Author Topic: After More Than A Month Of Waiting For A Harness Enfield Sends The Wrong One!  (Read 5377 times)

BornFromJets

• Scooter
Got some bad news this a.m., after more than a month at the dealer, Enfield SENT THE WRONG PART!!! Can a company be this inept? I guess they're just eating up warranty time eh... they have a new VP of Sales who recently gave dealers a pep talk on how the dealers need to be dedicated to the brand and to buy more bikes and stuff... pure silliness when, not only can't you get new parts, you can't get the correct parts. %#&@! My dealer is irate, as I am and no apology from Enfield ... nuthin but finger pointing.%#&@!

« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 04:51:06 pm by BornFromJets »

trees

• Scooter
Brother,

Welcome to my world a couple months ago. Brought bike into dealer, dealer said we need a new harness. Wait a good month or so. RE sent a used one. My dealer was pissed and asked them for a new one. Two months later, nothing. No confirmation from RE if they shipped the part or not. Complete mess. Dealer ended up going in and patching the original harness, as we didn't have much of an option. Crapy part is, it dented the wallet almost triple of what would have cost with a new one. Cost about as much as my bike.
Very frustrating. I am thankful for my dealer fixing the problem and being honest during the three months it was sitting there BUT %$&& was it frustrating. Learned a thing or two about patience and the dark side of parts.

Hang in there!

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
I recommend calling CMW.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

BornFromJets

• Scooter
Didn't want to get between the dealer and distributor and throw more on the... but the finger pointing was unnecessary... I'm just the customer down here that paid his cash... they seem forget there is an individual person at the bottom end. Yes I will call... I don't believe I'm unreasonable in wanting my bike fixed in a timely way IMHO

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
So far (and enjoy it while it lasts), CMW seems to WANT you to call if you've tried the dealer and still have frustrations.  I think they are well aware of the reputation of the past and are trying hard to re-write that script. 

OTOH, the T-shirt still says, "Makes an ordinary man into a mechanic".
Run what ya brung

GBBullet

• Scooter
maybe the shirts should read"Lack of parts makes a mechanic into and ordinary man"
2007 HD Softtail Custom
2008 RE Bullet 500 Deluxe (Iron Barrel)

BornFromJets

• Scooter
I did call, could only get as far as the parts mgr it seemed, gave me a little bit of finger pointing back at the dealer bs and wrangled around with the possiblity of some "confusion" on the order/delay and re-order. He did apologize for the delay but no ownership was taken in that deft dance. So here I sit, sans bike, sans Enfield cred; can only rely on my dealer who is doing all he can FOR me.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
I am going to weigh in on this. First of all the dealer has no role in any negatively here. He has done all he can do for you. I have been personally involved in this problem myself as have all of the parts people and Scooter Bob. Bottom line is that we have no part number for that harness. We have tried several harnesses that are supposed to fit and air freighted them at our expense to try to help you out in a timely fashion. In his interactions with us your dealer has been very professional and has been your advocate in every way,.

At the end of the day we just don't have it and we don't' know what it is supposed to be. What is supposed to fit doesn't. There are not a lot of bikes like yours (half Bullet half AVL) and it must have a harness that is not listed anywhere nor was ever made available to us. That however doesn't solve your problem. What we told your dealer today who has really followed up on this on your behalf is that he is to repair your harness to get you back on the bike. That will be a perfectly safe and good fix, however in the meantime we have been in touch with the factory to try and track down what this harness is and to have them air freight one to us at our expense. When we get one we will then have your dealer install it. Our other option is to let your bike sit longer in his dealership which serves you rather poorly. We could have had him just repair it which would be fine under the terms of the warranty, but we want to do better for you and we will.

We understand your frustration and share it as it is not often that we get stumped by something like this, but it does happen. The good news is that the factory is very responsive to things like this. It may take some additional time to get one that will fit your bike, but get one we will. I think if you check around the forum with those that have dealt with us you will find that we will follow this up and find a way to ultimately resolve it to your satisfaction.

Scooter Bob spoke to you this AM and says he apologized profusely. Apparently his words didn't sound like an apology which we also apologize for.
There is nothing more we can do.. We will get your bike back on the road and we would be happy to extend your warranty for the length of time it has been out of service. The idea that we would be "eating up warranty" time is a bit hurtful but I guess that comes with the territory.

