Author Topic: Bare NAKED  (Read 3277 times)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
on: June 13, 2010, 01:58:45 pm
Naked truth, anyway...  ::)  (and thanks for tuning in   :-* )

My Musketball cruises the freeway at 60mph just fine. 
I live in the MOUNTAINS.

I need real LIFE EXPERIECE here- not theories;
I assume I would need to add 2 teeth to the rear sprocket?  More?  Fewer?  Where would that put average top speed carrying a passenger with a total combined weight of around 300 poiunds on the side  (close to 500lbs including me)
Would I need to convert to roller bearings in the steering head?
Do I need one of those gizmos that modifies the rake 5 degrees?
Do I need a subframe?

What else? 
Run what ya brung

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 02:10:14 pm
I dropped a tooth on my countershaft sprocket (16t) for my setup.  My research is that you just need the damper and the cozy is designed for Enfields so a subframe is not needed. When riding 2 up I can't even notice the load of the second passenger with the new gearing.  The bike pulls like a mule but tops out at about 60mph.  I think it will pull 50 55 easy with the cozy since the car only weighs 180lbs.

Of course my car has not arrived yet,  so, by saving a $1000 on it I have to wait a few extra months if it arrives at all..  Should have bought from CMW....    :-\
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 03:54:05 pm
I'm confused- do you have a sidecar now?   And what is adjusting the chain like with a sidecar?

I'm pretty sure I have an 18 tooth front sprocket... I like the idea of adding to the rear sprocket so the chain won't distort on a smaller sprocket?  Am I just superstitious?
Run what ya brung

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 04:11:38 pm
I'm confused- do you have a sidecar now?   And what is adjusting the chain like with a sidecar?

I'm pretty sure I have an 18 tooth front sprocket... I like the idea of adding to the rear sprocket so the chain won't distort on a smaller sprocket?  Am I just superstitious?

The rear sprocket is a fixed number of teeth, which is part of the brake drum. No other "tooth numbers" are available.
CMW makes a conversion kit, where somebody machines the drum to accept some rings with teeth on them, for more teeth on it. They bolt on. This conversion is not cheap. I think the special drum is about $200, and the sprocket rings are around $70 each. If I remember correctly. However, if they didn't have that thing made, there would be NO alternative at all. So, at least they offer something to address the issue.
Bullets have always had the sprocket integral with the brake drum from the factory, as far as i know. Unless they were some sort of special trials conversion.

The typical course of action is to change the front sprocket at the gearbox output.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 08:38:53 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 10:14:10 pm
A 17 tooth sprocket is still quite large, no concerns about your chain there. It is slightly more difficult to adjust the chain with a side car, but still not a big deal. All that front end voodoo will make it steer easier if your willing to part with the money.

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 09:44:04 pm
I've got 3300 miles on my rig, (Bullet Electra X and Cozy Rocket) over 2000 of that with the sidecar, and I don't believe you'll find the steering effort to be a problem just as it is.  I have the steering dampener, and you'll adjust to the effort very quickly and then it's not even noticeable, at least not as something to worry with.

It's a fun rig, I hope you enjoy yours. 

I have the smaller front sprocket but haven't put it on yet, just don't feel like having to pull the primary to do it.  It would help when I'm riding two up, but without it the rig does perform OK, one just has to keep in mind it's not gonna go very fast. Not a big deal.  I also haven't done any mods to the engine, but a "stage 1" with air, jetting and exhaust, plus the smaller countershaft would probably be quite noticeable.
Dave

"The reason most people don't recognize opportunity when it knocks, is because opportunity almost wears work clothes."

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 10:28:34 pm
Believe it or not- that's the first positive review I've had.
My plan would be to atach a Duna.  My big concerns is making it up long hills and would it be freeway capable at least for 3 or 4 miles.  ?
Run what ya brung

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 09:28:20 pm
Believe it or not- that's the first positive review I've had.
My plan would be to atach a Duna.  My big concerns is making it up long hills and would it be freeway capable at least for 3 or 4 miles.  ?

3 or 4 miles, no problem.  If you're riding double, you won't hardly make the 70 mark, (unless you have a tailwind) but you'll be able to hit 50 to 60 with no trouble, and that's well above the minimum, just keep in mind that 55 -60 on some freeways is in the way.  But as far as the machine itself, no worries for short distances.

Long hills do require some downshifting (again, riding double), but it will do the job, just be patient. Now, if you talking 3 - 4 miles on a steep grade on the Interstate where speed might be a problem, that's some work. Again, a stage one and the lower gearing would be a help.

I've found my hack to be a very satisfying machine, and lots of fun.
Dave

"The reason most people don't recognize opportunity when it knocks, is because opportunity almost wears work clothes."

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 03:22:25 am
I realized today that there are long grades where me and the bike can barely maintain 60-65.  If I suddenly remember I need to feed the dog before setting out for work, I don't want to worry about being late because I HAVE to take the scenic route.

Someday, I'll find something to mount a Duna on.  I already have a sidecar- I just want a Duna.
Run what ya brung