Author Topic: Greetings from Down Under  (Read 3427 times)

Rossco

• Neophyte
on: May 21, 2010, 08:40:48 am
Hi All,

I'm a (relatively - 2500K's on the clock...) new owner of a black C5.... All the usual superlatives apply here - love the looks, love the ride, love the fact that i can tell people I restored it from scratch...!  ;)

However - I've noticed that we are a bit thin on the ground in Oz when it comes to accessories... There's a rack, a pillion seat, panniers and thats about it. I was just wondering if there are further accessories available in the states, or if not if anyone knows when RE plan to bring out more?

And while I'm here... I've noticed that when i start up on a cold morning i get a loud "clacking" noise that dissappears once the engine warms up - I don't know if it's somthing to do with the centre stand (I haven't tried starting it off the stand - will try that tomorrow) or the engine itself... Has anyone else experienced this?

Cheers,
Ross

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 10:41:26 am
There aren't too many accessories specific to the C5 yet available, but the good thing is it is so similar that many bullet accessories will work just fine.  There are some things which are different, such as the exhaust, seat mounts, but you can adapt.

That clacking noise is normal. Mine does the same thing. Has something to do with auto compression release when starting, I think (I'm no mechanic...)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 12:45:57 pm
What does the rack look like? I've been waiting for one here in the states.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 06:01:18 pm
... I've noticed that when i start up on a cold morning i get a loud "clacking" noise that dissappears once the engine warms up

As csbdr says the clacking is normal and it won’t do any harm.

It’s caused by a device fitted to one of the cam gears, if the revs drop too low and the bike is in danger of stalling the device alters the cam profile to keep one of the valves slightly open (I think). Once the revs are up it retracts and the clacking stops.

Apparently it can be removed quite easily and once I find the thread that shows you how to do it I’ll be removing mine. It’s a mechanical device so no danger of upsetting the electronic “brains”.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 08:12:04 pm
Hi Rossco and welcome aboard.

Indian customs officials are a cranky lot and there are substantial duties to be paid on anything going (back) into the country. 
No matter where you go, there, you are.

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 10:58:36 pm
Hi Rossco, I'm also in Oz, North Qld with a G5, I get them same noise on some startups, just one of those things, where abouts are you by the way. I'm after a screen and panniers (with the tax cheque). What other stuff are you after?

Cheers  :)

kiamarider

• Amazin
  • Scooter
Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 08:33:14 am
Hi, I also bought a black C5 last dec and live in Kiama NSW. I don't seem to get the starting noise although it is only now starting to get cold but i do have  a whirring sound in 3rd and fourth if i am accelerating hard- going up hill etc(plenty of hills in Kiama)
Have done 5600km and no other probs except lost neutral light a month ago.

Have fun
Peter

Rossco

• Neophyte
Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 02:38:13 pm
Hi all,

Thanks very much for the replies - It's a weight of to know that the "clacking" is nothin to worry about...

Re the accessories i was wondering how much of the old bullet gear was adaptable to the new bikes... I e-mailed Enfield australia and they advised that the only accessories they stocked that could be added without much tinkering were the three i mentioned - i'll definitely check out the Nfield Gear... I've tried to attach a picture of the rack, but not sure if it will work as i'm still trying to work out this page!

To Hocko and Kiamarider - I'm down in Melbourne... Regarding accessories I don't really have anything particular in mind - just stuff to individualise the bike. Though a bench seat would be cool.... Does anyone know if they are available?

Cheers Guys,
Ross

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 06:54:11 pm
Looks like the same rack on my buddy's Sportster, nice but I don't want to drill my fender, Thanks for the pic!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association