Author Topic: New here.. Buying used vs new..?  (Read 6579 times)

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
on: June 17, 2010, 03:07:25 am
I am new here and have been searching the forums the last few days trying to get informed about this interesting bike. I have owned a couple newer bmws and sport bikes and im looking for something different. I looked pretty hard at the bonneville last year but in the end my heart just wasn't in it. Ive recently been looking at the re bullet Clasic 500 and have heard many good and bad things!

There is a fellow locally selling what appears to be a really nice example of a 2003 bullet. It has 1900 miles and some upgrades:
-right side shift
-intake box and sport exhaust
     -carb has been rejetted
-electric start
-pcv valve reworking?! (said it had something to do with a oil backup problem?!)
-lots of aesthetic things like chrome kit, solo seat, rack, headlight, bullet indicators, mirrors....

I'm interested in this bike because it has many upgrades that I would do anyway and I like how the owner (older fellow who seems to know a bit about older bikes like this) made it look more like an authentic 1950's bike. The fact that its used with a lower price tag than new is a plus, but I can afford to buy a new 2010 uce bike so its not a huge decision factor.

I'm mostly interested in knowing what the differences are from 2003 onward. I know there was a big upgrade in 2009 with the new motor, disk brakes, uce, etc and the safety aspects of that are a big plus for me. I'd also like to know what sort of reliability issues I should be expecting on a 2003. The bike only has 1900 miles and Ive read that may be a bad thing for a bike 8years old?!

Oh, does anyone know what the pcv mod was for? Does this show he knows this bike well, or indicates a problem?

What should I look for when I go for the test ride? I've never ridden a classic bike so this will all be new to me.

BTW, what is the bike above worth? The seller wants a lot more than kbb quotes.

Sorry for all the questions! Cheers.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 04:25:27 am by Sub »

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 04:43:06 am
bottom line...
   do you want to ride a classic or ride and work on a classic?
These are great bike; I've got over 30,000 on my 2003.
There is a lot of wrenching that goes with that... 
  The new ones are even better! IF I could swing it I'd be on a
c5 in a heartbeat. 
        just think'n outloud...     Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 05:39:50 am
I probably could wrench on one but these days I don't have enough free time, so I guess I want to just ride. I suppose it should be noted that I tend to only keep bikes for a couple years. I'd likely only put a few thousand miles on it-I plan to keep my sport bike.

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 05:42:10 am
   The original "iron barrel" motor does have a certain charm. But the iron kind of has to be babied.Flog the hell out of one and you'll blow it up. Take it easy and smell the roses and don't push the bike, and see how much fun can be had on a modestly powered classic motorcycle.  It will require tinkering. Use the electric start sparingly as the sprag clutch is a weak point. I only use the push button if I stall in traffic. My 2007 is approaching 4000 miles. I'll say it again that the Classic Bullet may be the best looking motorcycle ever (with the Triumph Bonneville and HD Sportster thrown in). The riding position is very good.

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 05:53:53 am
If you have another bike then this would make a nice addition. The ride will be complete opposite of your sport bike except for the SEG. If it is a well maintained bike and properly broken in then you will be in for a treat. Hopefully the owner has the whole array of fix it books and a parts book also. You will have to diddle around with it a bit but that is the fun of owning one. You have to give a little to get a lot! Having this forum for help is a big plus if you do decide to purchase one. Go for it, join the club. There is always room for one more Bullet brother.

Best of luck on your big decision Sub.

Blltrdr
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 06:09:45 am
I am new here and have been searching the forums the last few days trying to get informed about this interesting bike. I have owned a couple newer bmws and sport bikes and im looking for something different.

Ive recently been looking at the re bullet Clasic 500 and have heard many good and bad things!

.........but I can afford to buy a new 2010 uce bike so its not a huge decision factor.

. The bike only has 1900 miles and Ive read that may be a bad thing for a bike 8years old?!
Sorry for all the questions! Cheers
Go with NEW 2010 UCE !  It is a good bike that has kept the best features of old school bikes and enhanced the performance with new technology.  It is not completely free of wrenching, so it has a charm. But not too much to keep you tied down.