The Terms of Service for this board state that this is not the place to complain about a dealer or us. The best idea is to do what you did and call us and your dealer as we are the people who can actually help you. Feel free to call us anytime to check on our progress.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 10:46:46 pm by Kevin Mahoney »
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
What does "half Bullet half AVL" mean? 
Run what ya brung

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
I came in a little late on this one.  Was this the one where the wire was broken or shorting where the harness rubs on the steering head?  If so, it is a fairly simple procedure to unwrap the wiring harness, find the problem wire, solder it together, wrap some electrical tape around the site and everyone is happy.  Why change the entire harness?

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
It is the Classic regular Bullet body and frame with the AVL engine. Really great bike but only sold for a while before the transition to the UCE.

You are correct that a simple repair is good, but the customer but I am told that the customer wasn't in favor of that and wanted a new harness.. I totally understand his point and that is what we are trying to do. We will do it, but we need some factory help on this one.

I hate to talk about our customer in the third person since he is posting here but I have to confess I don't know his name. I have written to him privately as well and hope that we will be able to get him on the road and satisfied soon. He has a legitimate gripe..
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Jinx

• Here we go again!
  • Grease Monkey
Ahh. The half and half bikes. Half one year and half the next or half of the older style and half of a newer model. I've got a HD like that. Pure aggravation for getting the right part and the manuals are usually a little wrong. Wiring and parts diagrams are usually only half right. I truly feel the pain for you. Been there with that headach. On the positive side they are truly different and more rare and unique. They sometimes wind up as the best of both models/years.
 I hope everyone walks or rides away happy on this problem. ;D
What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

2 ways to get to the top of a tree. Sit on an acorn or start climbing!

2008 RE Classic Deluxe
1990 HD FXST-C
1970 HD XLCH
1942 HD WLA
& probably enough parts lying around to make another bike. LOL!

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Ahh. The half and half bikes. Half one year and half the next or half of the older style and half of a newer model. I've got a HD like that. Pure aggravation for getting the right part and the manuals are usually a little wrong. Wiring and parts diagrams are usually only half right. I truly feel the pain for you. Been there with that headach. On the positive side they are truly different and more rare and unique. They sometimes wind up as the best of both models/years.
 I hope everyone walks or rides away happy on this problem. ;D

I am a HUGE fan of the AVL powered Classic bikes. It's truly the BEST of everything that Enfield had in the classic style. The Bullet chassis is quintessentially British - and the AVL engine is anything BUT fragile - like the Iron Barrels tended to be. RE was slated to make these bikes until 2012 - but the actual production of the UCE bikes got off the ground earlier than planned (on time? Hahaha!) and the demand was instantly overwhelming - so they did what they had to do. I am betting that the ALV engined Classics will become collector pieces due to their rarity. I'm a little bummed that I missed a new one - but I do have a Final Edition IB bike, a Peacock Blue one and an AVL bike as nice examples ..... I guess I can't have 'em ALL .... but I would if I COULD!

I'm sure everyone will ride off into the sunset happy with the deal. The dealer is a very competent fellow and I have all the faith in his ability to repair the harness to work. I also know that the Factory will come through with a new one for us - and the owner will be assured that he has the repair that he wants on the bike. And now - with research done - we'll have the proper parts number for the apparently rare wiring harness for the bike! Live and learn .....  ;)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

BornFromJets

• Scooter
FIRST: I am apologizing to Mr. Mahoney concerning my stupid childish sarcasm concerning the warranty.

SECOND: Mr. Mahoney, if you are behind this fix 100%, as you seem to be, I'm with you thru thick and thin till it gets fixed. This bike is a keeper for me.

THIRD: Let me straighten out the decision making process on replacing the harness as  a whole. This bike had broken down 3 times for electrical issues and towed. It was showing various electrical problems all over the bike. A manual wire by wire fix could not guarantee that I wouldn't get 10 miles down the road and fail. I trust my dealers advice and expertise, he has been honest and forthright with me. The type of dealer I wouln't hesitate to buy another bike from. He is not a hippie bike shop that sells Italian  scooters and latte's but hardcore bike guys that have been in it for years.

FINALLY: I will sit quietly and wait and trust that all will be resolved soon. Thank you Mr. Mahoney.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 02:53:24 pm by BornFromJets »

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
This is just one of the many reasons that I ended up a Enfield fanatic for life.
Not that I haven't had my fair share of problems over the years but how many times have you seen the CEO of Honda or HD take any responsibility for anything in public? Much less apologize for something he doesn't have any control over?

BornFromJets,
Not that this helps you at all right now but you'll be surprised how fast this will fade from memory when it's all said and done.
I've notice that an hour in the saddle makes a world of sin disappear. I hope it works for you too.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"