Author Topic: Newbie checking in....  (Read 12046 times)

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
on: July 16, 2007, 01:37:42 pm
Hi guys. I am a newbie to this forum and just thought I would post a little introduction. I have a 2000 model RE500 classic, black with gold stripes. It has a gold star muffler, k&n filter, jetting changes, cut down seat, bar end mirrors and a few more minor modifications. Plans are in the works to build a 30 hp monster with bigger cam, carb, more compression, and head work. I bought my bike new in 2001 and have been enjoying it ever since. It is not unusual for us to do 300 mile days together. Went to Natural Bridge, Ky yesterday and the bike performed flawlessly running 60-65 mph all day long. It was a hoot blasting along those mountain roads with my buddy in hot pursuit on his 750 Triumph (he couldnt catch me). We both left the big Harleys far, far behind! I have found the only draw back to RE ownership is that everyone always wants to talk to you about the bike. It is sometimes hard to get away from gas stops with all the attention. The old-timers, in particular, really seem to like the bike. I never tire of listening to the stories of the "old days", those guys were really hard core with the bad roads, no rain-gear, and few gas stops. I will try and post a few pics as soon as I get a new camera and get my darned computer fixed. Here's hoping that everyone has a thumpin' good day, Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

Admin

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 02:39:03 pm
Welcome to the forums Dew!

Brother Rhett

• Bulleteer
  • I chase shiny objects across the internet.
Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 02:49:00 pm
Dew,

That's an awesome Enfield testimonial. I'd sure love to see a picture of your bike, especially when the "monster" is complete.

Welcome to the forums and thanks for sharing!
What wouldn't you not do if you didn't know you wouldn't fail?

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 05:01:47 pm
I have found the only draw back to RE ownership is that everyone always wants to talk to you about the bike. It is sometimes hard to get away from gas stops with all the attention. The old-timers, in particular, really seem to like the bike. I never tire of listening to the stories of the "old days", those guys were really hard core with the bad roads, no rain-gear, and few gas stops.

That's called BDF - Bullet Delay Factor. One of the perqs of Bullet ownership  :)

Matt

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 07:50:48 pm
"That's called BDF - Bullet Delay Factor. One of the perqs of Bullet ownership"

Thats why the military is nice. Open the pannier, hand em one of CMW's brochures and your off.
Some of the "real" bikers are a little harder to get away from.
" Hey Bro, is that a Triumph" 
No it's a Royal Enfield (looking at the tank to see if the logo fell off).
"Yea, but thats like a Triumph right?" 
Yup, thats what it is.
"Nice restoration dude" 
Thanks.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 01:06:51 am
'nother newbie, checking in.  I have a '99 Bullet, that is my favorite 2 wheeler, I also have a Harley Sportster, and a Ural 2wd Tourist, which is my favorite 3 wheeler (as it can happily go offroad)

I live in northern Indiana, and ride whenever I get the chance. I have been riding for about 40 years.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Brother Rhett

• Bulleteer
  • I chase shiny objects across the internet.
Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 04:35:30 am
Welcome to the forum, Indiana!

They were just talking in this thread about how many Enfield riders also own a Ural.
What wouldn't you not do if you didn't know you wouldn't fail?

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 05:37:40 am
I bought both the Enfield and the Ural from the same dealer - Raceway Services in Salem, Oregon, when I was living in Port Townsend area, WA.  I saw the Ural at the Washington Bike Show, in Seattle, met Jim the owner of Raceway, went to get a Gear Up, he hadn't got one in stock, so I chose a Black Tourist, and converted it to 2wd - at that time he had a used '99 Bullet in, and I couldn't leave it alone.  I had an 'oily' many years ago (sometime in the 60s.) and loved the thing. The '99 is very similar.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

tex

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 10:30:17 pm
Hey Dew,
I'm a newbie,too. I'm having all kinds of fun learning how the new forum works
and reading about eveyone's ideas and their bikes. Sounds like you have a righteous
ride. I have a 2000 Deluxe with the Goldstar exhaust, K&N filter, and re-jetted carb.
I put a lycette style solo seat on mine for that vintage look, and made a birdsplitter for the front fender. There are a couple of pictures of it in "Members Rides" Would love to see a picture of yours. There is a motorcycle resort/hangout near me, 29 Dreams, and when
I ride out there all the Harley and cruiser riders come over and want to know where I
found the antique bike. Bullets have a class all their own
Ride Safe, Tex

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 06:30:04 pm
Hey Dew,
I'm a newbie,too. I'm having all kinds of fun learning how the new forum works
and reading about eveyone's ideas and their bikes. Sounds like you have a righteous
ride. I have a 2000 Deluxe with the Goldstar exhaust, K&N filter, and re-jetted carb.
I put a lycette style solo seat on mine for that vintage look, and made a birdsplitter for the front fender. There are a couple of pictures of it in "Members Rides" Would love to see a picture of yours. There is a motorcycle resort/hangout near me, 29 Dreams, and when
I ride out there all the Harley and cruiser riders come over and want to know where I
found the antique bike. Bullets have a class all their own
Ride Safe, Tex
Hi there Tex, it sounds like your bike is set up similar to mine. I am getting 100 mpg at 55-60 mph. How about you? Am using 30 primary and 130 main jets. Top speed went up to about 95 mph indicated with my mods. Glad to hear that you are enjoying all the attention your bike draws. I had a guy argue with me that my bike was a restoration and not a 2000 model. He looked at the engine case where gas had leaked from the carb (now fixed) and said you cant get patina like that on such a new bike!!! Happy thumpin', Dew.

tex

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 10:34:55 pm
Hi Dew,

Wish I could claim that kind of speed and mileage with mine. I am a little better than stock on MPG and top end, but not like the results you have gotten. I am running a stock pilot jet and a .115 or .120 main jet. I gained a little over 5MPH on the top end, but the results I like is the low and mid range torque improvement. Most of my riding is around town, with
ocassional trips out on the back two lane backtops. The machine and I are both happiest
at 50-55 MPH. When I bought mine I had test ridden a black deluxe and was going to
buy it, but it was sold so I ended up with the red one. A lot of folks think it is an old
bike that has been restored. I was inside a convenience store the other day and a 20
something year old yong lady asked me if it was an old BSA. I explained what it was but I was impressed that a girl of her age would even know about the old British bikes. You
can always count on our bikes to be conversation starters.

Later, Tex

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 09:14:36 pm
You might try upping those jets another size or two. Might help on top end. Yeah, our bikes are chick magnets. Its just one of those things one has to live with.....Dew.

alwscout

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 02:04:03 am
Yeah, our bikes are chick magnets. Its just one of those things one has to live with.....Dew.

That quote should be on the official Royal Enfield website somewhere!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Adam
REA Member #10

Corki

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 08:10:01 pm
Still another Newby. I just purchased a 2003 RE Bullet. I have ridden for 45 years, just retiring from my Suzuki Bandit 1200S go fast machine. I want to slow down a bit and enjoy the scenery. I live in the South Bay area of Northern CA. We have lots of freeways (superslabs), and lots of twisties as well. I have been a long distance rider on my 1993 BMW K1100LT, am wondering how the Bullet does for distance and speed? I have noticed a few upgrading or at least changing to a larger counter. When I get a chance I'll out in some pics of my new steed.
The Price of Freedom is written on the WALL
1993 BMW K1100LT
2003 RE Bullet

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 08:18:34 pm
Still another Newby. I just purchased a 2003 RE Bullet. I have ridden for 45 years, just retiring from my Suzuki Bandit 1200S go fast machine. I want to slow down a bit and enjoy the scenery. I live in the South Bay area of Northern CA. We have lots of freeways (superslabs), and lots of twisties as well. I have been a long distance rider on my 1993 BMW K1100LT, am wondering how the Bullet does for distance and speed? I have noticed a few upgrading or at least changing to a larger counter. When I get a chance I'll out in some pics of my new steed.

Welcome Corki!

Having the 1200S and K1100LT in the same context as the Bullet just ain't right....

With your experience, I'm sure we won;t tell you anything that you don't already know or at least suspect!

Content yourself with relaxed rides at 55 and lean, Lean, LEAN! They may not be fast, but they sure are fun.  ;D

You're probably already becoming reacquainted with all that routine maintenance which was unnecessary or that you were able to ignore on your Bandit. Zen and the Art....

Looking forward to the pix.

Matt