There are a lot of reviews and comments in the UCE section and many riders have 5000 to over 7000 miles on these new bikes in US, UK and India.  My vote goes to UCE  ;D

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 01:17:30 pm
The fact that you balked at the new Bonneville hints that you don't want a bike that is built to "look" like the original. And as you indicated you don't have the time to fiddle with the original, you have answered your own question.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
  • And on the eighth day, God said...."Let's Ride."
Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 01:42:33 pm
these are cool second bikes. you will do plenty o' wrenching, but you will draw alot of attention and they are fun to ride. for a dependable ride that consistently performs, stay japanese or european for your daily commute. i prefer japanese, but do enjoy riding the bullet, but wish i had bought a blown used one. i bought a new one and i'm re-building the engine to bring it up to decent standards. the new UCE models sound decent, but the cost puts them close to the price point of an aprilia or a bandit 1200, etc. the v-star 950 is metric of the year for not much more.

more than kbb value? he's trying to get you to pay for his personality that he placed in the bike. until you add your personality, it's inanimate. facts are facts, the numbers don't lie. i wouldn't pay more.

...and cyrusb may just be correct
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 02:24:31 pm by rideOn »
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 02:01:20 pm
From my reading of your questions and comments, I'd say you should look at a brand new one, such as the C5 or G5.

The new ones have a completely new powerplant, and it's all modernized, but the bikes keep the vintage appearance overall. Nice package for what you're looking for.

The older bikes are "enthusiast bikes" which require mechanical attention like most antique designs would require.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 02:58:33 pm
I had to make the same decision.  I decided to get a new AVL because;
1) I've had old bikes before they got old and know the break-in drill.  I don't trust many people to buy a new bike and do the break-in as painstakingly as I do.  What a major PITA.  But I could know the history on a bike where that's good to know.
2) I have very beginning stages oof Alzheimers.  I read that learning and using my hands may prolong full-on onset.  So, aside from brushing my teeth with my left hand, I'm learning about a motorcycle and doing mechanical things that I used to pay other people to do. 
Sounds dumb, but this has also kind of developed into some kind of "bombing" thing.  Mmmm-- BONDING thing.  Sometimes that includes the desire to bomb, however.

I found out later that the SVL is sort of an interim model sure to be wilding valuable in the next few years.  However- when it becomes worth multiple of 10's of dollars, I' probably won't sell and get a UCE just because I sort of like people being amazed that my chain still looks like new and it comes to life so easily- all because I take care of it.

So, the question becomes, you either want real vintage or modern-easy that LOOKS vintage.  They're both fun to ride, but one you can relax a little more on.  Hey- I have a fake Brit bike (W650), so I get it.
Run what ya brung

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 03:14:00 pm
Hi Sub and welcome aboard.

I have an '06 Iron barrel and took my neighbors UCE powered C5 for a spin around the shopping center parking lot.

Here's my take on his C5 as compared to my Iron Barrel.

Its an improved Bullet that rides and handles like a Bullet should and does. Nimble and effortless without drama. Front suspension is a bit more refined than mine. Rear shock are certainly improved.

Power is up and braking distances are down. Throttle response is crisper too.
 Shifting is smooth with a light and positive Ka-snick at gear change because it is the same five speed gearbox that has been with us since '04.They just gave it a vertical inclination to fit the guts into the unit engines cases. Clutching is smother and drag free, pull and feel have been retained.

The UCE engine was designed to handle cruising all day and all nigh at 60-65 with out overheating.  Attempting that with my stock Iron barrel will result in seized motor rather quickly.

Our forum brother report that their UCE machines run and run well with out the need for constant fussing.

Yah I want one.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 05:43:25 pm
Geez...don't ask me;I bought all three of mine used...my 2002 Iron Barrel Classic 500 ES only had 166 miles on the clock when I bought it,and it had been sitting for seven years because the previous owner had passed away...I changed the oil and gas,put a new plug in it,and replaced all of the rubber/vinyl hoses,and followed the break-in procedure religiously...I ride it everyday,and just turned over 3500 miles...no worries so far...easy to work on,easy to get parts for,parts are cheap...which is why I have a 1999,a 2000,and a 2002,plus a parts bike that I can rob things off of,instead of three vintage Triumphs,BSA's,Nortons,etc...wrenching can be fun,and figuring out what is wrong,and fixing it yourself,can be very rewarding...having said that;if you just want to ride,buy the C5...if you like to tinker,buy a low miles Iron Barrel Classic...just my two cents worth...
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 08:25:44 pm
Thanks for the replies. I am surprised that so many are pushing me towards the new one, but it is good logic. I was hoping to hear the older 2003 was more reliable than the 1950's version, but its not looking wholly that way.

But it sounds like if the used one was well looked after and broken in properly it should be a good bike - which I suspect it was based on the conversation I had with the owner - he seemed to have in depth knowledge of the bike and did mention researching and purchasing books on the RE.  Perhaps only minimal work would be required (new plug, hoses). I think I'll still go take a look at it in person to see if it pushes the right buttons in my gut. The dealer doesnt have a demo, so at the very least it will give me a feeling for what the bike is about.

The fellow has the bike listed at $3500, which seems a bit steep to me for a niche bike that is 7 years old. He actually mentioned he bought it new for $4500. I think KBB is around $2200 retail, but if you figure in its lower mileage and accessories, it should fetch a bit more. I know if I brought this bike to a dealer, it'd catch more like $1400!. Part of my thoughts are.. buy  the old one and if it sucks, trade it in on a UCE. Its a bit of a risk though..   :-X

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 08:51:52 pm
Thanks for the replies. I am surprised that so many are pushing me towards the new one, but it is good logic. I was hoping to hear the older 2003 was more reliable than the 1950's version, but its not looking wholly that way.

But it sounds like if the used one was well looked after and broken in properly it should be a good bike - which I suspect it was based on the conversation I had with the owner - he seemed to have in depth knowledge of the bike and did mention researching and purchasing books on the RE.  Perhaps only minimal work would be required (new plug, hoses). I think I'll still go take a look at it in person to see if it pushes the right buttons in my gut. The dealer doesnt have a demo, so at the very least it will give me a feeling for what the bike is about.

The fellow has the bike listed at $3500, which seems a bit steep to me for a niche bike that is 7 years old. He actually mentioned he bought it new for $4500. I think KBB is around $2200 retail, but if you figure in its lower mileage and accessories, it should fetch a bit more. I know if I brought this bike to a dealer, it'd catch more like $1400!. Part of my thoughts are.. buy  the old one and if it sucks, trade it in on a UCE. Its a bit of a risk though..   :-X

The 2003 model IS the "1950's version".
For all intents and purposes, the engines and transmissions are the same, and most of the other parts are too. Except for the electric start system and  turn signals and stuff like that.

They are a design from an era where 45mph was the norm, and regular mechanical adjustments were expected as normal activity of the owner.
This is great for an enthusiast, but it might not fit into the lifestyle of many modern people.

Who knows?  You might end up really  enjoyiing the tinkering aspects. Many of us do.
But, some don't, and they usually move on to a different bike in a short time.

The new bikes are meant to avoid that issue, and provide more of a modern result with less tinkering.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 08:54:18 pm by ace.cafe »

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 09:00:37 pm
Go for the UCE my man. There is a reason why this section of the forum has more posts that the UCE section. The UCE owners are busy riding.

The only reason I would buy the iron engine is I could ACE it up.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 09:20:55 pm

But it sounds like if the used one was well looked after and broken in properly it should be a good bike - which I suspect it was based on the conversation I had with the owner - he seemed to have in depth knowledge of the bike and did mention researching and purchasing books on the RE.  Perhaps only minimal work would be required (new plug, hoses). I think I'll still go take a look at it in person to see if it pushes the right buttons in my gut. The dealer doesnt have a demo, so at the very least it will give me a feeling for what the bike is about.

The fellow has the bike listed at $3500, which seems a bit steep to me for a niche bike that is 7 years old. He actually mentioned he bought it new for $4500. I think KBB is around $2200 retail, but if you figure in its lower mileage and accessories, it should fetch a bit more. I know if I brought this bike to a dealer, it'd catch more like $1400!. Part of my thoughts are.. buy  the old one and if it sucks, trade it in on a UCE. Its a bit of a risk though..   :-X

That price does seem a little steep but should be some wiggle room built into that asking price. If you do look at it bring a camera and take some pics to post and if you can shoot a vid so we can see how it runs. This maybe be helpful to you for gathering advise from members on this forum before you pull the trigger.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

Lahti35

• Currently Enfield-less!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • The Department of Redundancy Deptartment.
Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 10:55:13 pm

The fellow has the bike listed at $3500, which seems a bit steep to me for a niche bike that is 7 years old.

Be carefull to buy the bike and not the story.... the seller i bought mine from stretched the truth as i later found out. I piad $3000 for my used 2006 last year. I wanted to pay a bit less but it was localish so i saved on shipping. I knew i had to have it when i pilled up to the sellers house and saw it in the driveway 8)

I love to wrench on my 06 and I do....alot. I've spent the last year modifying it to my taste and have many things i'd like to do yet.

It sounds like you really want that particular used one. My advice would be to go and check it out, can't hurt. If you can get it for a decent price it might be worth buying to try it out ;D There's no free ride with and Iron barrel enfield though, you gotta earn those miles!
'03 Ex-Electric start 500....gone but not forgotten...

I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 10:56:12 pm
Check out David Blasco's Blog...royalenfields.com...he lists all of the Royal Enfields on eBay and Craig's List at any given time...I see great bikes on there all of the time for $1000-$6000,with many in the $2000-$3000 price range...really cool Peacock Blue Cafe Style 2000 Iron Barrel Classic in Orlando right now for less than 2K....
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 11:19:49 pm
. There is a reason why this section of the forum has more posts that the UCE section. The UCE owners are busy riding.

Well, yes that and the fact that the UCE 's just showed up last year ::)
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #19 on: June 18, 2010, 03:42:38 pm
Welp, I went to take a look at it, and she is a nice looking bike! I gave the bike a good once-over and got a little scared. There was a bit of oil leaking from all around the engine cases, and particularly from a bolt on the backside of the casing-  towards the top. It was a flush bolt that looks sort of like a sensor, but I didn't see a wire. It was seeping a drop just from when we started the bike. The owner was honest and forthright and I appreciated that - nice guy as well. He said that they all leak a bit, and I guess thats true for the most part. Non the less, I think I need a bike with a little less TLC required and I've decided to look at new only  - should have listened to you all from the start, eh!? :) I didn't ride the bike, but it did start up just fine, albeit with a nice puff of smoke on startup (normal?!). Here is a picture of the beauty!

(pic makes her look black, but she is indeed BR green). If anyone is interested in this bike, PM and I'll provide contact details.

The local RE dealer has just starting to allow demo rides on their Bullet so I will stop down there to check out the 2010 version this weekend. I've asked him how long it takes to order a bike (I want black) and am awaiting a reply there - anyone have any insight on lead times? Wish me luck!!

BTW, I'm going to need some accessories! Is the best place to get them Nfieldgear.com?

Thanks again for the replies and warm welcome; this looks like a nice enthusiasts site.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #20 on: June 18, 2010, 04:11:24 pm
Hmm,  Nice looking ride.  Get rid of that ridiculous E-start and it would be near perfect..

Good luck on the UCE..  It will be a fun machine to have.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: June 18, 2010, 04:27:58 pm
Actually, about 99% of the time, things like little oil leaks are pretty harmless and easily solved.
It's the stuff that you DON'T see that gets ya.
I have a 2005 military Bullet sitting outside right now that looks perfect, with only about 3800 miles on the odometer. The crankshaft is broken.  Can't tell by looking at it, but when you kick it over, the piston doesn't go up and down, so it can't run. After I rebuild the engine and fix the crank, it'll be a beautiful bike.
The previous owner didn't do anything to cause it. It was just bad luck. He only rode it for a few hundred miles after buying it used, and then the crank let go.

That 2003 Bullet you posted a picture of is a pretty nice Bullet, and somebody who knows Bullets would really enjoy having that.
When you buy used, you just have to brace yourself for what might happen if you don't have good luck.
My typical practice is to buy them after they are already broken, and pay a low price, and then rebuild the engine the way I know it will be good.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 04:35:26 pm by ace.cafe »

Lahti35

• Currently Enfield-less!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • The Department of Redundancy Deptartment.
Reply #22 on: June 18, 2010, 06:13:53 pm
Nice looking bike, glad you went to look at it ;D

Good luck with the newer RE and welcome to the forum!
'03 Ex-Electric start 500....gone but not forgotten...

I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: June 18, 2010, 08:33:27 pm
 The UCE machines are the better Bullet from the get go.
You can always pick up an Iron Barrel later  ;)

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: June 19, 2010, 12:13:17 am
That Green Bullet looks just like my 2002 did when I bought it...166 miles on the clock,and I paid $2500...I think $3500 is a little steep,but I wouldn't be afraid of it...and as far as electric start models go,I love mine,but I have two kick start models that run well,too...let us know what you decide!

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #25 on: June 19, 2010, 12:35:43 am
That's about as pretty as they come used. Only thing to do next is agree on price.

