Author Topic: Starter Issues?...  (Read 7465 times)

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: June 12, 2010, 12:50:35 pm
Just spent half an hour fitting the newly supplied starter relay/solenoid, YIPEE I thought as I lent over the bike to start it up,--and then GROAN. Still the same "chattering from this new relay/solenoid. So spent couple of hours searching out all those connectors etc to see if any had come adrift. Not a thing. So its back to the drawing board, with this problem for me.
I have checked with a volt meter as far as I am able (not electrically orientated), for circuits. What I do find strange is that I have a circuit across the 2 connectors on the starter relay, just with the ignition on. I would have thought  I would only have a circuit when the starter switch is depressed.
Any ideas any one,. Would be pleased to hear of any suggestions.Thanks.

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: June 12, 2010, 02:19:37 pm
I have checked with a volt meter as far as I am able (not electrically orientated), for circuits. What I do find strange is that I have a circuit across the 2 connectors on the starter relay, just with the ignition on. I would have thought  I would only have a circuit when the starter switch is depressed.
Any ideas any one,. Would be pleased to hear of any suggestions.Thanks.

Checked using volts? You will read voltage across an open switch and when the switch closes you will no longer read voltage, at least in AC not sure on DC. I'm no electrical expert either  ;D  When the switch is open one meter lead is on the incoming hot and the other is on the neutral on AC and ground on DC that is coming through the load. When the switch closes both leads are on the hot so no voltage is read.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 02:24:56 pm by Chris-G5 »

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: June 13, 2010, 03:41:10 pm
Thanks for your responce,Chris-G5, not sure what all this means but I may have got the "jist" of it!
M

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: June 13, 2010, 11:26:42 pm
Thanks for your responce,Chris-G5, not sure what all this means but I may have got the "jist" of it!
M

Those two connectors on the solenoid are a switch. They are normally open (no circuit between them). You read voltage across them when they are open because your reading the hot from the battery and the ground coming through the starter (load). If you put your meter on the connectors and press the start button and watch the meter, the voltage will go from 12 +/- volts to 0 volts while the button is pressed. This is because when the switch is closed the hot from the battery is passed to the starter, so both meter leads (on each connector) are on the hot which will not give any voltage.

This is one way you check if any switch is good. When the switch is open (off) you should read voltage across the switch. When the switch is closed (on), no voltage should be read. The load also has to have a complete circuit for this to work.

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 05:29:44 pm
Thanks Chris-G5, got it,--(are you a phisics teacher for the "thick").
Regards

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: June 18, 2010, 03:54:03 pm
Have just proved to myself (after a suggestion from my lovely dealer) that I have  had a duff battery along. Having tried various things, I connected my battery to my car battery, and hey presto it turned the engine over.
I did earlier connect a meter across the terminals and it showed 12.5 volts, but it obviously (now) not sufficient amps. ( not bad for a battery of 14 mths old)