Author Topic: running good, yes. paranoid, you betcha  (Read 1132 times)

michaelkerchner

• Scooter
on: June 16, 2010, 08:03:50 pm
i have a 4 speed iron.  it sat outside for years before i bought it but i can proudly say thanks to this forum it is getting the love it deserves.  i have done the right foot conversion and spent much time gutting and cleaning and rejetting the carb, setting the valve clearance and what not.  also my dad has had an enfield for quite a while and it is now my responsibility to keep his bike up to snuff also.  so onto my question
my bike runs amazing, awesome low end pull out power, smooth acceleration all around. but i hear this noise that i would like to know if anyone can help me out with. i know these are shaky machines ie, turn signal buzzing and such, and i have tried to zero in on this particular noise but i cant, it is kind of a "chirp" is the best i can describe it.  like a squeaky spring on an office chair, but it only comes on at about 1/4 throttle in all gears.  my first suspicion was preignition but i have statically set my timing and no matter how much i retard the timing (even into poor running) the noise is still there.  once i am above or below this throttle position it stops.  also i tried to see if i could get it to worsen by lugging the bike a couple of times but it did nor change anything for better or for worse. 
soooo i check my plugs pretty much after every ride, because im anal and paranoid and they look fine as far as mixture and as for as all the pictures i have ever seen of plugs suffering from predetonation they dont look like that either.  would i see signs of predetonation on the plug before i blow a whole in my piston? should i be worried about this sound? do i just worry to much for someone my age? the answer to that last one is yes.
thanks a bunch
michael

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 08:10:28 pm
if you had your primary off did you check to make sure your alternator rotor nut was tight? and that there is clearance between the stator all around? If not might be worth a check...

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 08:15:12 pm
Hi michaelkerchner,

Welcome aboard and congrats on your Bullet. Awesome that you and Dad have the Bullet thing going on.

These things do make unique noises their own music. Fuel tank and head steady tight ? all hardware tight ? Exhaust leaky anywhere ?  Those are just the first things that pop to mind.

Doubtless our forum brothers will be along today with more tips.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 08:17:13 pm by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

michaelkerchner

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 08:26:11 pm
thanks RGT and thanks ice, i did make sure of clearance on the alternator and tightened it down about 800 miles ago, i suppose it could have fallen out of adjustment but also the sound is coming from top center not really around left bottom which was the reasoning for my fear of pinging in the cylinder area.  the tank will be my next check, god knows ive had it off enough that i may have went a little easy on her the last time i put it back on.

im the left this is before the switch
and my other dream of a ride

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 10:09:33 pm
I have a '69 Honda C110 that looks like your dream ride in miniature...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 11:48:57 pm
Looking good, MIchael!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 01:18:35 am
Somebody else was talking about this exact same noise a week or so ago.  I think he put a longer duckbill on his breather tube to make it go away.  ? 

I finally found my headlight was shaking in the ring a little.  I jammed a strip of cardboard from a package in the bottom aand it's fine.  For now.
Run what ya brung

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 02:55:56 am
My 1st bike was a Honda Dream.Don't have anything on the chirp.Can you make it happen when the bike is not in motion?

michaelkerchner

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 03:25:05 am
no that was another thing, in neutral at a stop i can rev the engine and no chirp.