I will say a G-5 in British Racing Green would be nice also.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #26 on: June 20, 2010, 06:53:10 pm
Ok, so I went to the dealer, test rode a c5 and I do indeed like it. I had a little smile as I put-putted along. Last year I was very interested in the Bonneville, so I opted for a test ride on a 2010 FI Bonny t100 whilst my salesman was busy. Perhaps this was a mistake because driving the two bikes back to back, I realized how much more refined and powerful the Bonny is than the RE - it also corners beautifully; confidence inspiring. It made me feel like if I were to buy the RE I'd be buying a low quality machine.

I think the other thing that bothered me a bit was the vibration. After 10 miles, my hands were pretty shook up on the RE. This bike has 30 miles on the clock btw.

So my internal fight now is: Do I want a quality machine or a machine with character. I internally value each of these things equally, so now I find myself at a standstill as to which bike to get. Thinking out loud, here is a summary the matter..

RE:
-classic styling
-transforms me into James Dean
-conversation piece
-forces you to slow down, look around
-thumper reminds me of my first bike
-$2500 less.

Bonny:
-much better quality and engineering
-a bit common looking, but after a pipe and air box removal, sounds and looks better (I'd do a blacked out look) - lovely little backfires and burbles with the Arrow exhaust
-much nicer for two-up
-presumably higher resale
-In stock, wont have to wait to order one

Its frustrating, bit I guess this is a good dilemma to have! Maybe some of you that have owned both can chime in..

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: June 20, 2010, 07:25:25 pm
I think it comes down to which bike "speaks to you".
Different people have different preferences.

Which one do you REALLY want to ride and own?

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: June 20, 2010, 08:47:54 pm
Somebody taught me a trick many years ago;
Give a coin a high toss and while it's in the air >QUICK< do you hope it comes up heads or tails?  That's the one you really want.

I test rode a Bonneville and had trouble with the visibility.  I could just barely see through my tears of disappointment.  So- I got a W650.   Maybe you should wait to find one of those, or test a Guzzi V7 Classic, too.

Sounds like your heart kind of wants an RE, but your head thinks your crazy. 
Good luck ~   ???   :o   ::)   ;D
Run what ya brung

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #29 on: June 20, 2010, 08:58:15 pm
I notice only a light vibration when testing the C5 and G5 last year and comparing it to my classic model. I remember the original Bonnie's vibrated pretty heavy also. I would say that the new Bonnie might be a little bit to refined which takes away from some of the character the original offered. The new Bullet IMHO would be a closer representation of melding old with new. You did mention in your initial post that you have a sport bike, wouldn't this fill the performance void if you did decide to purchase a C5?  Can you test the bikes for at least a full day so you can get a better idea of which one would suite your need? Maybe the Triumph might be the better choice if you just want to ride without all the attention the C5 will get you. OMG all the hoopla associated with the little Bullet  :o, c'mon people it's just a simple motorbike not a rockstar!   ;) Or is it?

I pulled up to a yard sale a couple days ago and immediately a guy and his wife left the sale and came (ran) over to check out my Bullet. He owns an older Bonnie and just loves British bikes and of course I spent the usual 10-15 minutes giving them the lowdown and while we're talking an older gentleman drove up and came over and said in an English accent, " This is a Royal Enfield Bullet, I owned one of these ('53 350)!" He was 74 yy and I could see by the look in his eyes that eyeing my Bullet transported him back to his youth. These bikes offer so much more as far as ownership goes than what most will give you.

So Sub you have a little soul searching to do, one of the two will have stronger pull on you so go with your gut.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

chonpuun

• Scooter
Reply #30 on: June 20, 2010, 09:28:10 pm
i have a 07 bonniville  and a 05 re classic 500  ,the triumph is a hundred percent  realiable  and more than enough power.the  bullet is a member of the family, it has had a few problems but it has made me get involved with it .to me on acold morning  no one around motor thumping as  only a  500 can do, it is one of lifes experiances  ,i feel so happy i shout and sing ,that has not happened when riding the bonny.     chonpuun australia

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: June 21, 2010, 01:49:59 am
Ok, so I went to the dealer, test rode a c5 and I do indeed like it. I had a little smile as I put-putted along. Last year I was very interested in the Bonneville, so I opted for a test ride on a 2010 FI Bonny t100 whilst my salesman was busy. Perhaps this was a mistake because driving the two bikes back to back, I realized how much more refined and powerful the Bonny is than the RE - it also corners beautifully; confidence inspiring. It made me feel like if I were to buy the RE I'd be buying a low quality machine.

I think the other thing that bothered me a bit was the vibration. After 10 miles, my hands were pretty shook up on the RE. This bike has 30 miles on the clock btw.

