Author Topic: Spare Ignition Key for G5 !  (Read 4714 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
on: May 21, 2010, 05:34:53 am
The search is over !! I have been looking for a spare ignition key for my G5.  After trying several hardware stores, none of them could make one for my motorcycle, I found one store called All Points Security Safe and Lock that had hundreds of keys of all kind.  But they had never heard of a motorcycle called Royal Enfield.  So the first clerk said NO, they don't have a blank for it.  Fortunately a lady coworker looked up the name in her book and found that it is a British bike but didn't have any other info.  She looked at my original key and gave me a blank key to see if it goes into the locks smoothly. I tried and it was OK.  She told the first clerk how to cut it carefully.  It has worked for handle lock, battery cover lock, air filter lock, and for ignition too.  

I forgot to check if it will open the gas tank and the tool box.  I will check it tomorrow.  The key is CURTIS B-56.  Only its shoulder edge is longer than the RE original key but with a little wiggle it worked.  On the other side of the key, it says for GM cars.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 06:56:14 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 11:53:13 am
I used a ford blank to make a key for my G5.
I also used a "Club" blank for my 01 and a Volkswagen blank for my 99 and 95.
There are so many different key blanks out there that will fit these things.
Finding someone to take the time to find it is another thing but going to a locksmith over a shoe store with a key machine will increase your chances of finding one dramatically.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 08:03:26 pm
Excellent find singhg5 !!
No matter where you go, there, you are.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 08:06:18 pm
CJ

You are right.  Finding someone to take the time to find the right one is another matter.  I was just lucky to meet that lady who was knowledgeable and helpful from the get go.  Before my key was finished, she had already left the store for some work at the bank.  If I was even a few seconds late, the other employee would have sent me home without one, because he said he does not have a blank and never heard of this bike !

I posted this because the more names and numbers of blank keys you have (besides ilko and hillman and mine is Curtis), the better the chances of finding one near you. 

I checked that the key does work for gas tank and tool box, though only one side works after some trials.  But I am happy that I found one that works and I now know where to get one. 

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 08:09:48 pm
Excellent find singhg5 !!

Thanks Ice.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 05:39:12 am
You didn't get an extra key with the bike?

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 09:11:52 am
There are plenty of blanks available in India just like the original ones. I think NField gear should source them from India and people can order it from them. Should be few $'s max.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 01:16:36 am
You didn't get an extra key with the bike?

They gave me an extra key when I had bought it.  But you know what happens sometimes with keys !

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 01:38:44 am
There are plenty of blanks available in India just like the original ones. I think NField gear should source them from India and people can order it from them. Should be few $'s max.

Sat Sree Akaal.

CMW (the importer of RE) lists some key blanks in their printed catalog but there is some issue that it may not work in some situations.  They would still have to be cut to match your original key by a local key shop.  Finally, the shipping cost from CMW would be more than the price of key !  My locally made key was $5.50.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk