Author Topic: The imponderable question of the ages.  (Read 7242 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
on: June 14, 2010, 12:13:22 am
why do people who don't know which end of a screwdriver to hit the nail with, buy Bullets?
Home of the Fireball 535 !

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 12:32:01 am
 I know why one guy that knows his way around a tool box never bought an older one. ;)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 01:24:28 am by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 12:51:55 am
why do people who don't know which end of a screwdriver to hit the nail with, buy Bullets?

Hey hey hey. What ever happened to the all-inclusive, welcome aboard, whomever-you-are, brotherly love, all-inclusive, RE fraternity, we're-here-to-help wether you're a novice or pro, family thing?  I guess that went out the window.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 12:59:36 am
Ya gotta start somewhere.
Run what ya brung

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 01:01:19 am
People like to challenge themselves and learning something new is always fun. What's the problem?
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 01:24:31 am
Good answers!

I guess it isn't so hard to figure out after all.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 02:05:06 am

It is the modern day mantra - It is called  "On The Job Training" !
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Jinx

• Here we go again!
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 04:04:08 am
The same reason people walk over hot coals. ;D Or bunjee jump with the rope tied to their scrotum.  :D
What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

2 ways to get to the top of a tree. Sit on an acorn or start climbing!

2008 RE Classic Deluxe
1990 HD FXST-C
1970 HD XLCH
1942 HD WLA
& probably enough parts lying around to make another bike. LOL!

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 04:21:13 pm
     It is not just Enfields. You would be amazed at the things I see on all types of bikes. If it wasn't for the home mechanic, the motorcycle industry as we know it would collapse. I would have been forced to get a real job. I could have been somebody!

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
  • And on the eighth day, God said...."Let's Ride."
Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 04:52:26 pm
if one doesn't have a "i can make it bigger, better, stronger and faster" attitude", one doesn't deserve ANY tools to begin with.     ;D
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 05:12:17 pm

This is a difficult and annoying question to ME ..... but I'm right there with Vince. If it wasn't for gentle fellows working on their bikes with football bats, I'd be a greeter at Wal*Mart ..... or I'd just be able to get the "regular" job done ......  ::)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 05:38:59 pm
These are charismatic motorcycles and their appeal is strong enough for people to temporarily suspend rational judgement.

Also, as Bullets are sold in the modern world, a lot of people will just be wearing their buying-a-regular-consumer-product-hat when they walk around the show room. They won't be expecting to fall down a rabbit hole into some kind of parallel, but out of kilter, reality!

Luckily, the UCE Bullet should fit the bill and keep them sane.

;D
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 07:30:40 pm

Possibly lost and confused.  Wanting to be Marlon Brando or James Dean.  I used to say at the garage certain folks would be better off with a bus pass.  But hey at least they got something cheap to start with. 
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 07:52:08 pm
  Possibly lost and confused.  Wanting to be Marlon Brando or James Dean.  I used to say at the garage certain folks would be better off with a bus pass.  But hey at least they got something cheap to start with. 

I think "something they believe will be cheap" is a better way to put it.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 08:58:59 pm
My theory  s the design of the Bullet "speaks" to the mechanical center of the brain.

I believe that center exists in all humans to a greater or lesser degree.

Weather or not it has been sufficiently developed in the individual can only be measured in skinned knuckles, stripped fasteners and burnt spark plugs.  ;D
No matter where you go, there, you are.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 11:14:54 pm
I bought a Bullet for many reasons.  One relative reason is because I wanted to work on a motorcycle.  I never worked on engines growing up.  It was not a part of my childhood.  I never took engine classes in high school.  My old man was a fisherman.  That is what we did together.  Not engines.

I saw how much information there was on this site.  I saw the Snidal manual.  I love bikes.  I love classic anythings.  I loved the look, and the "idea" of the Enfield.  This was a match made in heaven.

No prior mechanical knowledge and I've had my Enfield apart in many ways so far.  It has been an amazing and rewarding learning experience.  She is running better than ever.

There is only 2 ways you can try that screwdriver Ace, and you got a 50/50 shot of getting it right.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 03:15:05 am
Common Ace. Even I know you don't use  screwdriver to hammer a nail. That's when you ask to borrow your buddy's pocket knife.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 11:49:29 am
Hey Boggy that was the best answer yet
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 01:22:15 pm
The Bullet is a pretty simple machine, so it's not a bad choice to learn on.

Actually it does take alot of guts for someone to tackle something that they have never done before, and are very much "in the dark" with.

HRAB

• I should really edit this
  • Grease Monkey
  • Been there, doin' more...God willing
Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 03:17:03 pm
My theory  s the design of the Bullet "speaks" to the mechanical center of the brain.

I believe that center exists in all humans to a greater or lesser degree.

Weather or not it has been sufficiently developed in the individual can only be measured in skinned knuckles, stripped fasteners and burnt spark plugs.  ;D

I think ICE is onto something here. The drive exists on so many levels. It may explain much of the human (irrational) behavior. Like why my wife decided to paint the bedroom while I was out of town. This is a woman who could paint as well with ACE's Screwdrive as she does with a brush or roller.
jim
BMWMOA www.bmwmoa.com
Iron Butt Association www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
(Formerly) CRA# 118N www.cra-mn.com (I got smarter in old age)
74 Honda XL350 'Scoot'
81 Honda CB650C
86 Gold Wing with California Sidecar
00 Honda ST1100 'Large Marge'

GBBullet

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 03:25:43 pm
Funny, because when I work in India for a bit we always referred to a hammer as an Indian Screwdriver
2007 HD Softtail Custom
2008 RE Bullet 500 Deluxe (Iron Barrel)

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 03:58:49 pm
There are a few other factors too that I think could contribute to Ace's concern.

