Author Topic: Service manual for the G5/C5  (Read 16096 times)

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
on: June 09, 2010, 11:46:49 pm
Is there one?

Sam
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 11:47:26 pm
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 03:37:50 am
I wouldn't waste my money on it. It's pretty bad, especially for the price. IMO

Here is a parts manual for the G5

http://www.star-team.es/downloads/ElectraEFIPartsCatalogueEuropeJan09.pdf

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 04:18:57 pm
http://www.enfield.20m.com/uce1.htm

Doesn't cover everything and says that.  Still, probably a very good book to have around.

Scott

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 06:23:13 pm
The Snidel one is half the price as the factory and looks to have about the same info. in it.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 06:40:38 pm
I just ordered Snidals manual, thanks for the link.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 07:52:45 pm
Chris, does the factory manual have details on tune up and specifically on anything that needs to be done to adjust the fuel injection?  I looked through the index on Pete's manual and didn't see anything there.  I'm curious about that stuff as my Ducati takes some special tools and knowledge to set up.

Sam, I forgot to mention that Pete's pre-UCE manual is highly regarded both for the routine stuff and the tips and tricks needed to keep the older models running in top shape.  His UCE version has been long awaited.

Scott

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 12:30:08 am
Chris, does the factory manual have details on tune up and specifically on anything that needs to be done to adjust the fuel injection? 

Scott

No, not that I can find. Here is the index for the factory "Service Manual"

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 04:42:14 am
Looks like there might be something about what I want to know in section 4 (Inlet manifold & Throttle body), section 6 (Identification of malfunction in EMS), section 9 (TPS unit), and section10 (Special tools).  Thanks very much for posting that, very informative.  Where did you get your factory manual and how much did it cost?

Scott

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 09:02:23 am
Looks like there might be something about what I want to know in section 4 (Inlet manifold & Throttle body), section 6 (Identification of malfunction in EMS), section 9 (TPS unit), and section10 (Special tools).  Thanks very much for posting that, very informative.  Where did you get your factory manual and how much did it cost?

Scott
CMW part #597451 $70 maybe $80, can't find invoice.

Here are the sections you mentioned, TPS is not listed in section 6 checking the electrical components even though it says it is in the index., see TPS absent pic.
Section 10 is just troubleshooting. "Special Tools" along with "Caution", and "Notes" are footnotes found at the end of some procedures.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 06:09:17 pm
Do you have a specific question about the injection system? It is so simple that we can probably answer it right here. There is a description and some specifications of pages 06-6 and 06-7 in the factory manual. There is no maintenance to be done to the TPS. It is set at a certain angle at the factory and that is where it stays. It is essentially a potentiometer and it controls the amount of air flowing into the engine in response to throttle opening. It can be adjusted by using the screw that looks like and idle adjuster. DON'T touch it. How your engine runs is determined by the interplay between the computer, this sensor and all of the other senors. Adjusting it incorrectly  will lead to nothing good.
  It can be adjusted by using a plug in diagnostic box or with a voltmeter, It it goes bad you will get an indication from the Engine Malfunction light. You can then follow the procedure in the book to diagnose which part of the system is malfunctioning. The most common reason for a light to come in is a loose connection.
  I would also like to remind everyone that Petes books as well as the factory manuals are all available at www.nfiendgear.com or from your dealer.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 07:11:33 pm
I think you just answered most of my questions, or at least got me on the right track.  I know how to adjust TPS with a voltmeter.  Earlier Ducatis have this setup, newer ones require a computer hookup.  So you don't need to check/reset it on the RE as part of a regular tune up?  I'm used to this being something that's very important to have the bike run just right so it gets reset as part of every regular service.

I'm basically concerned with what needs to be done at regular services on the new UCE, especially regarding the fuel injection system.  I like doing all my own work for many reasons, one of which is I don't want to pay someone hundreds of dollars for what I can do myself for free in an hour with the right tools.  Regular service on aDucati can $500-1000 dollars.  I do mine for the cost of parts and a Saturday afternoon.  Also, I'm just one of those people who has to know how things work and I'm rarely willing to "leave it to the experts".  I like being independent.

Mostly I'm curious about idle speed, TPS reset, MAP sensor, things like that.  It looks like the fuel injection system is fairly simple on the RE.  Just wondering mostly do I need special tools to do my own services and if I need or want a computer hookup, what is available?

Thanks,
Scott
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 07:24:32 pm by Ducati Scotty »

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 08:26:45 pm
You do not need ANY special tools to  diagnose or service the EFI system. It has a self diagnostic mode built in for owners just like you. If you can't stand it and want a computer the module is $2,500. They are NOT going like hotcakes. A volt/ohm meter and a fuel pressure gauge are about all you would ever need. The idle speed is set by the "brain". There is not regular service required for this system other than to replace the spark plug one in a while.

Our cost of ownership is very low and the maintenance required on the UCE engines is very minimal.

Remember your Duck is a high performance multi-cylinder engineering marvel. Such engines require careful feeding and maintenance. We are the polar opposite with very low emission numbers and low maintenance. LOL
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 09:19:44 pm
Thanks Kevin.  I wasn't sure if it set the idle speed itself.  Some EFIs do, some don't.  When they set their own idle and have an O2 sensor there's generally not much anyone needs to do.

I really love my Duc, best motorcycle I've ever owned and the one I love riding the most.  I just feel it's time to try something new.  I have to say, I am a little disappointed that the UCE has hydraulic lifters.  British singles should tick when running.  Otherwise how do you know it's working right?  :P  Also adjusting valves is one of the first real mechanical skills I learned.  After spending a few years adjusting the Ducati Desmodromic system I was looking forward to something that took a screwderiver, wrench, and 5 minutes to set right.  Plus anything that reminds me of my air cooled VW days is always good.  Guess I'll have to use that extra time for tightening spokes or something.

I have no plans to buy a $2500 computer for the bike, thanks.  Isn't that about half of MSRP?  If it was a few hundred I would but that's more than I want to spend and it seems it's really unnecessary with what's already built into the bike.

So now I just need the economy to turn around so my wife can get a job again and we'll have money for a new bike.  Of course the longer I wait the less the Ducati is worth and the less reason there is to trade it in or sell it.  By next year I'll just be adding a new bike to the garage instead of trading the one I have :)

Thanks very much to all for the answers and sorry for the thread jack.

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 09:36:25 pm
""I am a little disappointed that the UCE has hydraulic lifters.  British singles should tick when running.  Otherwise how do you know it's working right? ""

Don't worry  -  it ticks regardless........    ;)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 09:40:29 pm by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)