Author Topic: Frankenstien XS650/Bullet  (Read 1916 times)

500KsGerry

• Grand Gearhead
  • Remember when decency wasn't a option?
on: May 20, 2010, 12:44:43 pm
   For any  following along on the 650 motor in  my RE....Still  working  on  it  but have  had  the  chance to  ride  it.  Its embarrassing to admit but we found a gob of old gas in one of the  carb inlets. Bltrdr and a motorhead buddy of mine  from down the street got it going. In as few words as  possible.... it goes  like hell. Anything past 1/8 throttle and I really  need  to  pay attention and brace myself. The  gearing is pretty  low, almost same as  a stock RE so it  really snaps  the  head  back. I hit 60mph(RE speedo) inside of 3 or 4 very short blocks and hacked  off  some  neighbors but  couldn't help myself. Was running  real  lean so its since  been fattened up considerably. On the way back to the house I felt the back end jump sideways real hard going from 3rd to 4Th so I stopped. Sure as heck the rear axle shifted out of adjust. Almost scared the crap outta me. Its cinched up very tight for now till I can Afford a different style adjuster set. After the initial  ride of terror through the neighborhood I pronounced myself a happy man to Bltrdr and my buddy from a couple doors over. Friends  went home from a job well  done, then I hid the bike back in  the  garage ::)
   Have to get help  kick starting it tomorrow, (starter bendix still not  right), so i  can  tune on it  some more an  check  the  plugs. Hopefully in the ball park now. If i can get  it  tuned  well  enough I may be able to  kick it  with my bum leg till  starter is fixed.  The charging syst seems  to be working  fine however it buries the stock ammeter needle past about 1500 rpms. Still......WHAT A DAY!
    Will be  posting  a pic or  after the mess  cleaned up a  bit. ;D      Gerry
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 05:30:04 pm by 500KsGerry »
Modified 2001 Royal Enfield bullet 500

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 01:07:54 pm
Cool!
That's a powerful engine you have in there.

It also might be a little rough on the swing arm bushings. You might have to look at some bronze bushings or something for it.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 07:47:00 pm
Br. Gerry, it's great to hear from you.  It sounds, primarily, like you're well enough to ride your Royal-Yam and this is very good news!!!  Secondarily, your project has been a success and this is also very good news!!!  Attaboys go out to you and your buddies!!!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 11:29:37 pm
 Br. Gerry please bring your bike to the get together this week end.
Finished or not, trailered or ridden several of us would love to see it.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

500KsGerry

• Grand Gearhead
  • Remember when decency wasn't a option?
Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 02:33:32 am
Update:
   Went for a short ride an ran into problems. After being parked a while one carb leaked like a sieve through the overflow. Had changed the needle/seat in that  carb yesterday. Found a sunk float so I went to a friends shop nearby and soldered it up. The  right pipe has turned purple and the pilot jets ( size jump up) are still  on the lean side. Is strange because the backfires and cackling are less with the filters off. I did some  more relief cutting on the pods to improve airflow to the idle holes on the back side of the carbs.....some improvement. Will  try a bit of radiator hose to extend them out a  little to  see if  that  will  make a  difference. Still not  to  the  point  where they can be syncronized yet.
  Leg is  very  sore, wife  home  now and  can't really  kick it  in  her  presence. Think I'll  got to  parts  store and  get  some  hose.  I'm so  hoping to  be able to  ride  to  the  meet. Thanks  for  the  support  guys,  Gerry
Modified 2001 Royal Enfield bullet 500