Author Topic: Plymouth Mega-Ride  (Read 3601 times)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
on: June 13, 2010, 05:46:42 pm
Just back from the Plymouth MegaRide. HOLY MOLY!  Thousands  -  THOUSANDS of bikes filling both lanes of the A38 in both directions. Continuous thunder, the air heavy with exhaust aromas, every bridge and lay-by along the way lined with people waving and filming.
What a hoot.

And just as an aside - there are probably more Harleys in south-west England than the whole USA....

www.mega-ride.co.uk
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 07:26:26 pm
Just back from the Plymouth MegaRide. HOLY MOLY!  Thousands  -  THOUSANDS of bikes filling both lanes of the A38 in both directions. Continuous thunder, the air heavy with exhaust aromas, every bridge and lay-by along the way lined with people waving and filming.
What a hoot.

And just as an aside - there are probably more Harleys in south-west England than the whole USA....

www.mega-ride.co.uk

You mean England has a Harley pollution problem, too?? Deary dear .... This will never do! I always thought of England as WAY more civilised than WE were in the USA ....  ::) Drat .....
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 08:31:03 pm
Pollution indeed   ;D  Is THAT why I keep sneezing and snuffling this time of year! Harleys! I spent a fortune on pollen allergy remedies..... :-\

Adjust your records - we are only SLIGHTLY more civilised.  ;)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 11:06:32 pm
My fantasy of England is a brisk (yet subsonic ...) chuffle through the glorious countryside on a wonderfully restored Big Single, a stop for afternoon tea and an evening of drinking a pint or two in a pub beside a fire ..... but then I read international news on the Internet and I have indeed adjusted my records! I'm just glad that there is still a cottage industry of clever fabrication and restoration still in the UK ..... It's really nice that when I need a particular"widget" for the Atlas or some such - that there is fellow there who understands JUST what I need and can get it to me in three different forms. Civility goes hand in hand with a keen appreciation for honing the edge that you have, rather than being on the cutting edge ALL the time ..... You know - like Enfield?  ;)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 08:35:56 am
This vision of yours is not so far from the truth Bob - at least in rural England. Certainly down here in the west country you will find perfect old style riding conditions - miles and miles of winding A and B roads, often all but unused as most traffic is on the big through route. What used to be the main trunk road from London to Cornwall is still mostly in place, one lane each way, intact, well patched, and largely forgotten except by locals, cyclists, and old motorbikers. And if you like the curves, any ordinary two-lane will give you your fill. Get out early or late and you'll likely have it all to yourself. Devon also has thousands of miles of ancient narrow lanes, high sided and often sunken, and if you've got a good nose for general direction and nerves of steel (these aint one-way only!) you can get pretty much anywhere without touching a two lane road. It's like driving through a maze in a leafy trench.
The whole tea and a decent pub later thing  -  yep, fear not. Although, alas, pubs are closing at a frightening rate and many that thrive do so by becoming more foody than beery. But - if you know where to look, that pint awaits. I do mean beer - not that fizzy frozen maidens water.....
And here too thrives a low level economy of craftspeople, makers and assorted tinkers, working up quiet lanes in sheds, barns and kitchens - out of the rat race, getting away with it. I know, I'm one of them (wood, not metal).
I see the news from time to time, I know the planet's an asylum without walls. But there's these secret backwaters where the MAN can't get a grip....... ;)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 01:42:04 pm
Looking at pictures from last years ball;  everything looks so fancy!

http://www.mega-ride.co.uk/_PMR_Photo_Album/2009_MRB_Photo_Album/index.html
Run what ya brung

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 03:20:53 pm
Yeah I have to say the ball doesn't appeal much. But the ride's the thing. Hell of a sight & sound  -  thousands of bikes on the road.

mark

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 06:31:34 pm
I was in the mega ride myself !
The G5 was in its element,and performed just like it always has..superb!!

There were  thousands of  bikes taking part.
when I arrived at Plymouth hoe,it was just a sea of bikes,trikes,and scooters.

Harley Davidson has a large dealership across the road from me.
That is why there are so many Harley's about.

Including my V Rod muscle ;)having  a bit of Porsche in it clinched the deal!

Royal Enfield Bullet efi.
rolex explorer,datejust,airking.
omega seamaster,speedmaster,constellation,dynamic.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 09:23:53 pm
It was a hoot wasn't it? I never saw or heard so much gleaming metal (ok - and plastic) thundering along all at once. Spectacular. Glad to hear there was at least one more G5 in the pack - I wonder how many of us there actually were...?

A Harley dealership in Plymouth huh?  That explains the infestation  ;)

.....Actually I like em. Wouldn't mind an older one for a bit of long distance riding.

There's also Bike Night - Paignton seafront wednesdays.  More chrome and leather than you can shake a stick at......

mark

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 01:12:19 am
The actual dealership is langage, Plympton,Plymouth.worth a visit!.

A good Enfield dealership is what is missing in the Plymouth area.
I visited one near Exeter a couple of weeks ago,where they were selling hand made Morgan cars and Enfields.It didn't go together at all.Infact they could not even be bothered to get out of their chairs to talk to me.I expect it would have been different had I wanted to buy a 70 grand Morgan!

Back to the mega ride on the Hoe,GT motorcycles turned up with a lorry load of bikes.
Jap and Brit bikes,to show off to potential buyers.

Where was Royal Enfield?
Well nowhere....reason being whether Torquay or Exeter(Devon)or Bodmin in Cornwall,which is not far from Plymouth can't be bothered for one reason or another or are just not geared up for it!

The amount of people who came up to me on that day (which was alot) did not know Royal Enfield was still going,but loved the bike and wanted to know where they could get one.

Granted most that asked questions were not bikers but thinking of getting back into it after alot of years!
But that is the point..How can you sell something that is hidden out of the way?

It would have have an Ideal opportunity for RE to show off these great machines!

Royal Enfield Bullet efi.
rolex explorer,datejust,airking.
omega seamaster,speedmaster,constellation,dynamic.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 07:55:42 am
I bought my G5 - Electra EFI DL - at that Morgan dealership in Exminster. They're not pushy and tend to let you poke around the bikes without hassling you. You need to ask for Henry, he's their bike bloke. Although I believe I now know more about the bike than they do! They've only this year taken on the R.E. dealership - I guess they see it as fitting in with their ethos of Olde Worlde British motoring.....Morgans, Royal Enfields, Reliants, and Steam Engines! Yes, really.
I know Henry takes the bikes out to various events - Devon Show etc. I'll let him know about the Mega Ride - you're right, there ought to be a R.E. presence. But they've always been good to me, collecting the bike when it had an early warranty issue, and leaving me the demo bike so I could still ride.
I too get a lot of interest in the bike wherever I go on it. As you say, a lot of old bikers longing to get back into it. I'm one who did!
I might have a ride down to Langage  .....  just to have a look .......... ;)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 09:04:51 am by WillW »