Author Topic: "Swiss" wiring harness.  (Read 1937 times)

SBKH

• Neophyte
on: June 07, 2010, 11:21:53 pm
I have a friend that brought me their 1990 Bullet.  It looks like an army bike if that helps identify the bike any better.  She wants me to install a wiring harness that she got. It is made by SWISS, part no. 0202m is printed on the casing.

It looks like a quality harness, the problem I have is all the wires are there, but none of the colors are right and most of the multi pin plugs are wrong.  I have no problem replacing the connectors with equal or better quality parts to be correct but... I don't know what any of them are actually supposed to go to.  She also brought me a Factory service manual with very nice wiring diagrams.  But non of the colors are right so again I don't know where the new stuff is supposed to go. 

If anyone has had experience with these harnesses or even better yet has a Swiss wiring diagram that they could post it would be AMAZINGLY helpfull!  Thanks!

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
  • And on the eighth day, God said...."Let's Ride."
Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 11:35:22 pm
no legitimate advice. i'm going to take the diagram, a meter and rewire the entire beast with at least 12 ga wires. probably make my own diagram
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 12:13:19 am
I agree,  best to do it from scratch at this point, not that many wires on  pre-Estart machine to begin with so should not be that tough.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
  • And on the eighth day, God said...."Let's Ride."
Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 01:02:10 am
probly pick up good connectors at fastenal or barnes.
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic

Jinx

• Here we go again!
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 03:30:25 pm
 Hmmm. I googled the h*ll out of it. Nada. If you want to use this harness you probably will spend a day or so with it layed out tagging/tracing each wire. Since the colors and terminals are wrong it might not be for this bike. It'll tick you off if you just try to throw it on there and find out you need to run extra wires or there are jumpers in the harness. The electrical gods have never been kind and merciful.
 The original harness toast? You could remove it from the bike, peal it and repair/replace any bad wires. Then rewrap it. A much easier route. 4 months of fighting with electrical gremlins on my wifes bike till I got smart and just pulled the whole harness. Found a few shorts,crappy crimp splices,bare wires etc. Repaired it with new soldered terminals and wires  and now zero problems. (with the electrical that is ;))
What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

2 ways to get to the top of a tree. Sit on an acorn or start climbing!

2008 RE Classic Deluxe
1990 HD FXST-C
1970 HD XLCH
1942 HD WLA
& probably enough parts lying around to make another bike. LOL!

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 07:24:03 pm
Has "She" brought you any brownies, cookies,etc? They are an absolute must while doing this kind of work.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.