1.) These bikes have gotten some main stream press in the last year or two.
2.) Classic is in right now.
3.) They are cheap, compared to a new Triumph. 

So, I think they are appealing at the moment to the general public, as opposed to just "bike" guys in past years.  It is really the dealers responsibility to convey the message that this bike required turning a screw, losing some oil, and the occasional crying session.

I read lots of "war" stories from you guys before my purchase and knew what I was getting into.  My first post was something like, "Anyone know a good mechanic in Boston?"  Someone responded with, "You can do this yourself."  A year later, I've read several other new posts that say, "Anyone know a good mechanic in...?," and I have to chuckle. 

With all that said, off to the AVL threads to post some questions!  Thanks guys.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: June 15, 2010, 06:26:06 pm
There are a few other factors too that I think could contribute to Ace's concern.

1.) These bikes have gotten some main stream press in the last year or two.
2.) Classic is in right now.
3.) They are cheap, compared to a new Triumph.  

So, I think they are appealing at the moment to the general public, as opposed to just "bike" guys in past years.  It is really the dealers responsibility to convey the message that this bike required turning a screw, losing some oil, and the occasional crying session.

I read lots of "war" stories from you guys before my purchase and knew what I was getting into.  My first post was something like, "Anyone know a good mechanic in Boston?"  Someone responded with, "You can do this yourself."  A year later, I've read several other new posts that say, "Anyone know a good mechanic in...?," and I have to chuckle.  

With all that said, off to the AVL threads to post some questions!  Thanks guys.

Boggy,
I definitely think that contributes to it.
Probably alot of these people thought that it was going to be "just like any other motorcycle, except cheaper, and looks cool".

And this is not just a USA thing. If you read the other forums around the world, many other people are in the same boat.
Something that I could do with the twist of my "handy-dandy pocket screwdriver" at a stop-light, is keeping them off the road for days, and building up alot of frustration with a new bike not working reliably. Often it is a very simple thing, but  you have to know what it is, and what to do.

I do agree that people can do it themselves. However, they don't get that knowledge when they get the keys handed to them. It takes some time, and probably some frustration. Something that some of them were not ready for, and expected at least some time on the bike before they had to fiddle with it.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 06:29:47 pm by ace.cafe »

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 08:46:19 pm
The Bullet is a pretty simple machine, so it's not a bad choice to learn on.

Actually it does take alot of guts for someone to tackle something that they have never done before, and are very much "in the dark" with.

ACE - Yo have hit upon something very big and very real here - It DOES take a LOT of guts to tackle something that you know absolutely nothing about. The PROBLEM comes with the "Gold Star Generation" (You know - EVERYBODY gets the gold star on the forehead whether they do it right or not ...) cannot accept the prospect of utter and total defeat without trying to put the blame or responsibility on someone other than themselves for doing it! For example - If I choose to do some hard core computer work (out of my realm), I'm NOT going to call up Bill Gates and whine because I just crashed my hard drive and lost five years of info and all my programs. I'm going to say several CHOICE words and phrases, buy a new computer, format the hard drive or get some more literature and figger it out. I try not to work TOO far away from what I'm familiar with .... but sometimes a fellow will. It is in THOSE times that a fellow must accept what he's done at the face value - good OR bad and deal with it. I think THAT is where the continuum falls apart. Good observation, ACE!!

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #24 on: June 16, 2010, 08:43:56 pm
Many people are being forced out of there comfort zone with job upheavals.

U-Tube is a great how-to libray on how to fix most anything.

2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #25 on: June 16, 2010, 09:58:42 pm
ACE - Yo have hit upon something very big and very real here - It DOES take a LOT of guts to tackle something that you know absolutely nothing about. The PROBLEM comes with the "Gold Star Generation" (You know - EVERYBODY gets the gold star on the forehead whether they do it right or not ...) cannot accept the prospect of utter and total defeat without trying to put the blame or responsibility on someone other than themselves for doing it! For example - If I choose to do some hard core computer work (out of my realm), I'm NOT going to call up Bill Gates and whine because I just crashed my hard drive and lost five years of info and all my programs. I'm going to say several CHOICE words and phrases, buy a new computer, format the hard drive or get some more literature and figger it out. I try not to work TOO far away from what I'm familiar with .... but sometimes a fellow will. It is in THOSE times that a fellow must accept what he's done at the face value - good OR bad and deal with it. I think THAT is where the continuum falls apart. Good observation, ACE!!

Along these line is this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evtt-R7Rmdw

Love this guy....
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: June 16, 2010, 11:32:44 pm
I think about two thirds of motorcycles in general are sold as fashion assessories. I don't complain though becuase it creates a great barely-used bike market for the rest of us.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #27 on: June 17, 2010, 01:35:20 am

Along these line is this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evtt-R7Rmdw

Love this guy....

If that old big boy would wake up with morning wood and a taste for fried chicken every Sunday - he could be a Southern Baptist preacher ...... He started to make sense a couple of times - but fell right off ..... it's almost as if you could see the glint of the gold star on HIS forehead .....

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #28 on: June 17, 2010, 01:37:45 am
I think about two thirds of motorcycles in general are sold as fashion assessories. I don't complain though becuase it creates a great barely-used bike market for the rest of us.

Hahaha!! No truer words have ever been spoken here! The "market" takes advantage of that fact with "all style and no substance" .... then there is the Enfield. VERY substantive - and now with the C5 - stylish! They got it the RIGHT way around ..... Brilliant!