Members Rides

Mods again.

Members Rides

NField Gear

25 Guests, 5 Users
skyfli, Ice, gizzo, tenacres650, AgentX
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 10, 2015, 03:03:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: fools on the road  (Read 508 times)

The Old Coot

• Grease Monkey
Re: fools on the road
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 03:58:42 pm »
The best Instant Karma happened when I was a firefighter, I was driving to a call, busting traffic as we called it, and there was a kotthead right on my butt for about 1/2 a mile, he was sneaking through the lights and all. What he failed to notice was the police car on HIS butt! Found out later the driver was DUI and had suspended license BUT he did get a free ride...to jail! 
2009 Kawasaki KLR, The Fat Little Pig
2012 Kawasaki Versys, Mini Me
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black, yet to be named

• Bulleteer
  • "All that is rare is for the rare" Nietzsche
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 05:44:05 pm »
You'd be surprised how much better everyone behaves when you have a camera on your helmet. I have a Sony Action cam that mounts to the side of my helmet. I had it on the top but not only did it look goofy (at least to me), it acted like a head rudder when I turned my head.

Now the wife will know who to sue if I ever get taken out by an errant or irate motorist.

Actually around here it seems the young people are a little more cautious and well mannered. The worst is late Friday afternoon when everybody is rushing about for home and fun. Then they are distracted and in a hurry.

“Those who have a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'.”
― Viktor E. Frankl

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2015, 05:48:21 pm »
 A 400 pound motorbike is no match for a 3,000 pound human guided battering ram.

Best to  D & D  or E & E ( Distance and Detour, Escape and Evade ) or both.
I can break it better,,,,at night, in the rain, on the trail,, 20 miles from nowhere.

REA #136

"TIMEX", the '06 Iron Barrel Military that takes me everywhere I want to go... and some places I shouldn't.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2015, 11:32:06 pm »
There was a Goldwing rider I used to see regularly around Decatur Georgia, wearing what appeared to be a really big handgun in a shoulder holster - open carry. Bet nobody messed with him. Must have had connections to get away with that, maybe he was the Governor.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2015, 06:56:17 pm »
I open carry quite often (totally legal in AZ) I have never encountered a situation where I felt a gun was necessary, but it can be nice to have, just in case.

I have had a few combat veterans tell me that riding a motorcycle in traffic is very similar dangerwise as being in combat. Many say to ride as though you are invisible, which you pretty much are to todays otherwise occupied car drivers. I take it one step farther and ride like everybody out there in a car/truck is out to get me. I believe this attitude has saved me many times. It's a shame it has to be this way, but if you expect to survive, it's pretty much a necessity. Another reason I like to ride on country roads with not much traffic. City riding can be nerve wracking. Not really much difference in dodging errant cars and bullets.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best of intentions'

• Bulleteer
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2015, 07:50:56 pm »
I was so glad to return home after surviving yesterday’s ride. Either I took an invisibility pill or I switched on the cloaking device as I left home. I was only half a mile from the house motoring along about 20 mph on a terrible old gravel road when a big yellow school bus nearly wiped me out. The bus was entering from a side road to my right. As always I rolled off the throttle and focused on the front wheels to see if it was coming to a stop. The wheels slowed. The bus driver looked straight at me. I felt it was safe to proceed. When I was maybe 25 feet away she suddenly swung wide and pulled out. If you’ve ever rode on an old gravel road you know sudden braking or changing directions will probably put you down. It looked like her front bumper was going to contact me and just roll over me. Just when I was gritting my teeth for the impact she slammed on the brakes and I passed by her just brushing against the bumper with my right leg. Slow motion near disaster with a big yellow school bus!
In The Garage - Enfield C5, Kawasaki W650, Honda ACE, Honda FT500, BMW R75/5