

I’m okay with it as long as I don’t have to kickstart it.

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: March 05, 2024, 03:26:38 am
Yes, 185 main with 180 and 190 supplied.
25 pilot, plus 20 and 30 supplied.

I've gone down to a 17.5 pilot, and main I'm up to 190.

I finally got around to trying this setup. Bike is running great. Mpg is in the 50s but I tend to run it a little hard.

Thanks again
2011 uce classic 500,  carb converted and trails bars.