Author Topic: New here.. Buying used vs new..?  (Read 6568 times)

chonpuun

• Scooter
Reply #30 on: June 20, 2010, 09:28:10 pm
i have a 07 bonniville  and a 05 re classic 500  ,the triumph is a hundred percent  realiable  and more than enough power.the  bullet is a member of the family, it has had a few problems but it has made me get involved with it .to me on acold morning  no one around motor thumping as  only a  500 can do, it is one of lifes experiances  ,i feel so happy i shout and sing ,that has not happened when riding the bonny.     chonpuun australia

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: June 21, 2010, 01:49:59 am
Ok, so I went to the dealer, test rode a c5 and I do indeed like it. I had a little smile as I put-putted along. Last year I was very interested in the Bonneville, so I opted for a test ride on a 2010 FI Bonny t100 whilst my salesman was busy. Perhaps this was a mistake because driving the two bikes back to back, I realized how much more refined and powerful the Bonny is than the RE - it also corners beautifully; confidence inspiring. It made me feel like if I were to buy the RE I'd be buying a low quality machine.

I think the other thing that bothered me a bit was the vibration. After 10 miles, my hands were pretty shook up on the RE. This bike has 30 miles on the clock btw.

So my internal fight now is: Do I want a quality machine or a machine with character. I internally value each of these things equally, so now I find myself at a standstill as to which bike to get. Thinking out loud, here is a summary the matter..

RE:
-classic styling
-transforms me into James Dean
-conversation piece
-forces you to slow down, look around
-thumper reminds me of my first bike
-$2500 less.

Bonny:
-much better quality and engineering
-a bit common looking, but after a pipe and air box removal, sounds and looks better (I'd do a blacked out look) - lovely little backfires and burbles with the Arrow exhaust
-much nicer for two-up
-presumably higher resale
-In stock, wont have to wait to order one

Its frustrating, bit I guess this is a good dilemma to have! Maybe some of you that have owned both can chime in..

The vibration gets significantly better with time.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: June 21, 2010, 02:01:04 am
I think you should join up at Triumph Rat and give the Bonnie equal time.
Run what ya brung

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #33 on: June 21, 2010, 02:18:39 am
I sold a darn nice '05 Bonnie to buy my C5, I do NOT regret it. ;D And I've had no quality issues with my Enfield but the Bonnie's wheels rusted pretty quick.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 02:30:52 am by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Beankyu

• Neophyte
Reply #34 on: June 21, 2010, 02:34:42 am
Why don't we consider it.
I think it's good idea.

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #35 on: June 21, 2010, 05:09:13 am
Beankyu, whats a good idea?!

UncleErnie-  I've been a member there for a year or so. I researched the Bonny and thruxton heavily last year.

...i feel so happy i shout and sing ,that has not happened when riding the bonny.
This is what I'm going for.. I remember singing dum dee dum to myself on the test ride. :)

There is no question the Bonney is a better bike, and I think if I were to only have one bike, the Bonney is the obvious choice - it blends some of the old, but is throughly modern in execution... but it lacks one thing IMO, character.  I think my heart really is tugging me towards the Bullet for this reason. It goes against most of what I've trained myself to look for in new vehicles (technology, modern looks, speed), so this all feels very strange. I guess the worst case is that I bore of it quickly and take a bit of a monetary loss. :)

I'm still waiting to hear back from the dealer how long it will take to order & recieve a black UCE. They didnt seem to know at all, but were guessing its a LONG wait. Anyone know of any black UCE's in NY?

BTW, thanks for all the replies, it really has been helpful.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: June 21, 2010, 03:40:06 pm
Well, I'm not convinced the Bonnie is the better bike and I have only one motorcycle, a C5.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #37 on: June 21, 2010, 06:26:31 pm

There is no question the Bonney is a better bike, and I think if I were to only have one bike, the Bonney is the obvious choice - it blends some of the old, but is throughly modern in execution...
Not sure I would call it better. Different yes. For me, I had to chose between the Triumph Scrambler and a Classic frame RE.
 I thought the Scrambler was  a fine motorcycle, but it was very heavy, high priced, and still slow.
Also, my riding speeds are not above 55mph. Had Hy -way riding been an issie,  I may have leaned to the twin engine Scrambler.

To date ,  I enjoy my RE. I need a high torque , light weight single for most of my riding. I even take it on an occasional cow trail with stock tires ( they do in India). I enjoy getting in the 60's for mpg.

In closing , purchase the motorcycle that suits MOST of your needs....no one bike is a be all and do all machine.......chose wisely my friend...enjoy.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #38 on: June 26, 2010, 05:47:16 pm
Just to close the thread.. I ended up ordering a black C5 Bullet. It should be here in a few weeks. :)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: June 26, 2010, 05:58:57 pm
You have chosen wisely, Grasshopper  ;D
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 07:29:36 pm by r80rt »
Iron Butt Association

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #40 on: June 30, 2010, 10:25:04 am
Just to close the thread.. I ended up ordering a black C5 Bullet. It should be here in a few weeks. :)

Congrats ! and PM sent
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #41 on: June 30, 2010, 04:46:51 pm
Your purchase was do to SUBliminal messages encoded in all the posts you read by forum members. Congrats on your purchase. You will need to condense a version of the low down on your new bike, this will save you time from the mobs of interested people that will approach you on a constant basis (less time talking = more time riding).
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #42 on: July 01, 2010, 05:57:20 am
Hah, ok I'll work on my Bullet speech.

One week down. Two to go!

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: July 01, 2010, 06:28:48 am
Wow thats a long wait .

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: July 01, 2010, 12:39:08 pm
I waited three months for mine, seemed like three years! :D
Iron Butt Association