Author Topic: *New Owner* Owners manual (NOT service manual) & other quetion  (Read 3004 times)

AHS

• Scooter
Hello, new owner here.  I'm stationed in Germany and just took delivery of the equivalent to the US G5 (Electra EFI here) and I was wondering if anyone had an electronic copy of the owners manual as mine came with a German one that looks a bit homemade and doesn't make a lot of sense regardless of language.  I'm not referring to a service/shop manual; but the owners.  I'm kind of winging it without one and along with other things am trying to figure out where to set my rear springs (I'm 270 lbs dry).

Question- Am I expecting too much?  My buddy has a 2008 classic so I knew going in that REs are not real refined and the QC spotty but I have found a number of things wrong (gauge, tail light assy & tank misaligned, bluing of the pipe near the cat, airbox cover taking flight, a tool box grommet and passenger foot peg bolt circlip not installed, 4th gear occasionally dropping into neutral, intermittent neutral light...etc).  I just dropped it off this morning to my dealer for the 500Km servicing .  He's working with me to fix all of this and didn't look too surprised with all of the QC issues.  My other bike is an F800GS and I'm wondering if I'm just expecting too much or if I got a Friday bike.  Good news, is the engine sounds very strong...so far  ;D
'10 BRG Electra (G5)
'10 BMW F800GS
'96 Honda NTV650

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
   You might be able to get a manual from the store here.  Unless someone wants to run you off a copy of theirs, which is entirely possible. 

As far as repair issues if you bought the machine from a reputable dealer (I take it you didn't get it through the on base sales AAFES method) you really shouldn't have to many issues after initial service and repairs, as meticulous as Germans are on maintenance. 

I have a '07 iron and my wife has an '06 Electra..both purchased new.  They both have had little problems.  But with a little TLC and warranty work are now fine (as you can get for a Brit survivor).

Welcome and enjoy. 
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Hi, and welcome. I did a very quick search but couldn't find an online version of the owners handbook. Perhaps get in touch with Watsonian Squire and see if they'll send you one?
Regarding the list of niggles  -  well, yes.....  I know what you mean. But the fuel tank is offset I'm told because it wouldn't fit straight on with the new fuel pump etc in the way. Mine's the same and I've added it to the list of endearing charms of the bike.... That tool box grommet is prone to get pushed through and out back when you replace the cover, so when you replace it, put your hand behind to hold it in place. My pipe started to discolour rear of the heatshield after around 1500 miles. Heatshield flew off last week and hasn't been seen since. Check all nuts and bolts for tightness regularly, particularly after a good thrash! I found the gearbox takes a bit of practice, but I came to the bike after a forty year break from two wheels. Mostly positive and smooth gearshifts now.
The other stuff you mention does sound unlucky. At least there's a long warranty. Don't forget, these bikes are made by hand using only stone tools and glue. But they do ride lovely.   ;)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 04:29:35 pm by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
AHS:

Welcome aboard to the world of RE, the motorcycle that is known to 'turn a rider into a mechanic  ;D.  The bad news you said is your "Owner's Manual" is in German that does not make much sense.  The English version (that I have) does not make much sense either  :) !  There is not much information in it either.

Here is the good news - There is NOTHING that you will be missing out if you don't have one.  Any information you want or need is in this FORUM under UCE, in more detail posted by numerous rider's experiences on UCE motorcycles including G5, C5, (Electra and Classic) spanning US, Europe and Asia.  Do a search on the topic of your interest and you will find something already posted by someone.  

As far as setting your rear springs are concerned - the owner's manual states that Maximum Pay Load is 178 kg (392 lb).  Here is a post on how to adjust rear shocks.  

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,3594.0.html

singhg5
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 04:35:15 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

AHS

• Scooter
Thanks for the advice, welcomes and sanity check!  I was instantly attached to this bike and will be more than happy to go through the growing pains and enjoy it's charms and quirkiness, just wanted to make sure I wasn't the newest resident of Lemonville  ;D

Looking forward to chatting with you guys...cheers!
'10 BRG Electra (G5)
'10 BMW F800GS
'96 Honda NTV650

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Hello AHS and welcome aboard.
Congrats on you Bullet too.  :D

No matter where you go, there, you are.