Author Topic: Modifying the UCE. Oil catch can and performance.  (Read 6013 times)

KhardungLa

• Scooter
Howdy folks,

I rode 400 miles during the weekend, with pillion and panniers, including across the highest mountain passes in England in Cumbria. Lots of twisties and hill climbs, mountain passes and lake side  roads - just what this little thumper is built for. We did Hartside pass near Alston, Hardknott pass, Wynrose Pass, Kirkstone pass all in Cumbria

You may have guessed from my profile name that I have ridden Enfields in India - (Delhi - Amritsar (Punjab) - Kashmir - Jammu - Leh - Himachal Pradesh) and it was here that I discovered the Indian Enfields and there love of technical roads. I rode 350 & 500 Bullets and a 350 lean burn twin spark Thunderbird with a longer rake (which handled brilliantly)

Riding the older bullets with less torque, in the Indian environment, wasn't a problem as the bike is well pitched against the conditions found over there (Granted the bike was starved of air above 17,000 feet struggling uphill).

The new UCE bike is an excellent improvement, but I think I'd still like even more power and perhaps improve the handling.

I realise the engine hasn't been around that long, and there seems to be little in way of upgrades or modifications.

The first thing I was considering was a seperate oil catch can - I've noticed a lot of oil is being pushed out of the PCV valve into the air box - in fact so much pressure from the engine is being diverted there it's putting strain on the lock catch for the airbox cover. I'd rather collect this in a separate container and empty it at home into a old oil container as the air filter will get clogged. Also this will keep the plug cleaner. And I think I will drill a vent into the airbox and place wire mesh internally over the drilled holes.

I'm considering having the suspension fettled front and rear... does anyone know of any kits?

There isn't a K&N listed for the bike. Any ideas on this?

I want to change the front sprocket so I'm not so high in the rev range when at full chat along a straight. should I go for a 19 tooth?

and what about the rear sprocket? could I do anything with this?

I'm interested in any performance modifications to the engine. Cam, Piston, Crank.... anything.

I'm running the accessory sports exhaust - I have considered taking this off and running with a slash cut pipe but was concerned about back pressure being too low... any advice or opinions?

I'm into endurance trials and timed hill climbing - and this is my new baby - I push this bike pretty hard (and give it cool down periods) so will be looking out for any tech ideas to replace components or modifications to rectify the stock kit not up for the job.

I wonder if I need to brace the frame anywhere too.....

;D

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 06:42:40 pm
Sounds as though you had a really good ride up in Cumbria. This must have really tried out the bike -but not as hard as perhaps in some of tho's Indian ranges.
 I have 2000 mls. + on my G5, but have not experienced any oil loss whatsoever (as yet) - so is it a combination of hard riding with a minor oil leak/fault -or a major oil fault?

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 06:59:25 pm
Oil getting into the air intake??  This would seriously bother me.  I think something is very wrong on your bike.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 11:13:37 pm
From the sound of that, the first thing I would be looking at is the oil level, sounds like it's overfull (speaking from experience  ;) )

Cheers

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 01:03:56 am
From the sound of that, the first thing I would be looking at is the oil level, sounds like it's overfull (speaking from experience  ;) )

Cheers

I agree with you Hocko !

When overfilled, the oil will be splashed into the breather tube.

Secondly, if Khardungla is riding the bike very hard - such as drag racing, the oil droplets are pushed towards the breather tube and to the air filter.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

KhardungLa

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 02:10:56 am
Oil in the airbox is the design of this engine. It's where it ends up.

The oil level was definately not too high.

All engines have a PCV / breather. When the crankcase is positively pressurised - extra heat causes a vent to open to release this pressure and oil vapour - normally into the inlet manifold to be burned off. On the UCE EFI Bullet the oil ends up venting out of the intake and ends up in the airbox.

On the old classic there is a catch can to collect this oil.

The UCE Thunderbird also collects in the air box.

Obviously this will only happen if you give the engine a lot of licks. If you sit at a constant 70 mph for more than 15 mins without slowing down (freeway) in warm weather you'll see this happen - or if you give the engine a thorough working in hill climbing... or just blast around a lot.

It's meant to happen to stop the engine blowing up. I can handle regular oil changes. Tough engines :)

Have you guys removed the rubber wind deflectors from the cylinder casing? Maybe this is causing overheating on my unit?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 02:55:31 am by KhardungLa »

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 03:05:31 am
4600 miles on my C5, never had any oil in the air box. I have removed the rubber dampers from my engine, it looks much better without them.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

KhardungLa

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 03:32:53 am
Just read the rubbers on the cooling fins are to reduce buzzy vibration and are not 'wind deflectors' as the service manager told me.

I will take the bike in tomorrow and discuss the oil breather.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 12:13:33 pm
I think the rubbers are there to help quiet engine noise, but I didn't notice any difference whe I removed them.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 01:21:35 pm
I was told that the rubbers were to stop "mettalic ringing", in the castings.
I have had none RE owners admiring the rubbers, so will leave mine on!

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 05:00:43 am

I have had none RE owners admiring the rubbers, so will leave mine on!
Huh? none?

They were the first thing to go on my G5, I didn't like the way they looked.

REAZ

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 07:53:30 pm
Oil in the airbox is the design of this engine. It's where it ends up.

Nope, the oil has nothing to do in the airbox and it does not go there in the UCE engine unless you have more oil in it than should be. Then it escapes through the breather hose. No need for a catch can, because there is nothing to catch.
It is good to ride
REAZ

Land Surveyor

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 08:25:36 pm
Can't speak to the oil in the airbox issue as everyone here obviously has more experience than I in that regard.  Rubber "biscuits" stuffed in between cylinder fins were a feature of every air-cooled 2-stroke I ever owned.  They are supposed to reduce vibration and the resulting noise.  Don't know the difference because I never bothered to take any out.  I seem to recall it said that the UCE engine actually has more finned area than it needs for appearances' sake.  I know all my old 2-strokes had plenty deep fins as well.  By contrast, the smaller Honda 4-strokes I remember didn't have particularly deep finning and hence no "biscuits."

Bottom line: If you ride it and can't tell a difference, I see no reason not to remove them. 

You mention suspension upgrades.  Is it possible some aftermarket supplier like Ohlins (or even something less expensive) might have some to fit the RE?  It would look kinda funny to see a C5 with remote reservoir shocks but if it improves the ride....
I assume you could put progressive rate springs in the forks and change the fork oil.
Don't know if there's a fork brace available to fit the C5 or if that design allows for any to be attached.  Surely there's a way.

Land Surveyor

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 09:14:33 pm
Dude, I'm glad you got out of Cumbria when you did!  Apparently some cabbiie over there nutted-out and went on a killing spree.