Author Topic: DIY TwinSpark on a UCE?  (Read 1820 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
on: June 19, 2010, 06:23:32 pm
So I was reading a page the other day (which I can't find now!) about someone who had converted a single plug engine into a dual plug engine.  He had machined out the decompressor on the non-spark plug side of the engine and added a second spark plug, cobbled up a dual ignition, and used a modified decompressor that actuated the exhaust valve.  He noted at the time that he had built his own dual ignition system but now there were lots of dual spark plug coils available so it would be even easier.

So I was looking at the UCE engine at the dealer yesterday with this in mind.  You know what's on the other side of the cylinder head from the spark plug?  Nothing!  To me it looks like nothing more than a blank spot waiting to be drilled and tapped.

Could it be that simple?  Just drill and tap, put in a second plug, and add a dual coil?  There are a few bikes that have dual spark plugs these days for more power and a cleaner burn.  Ducati for sure and I think also Harley or Buell.

Thoughts?

Scott

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 08:00:00 pm
Numerous people have done it on the Iron Barrel models.
I've done it on one customer's Mondello head for the Iron Barrel.

Effects are minimal, if any.
Most of the reported results seem to say there is a slight improvement in idling stability, and nothing else that they can really define as an improvement.
It's an interesting thought, but the old bikes don't really respond too well to it.

Maybe the newer bikes might.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 08:08:17 pm
I was hoping you'd chime in Ace.  I thought you might get a little more power out of it, not much.  Maybe it would only be realized if you also do a more free flowing intake and exhaust.

Scott