Author Topic: 2 easy fixes  (Read 2598 times)

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
on: June 08, 2010, 10:29:06 pm
For my G-5 Military:

1. To activate the headlight on/off switch above the starter switch, pull the headlight, remove the jumper, reattach, switch works.
2. To deactivate the sidestand lockout, unbolt the switch, rotate so the contact faces forward, bolt it back up, zip-tie the lead out of the way of the return spring.
   Both are 5 minute jobs and makes the bike more user friendly.

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 11:45:56 pm
As for the side stand switch.  It is easily removable.  follow the leads back, just below the battery you should find a disconnect for it.  Disconnect, cap the end of leads that are left over, put sidestand switch in box and forget it.

Good looking out on the headlight switch, usefull for when you battery may be low and you need all the juice you can get for starting.  Or use the kicker unless you have a C5.

Sam
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 02:50:38 am
I would like to say side stand switches are good things.  Side stands have led to injury and death more then once. When you disconnect it don't ignore this fact.

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 03:42:32 am
My side-stand switch will sometimes allow my G5 to start and sometimes won't. Right now it is allowing the bike to start, and when I put up the side-stand there is a split second when the bike cuts out but not enough to make it die.
So side-stand switches are good things, if they work all the time!  :D

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 09:26:49 pm
I did intend to disconnect the sidestand switch as I never use the sidestand anyway. As it happens I've not got round to it but surely will do. My dealer used the sidestand once (bike was there maybe 6 hours) and it took three days for the oil to reach maximum level in the sight glass again. I presume it was soaked in the clutch plates or something? Whatever, that alone would put me off using the sidestand.