Author Topic: Rusty nuts and bolts  (Read 7271 times)

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 12:03:40 am
red locktite :o

Man, that's a heat thing to break that loose.. Blue is bad enough, but at least you can break it loose.. I only use red when I for sure don't plan to undo it..

But that's me. ;D

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 01:23:42 am

Man, that's a heat thing to break that loose.. Blue is bad enough, but at least you can break it loose.. I only use red when I for sure don't plan to undo it..

But that's me. ;D

You are using too much!! Hahaha!! It's like Brylcreem - just a dab'll do ya! Seriously, tho - You CAN use too much of the stuff .... I "slather" with blue - it'll come loose - I "dab" with red - especially on the little stuff - but I usually USE the red because it can't be beat for holding stuff in place (It actually CAN be beat with GREEN stud and bearing mount - but we won't EVEN go there for an Enfield ... Hahaha!!) the red stuff WILL hold more than the torsional strength of some hardware store bolts. There is a really good article in SAE.org on this .... I paid for it - it's probably free by now .....
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 05:52:53 am

But that's me. ;D

And me. 

I take it that you also thoroughly de grease the nuts and bolts threads to remove all traces of oil before the application of thread locking compounds ?
No matter where you go, there, you are.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 11:56:41 am
And me. 

I take it that you also thoroughly de grease the nuts and bolts threads to remove all traces of oil before the application of thread locking compounds ?

That's they recommended way. It's like anything else that has "room for error" - IF you leave the fasteners oily and IF you don't use enough, you MAY not get the holding that you want. This is why I use the red stuff most of the time - there isn't enough "sanitation" in a field repair, usually, to get ALL the "hold" out of the stuff. That and the fact that I ain't gonna FUSS with it that much ..... Hahaha!  ;)

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: June 18, 2010, 01:51:47 pm
"As things progress, I've very gradually been converting to stainless steel fasteners. "

Stainless steel in aluminum, have to be careful.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: June 18, 2010, 03:26:02 pm
The expert on rusty nuts -

This has only been a couple of items so far, but if you mean "don't over-torque", then no.  I'm very careful about that. 
Run what ya brung

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: June 18, 2010, 04:44:08 pm
The expert on rusty nuts -

This has only been a couple of items so far, but if you mean "don't over-torque", then no.  I'm very careful about that. 

No Mister Know it All, I am referring to galvanic corrosion when using stainless steel in aluminum.
REA #25
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #22 on: June 18, 2010, 05:03:41 pm

No Mister Know it All, I am referring to galvanic corrosion when using stainless steel in aluminum.

This is a very good point - I think, however that NON-FERROUS Stainless alloys - even when placed with dis-similar metals - offer galvanic corrosion protection. I know that if you put iron pipe and copper together in a boiler / chiller system, it'll rot out 1/2" thick stuff in a year if you don't use dielectric flanges .... It's crazy, I tell ya .... crazy! Any chiller guys out there know the poop on non-ferrous stainless alloy corrosion?? NOW I'm interested ......  ;)

mtrueblood

• Scooter
Reply #23 on: June 18, 2010, 10:26:17 pm
ScooterBob,
Heat exchangers on a Navy ship 30 years ago.  I remember making sure my enginmen checked the sacrificial anodes (zinc) periodically.  Not really relevant to the original question, but someone mentioned galvanic reaction.
Michael Trueblood

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: June 18, 2010, 10:36:05 pm
So what is it?  Using stainless fasteners is going to melt holes in my aluminium cases?
Run what ya brung

mtrueblood

• Scooter
Reply #25 on: June 18, 2010, 11:18:10 pm
Stainless steel fasteners are not going to melt holes in your aluminum cases.  At least, not for quite a while.  The two metals in contact with each other in the presence of moisture (especially salty moisture) will produce a galvanic reaction.  And, the aluminum will the be the anode.  It will be the metal that corrodes.  There's plenty of info on the internet about the process.  Where possible, polymer washers are recommended. 
Michael Trueblood

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: June 19, 2010, 02:03:38 am
If I read this correctly, they claim stainless is ferrous. ???
Notice the reference to galvanic corrosion.

http://www.inoxgrp.co.uk/pdf%20files/Tech%20sheets/PhysChem.pdf
REA #25
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #27 on: June 19, 2010, 03:20:45 am
If I read this correctly, they claim stainless is ferrous. ???
Notice the reference to galvanic corrosion.

http://www.inoxgrp.co.uk/pdf%20files/Tech%20sheets/PhysChem.pdf

Yup,
 Stainless Steel is still steel,,BUT,,with a higher content of things in it than other steels. Things like nickle and chromium.
For our purposes we needn't worry much if at all.

If we were concerned about a stainless bolt becoming frozen in an aluminum part the big solution would be to Heli-coil the hole.

Any galvanic reaction would be confined to between the stainless coil and the aluminum .

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: June 20, 2010, 12:39:06 am
REA #25
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

mtrueblood

• Scooter
Reply #29 on: June 20, 2010, 11:05:54 pm
wire brushed the rust off, and then painted the nuts with engine enamel

how come I can't upload a picture (only 250KB).  I keep getting this message:
The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator.
Michael Trueblood