So my internal fight now is: Do I want a quality machine or a machine with character. I internally value each of these things equally, so now I find myself at a standstill as to which bike to get. Thinking out loud, here is a summary the matter..

RE:
-classic styling
-transforms me into James Dean
-conversation piece
-forces you to slow down, look around
-thumper reminds me of my first bike
-$2500 less.

Bonny:
-much better quality and engineering
-a bit common looking, but after a pipe and air box removal, sounds and looks better (I'd do a blacked out look) - lovely little backfires and burbles with the Arrow exhaust
-much nicer for two-up
-presumably higher resale
-In stock, wont have to wait to order one

Its frustrating, bit I guess this is a good dilemma to have! Maybe some of you that have owned both can chime in..

The vibration gets significantly better with time.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: June 21, 2010, 02:01:04 am
I think you should join up at Triumph Rat and give the Bonnie equal time.
Run what ya brung

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #33 on: June 21, 2010, 02:18:39 am
I sold a darn nice '05 Bonnie to buy my C5, I do NOT regret it. ;D And I've had no quality issues with my Enfield but the Bonnie's wheels rusted pretty quick.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 02:30:52 am by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Beankyu

• Neophyte
Reply #34 on: June 21, 2010, 02:34:42 am
Why don't we consider it.
I think it's good idea.

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #35 on: June 21, 2010, 05:09:13 am
Beankyu, whats a good idea?!

UncleErnie-  I've been a member there for a year or so. I researched the Bonny and thruxton heavily last year.

...i feel so happy i shout and sing ,that has not happened when riding the bonny.
This is what I'm going for.. I remember singing dum dee dum to myself on the test ride. :)

There is no question the Bonney is a better bike, and I think if I were to only have one bike, the Bonney is the obvious choice - it blends some of the old, but is throughly modern in execution... but it lacks one thing IMO, character.  I think my heart really is tugging me towards the Bullet for this reason. It goes against most of what I've trained myself to look for in new vehicles (technology, modern looks, speed), so this all feels very strange. I guess the worst case is that I bore of it quickly and take a bit of a monetary loss. :)

I'm still waiting to hear back from the dealer how long it will take to order & recieve a black UCE. They didnt seem to know at all, but were guessing its a LONG wait. Anyone know of any black UCE's in NY?

BTW, thanks for all the replies, it really has been helpful.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: June 21, 2010, 03:40:06 pm
Well, I'm not convinced the Bonnie is the better bike and I have only one motorcycle, a C5.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #37 on: June 21, 2010, 06:26:31 pm

There is no question the Bonney is a better bike, and I think if I were to only have one bike, the Bonney is the obvious choice - it blends some of the old, but is throughly modern in execution...
Not sure I would call it better. Different yes. For me, I had to chose between the Triumph Scrambler and a Classic frame RE.
 I thought the Scrambler was  a fine motorcycle, but it was very heavy, high priced, and still slow.
Also, my riding speeds are not above 55mph. Had Hy -way riding been an issie,  I may have leaned to the twin engine Scrambler.

To date ,  I enjoy my RE. I need a high torque , light weight single for most of my riding. I even take it on an occasional cow trail with stock tires ( they do in India). I enjoy getting in the 60's for mpg.

In closing , purchase the motorcycle that suits MOST of your needs....no one bike is a be all and do all machine.......chose wisely my friend...enjoy.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #38 on: June 26, 2010, 05:47:16 pm
Just to close the thread.. I ended up ordering a black C5 Bullet. It should be here in a few weeks. :)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: June 26, 2010, 05:58:57 pm
You have chosen wisely, Grasshopper  ;D
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 07:29:36 pm by r80rt »
Iron Butt Association

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: June 30, 2010, 10:25:04 am
Just to close the thread.. I ended up ordering a black C5 Bullet. It should be here in a few weeks. :)

Congrats ! and PM sent

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #41 on: June 30, 2010, 04:46:51 pm
Your purchase was do to SUBliminal messages encoded in all the posts you read by forum members. Congrats on your purchase. You will need to condense a version of the low down on your new bike, this will save you time from the mobs of interested people that will approach you on a constant basis (less time talking = more time riding).
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #42 on: July 01, 2010, 05:57:20 am
Hah, ok I'll work on my Bullet speech.

One week down. Two to go!

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: July 01, 2010, 06:28:48 am
Wow thats a long wait .

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: July 01, 2010, 12:39:08 pm
I waited three months for mine, seemed like three years! :D
Iron Butt Association