Author Topic: Rusty nuts and bolts  (Read 7253 times)

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: June 21, 2010, 01:08:46 am
I got that same message yesterday with a picture of proper size.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #31 on: June 21, 2010, 01:16:48 pm
This is a very good point - I think, however that NON-FERROUS Stainless alloys - even when placed with dis-similar metals - offer galvanic corrosion protection. I know that if you put iron pipe and copper together in a boiler / chiller system, it'll rot out 1/2" thick stuff in a year if you don't use dielectric flanges .... It's crazy, I tell ya .... crazy! Any chiller guys out there know the poop on non-ferrous stainless alloy corrosion?? NOW I'm interested ......  ;)

After a little further reading on that subject, I find that what I MEANT to say here was NON-MAGNETIC - You guys are right - stainless STEEL is ferrous because it has IRON in it (gimme a big DUH-HUH!! ::)) - I was confusing THAT with the stuff that has so much nickel and chrome and what not in it that it isn't magnetic anymore. That's supposed to be the least corrosive. Bear in mind that I'm not going to get out a folding chair and a beer and watch mine corrode, though - I'm going to RIDE the dang thing - and if, in my lifetime, the head nuts tinkle down through all the cylinder fins and land on top of the case - I'll repair it ...... but 'til THEN .........  ;D ........ just ridin'.
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

mtrueblood

• Scooter
Reply #32 on: June 22, 2010, 04:07:44 pm
I've been trying to upload a picture of the repairs I made (only about 250KB ~ much smaller than the 4MB limit), but I keep getting this message: "The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator. "  I shrunk the photo down to a useless 5KB (fingernail size), but I get the same message.

Anyway, I wirebrushed the rust off of the nuts and bolts, and painted on some engine enamel.
Michael Trueblood

mtrueblood

• Scooter
Reply #33 on: June 23, 2010, 01:36:21 am
engine enamel on rusty nuts and bolts.  the color match isn't great, but I'm no longer worried about the machine rusting out from under me.
Michael Trueblood