Author Topic: A potential problem in the Electra?  (Read 7296 times)

rochitsen

• Scooter
  • At 13,500 feet on Rohtang Pass
on: December 19, 2007, 05:59:59 am
Hi All,

Just read this on a Royal Enfield community site in India. The issue is with the Electra X which is sold in India as Machismo 500.. and has the AVL 500cc engine. I have pasted it exactly below:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I bought the AVL 500 in August 2007 from Ess Aar Motors in Delhi. (I used to ride the Avenger before that). I pretty much a tourer and with the regular back pinches i got on my trips, friends suggested me to get a Bullet and recommended the AVL 500 as it was available and supposedly came with a reliable engine and max performance. For those who'd seen me riding (other Bull riders), suggested that the Bull (and the AVL500 in particular) would suit my riding style.

I took the bait and got the Bull. I had been loving it. When the odo read 1940 on Oct 1, I left Delhi @0400 hrs for the mountains. Destination Ladakh. Went on smoothly for the first few days. Went thru manali, a frozen Rohtang, a completely snowed out BaralachaLa..thru to TanglangLa and other places all the way to a frozen KhardungLa. On our return thru the Kashmir Valley, the clutch and gears started getting heavy. And about 50 kms short of Pathankot, the bike stalled. The engine lost ignition and was sounding like a sore throat (Gale mein Kharash types). A local mech suggested burnt out clutch plates. But then a few phone calls later, I was hauling up the Bike on a pick up truck to Pathankot, to Cashmir Sales Corp. - the nearest RE authorised service centre. The bike odo read only 4000 odd kms then. Frantic attempts to find out the problem finally revealed a broken bearing in the Self Starter. The bearing was shattered in more than a hundred pieces which floated around in the clutch and had jammed the primary drive chain. Finally the bearing was replaced, but the gears in the started assembly still showed signs of distress. The self start went on like a misbehaved component. A month or two after that RE tech reviewer from chennai visits Delhi and advices a replacement of the spark clutch (self starter gears aseembly).
Alright.. So the spark clutch has been replaced and things go on smooth for a short while...but then the spark clutch kept behaving funny off and on. Typical ex. of the misbehaving self is a loud noise from the clutch assembly while using the self startes. A loud 'khaadak' and no ignition. This is the onset of of problems. When I look back at my previous breakdown, i remember this happening prior to it.

I immediately rush to the W/S and report the repeat in the self starter problem. This time they keep my Bull for a week. They are waiting for a redesigned Clutch cover and spark clutch assembly, which they think is a design issue. After a week in the W/s, a new clutch cover assembly, I finally got back on the road.

now, my bike is nearing the end of the warranty period. Only a few hundred kms before i'm on my own. A new/ replaced component, an acknowledged design flaw, with no extended warrantly...

What if...the new assembly also goes kaput. Apparently, the new Clutch Cover assembly is for some 9500 bux...

Once I go out of warranty, what is going to be RE's stand on the issue if the component fails again??? Who bears the burden of this replacement cost???

Will RE give me an extended warranty for this??

I Demand an extended Warranty for This.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, i have the same bike and i have clocked 3,339 Kms on it now. Reading this rings the bell that when i use the Self Starter i do sometimes hear a strong CLICK sound that is not very pleasing. So, is it an onset of some bigger problem?? Please suggest as what this could be and what has to be done to prevent a breakdown.....Awaiting reply eagerly.

Thanks

LJRead

Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 09:57:26 pm

I see the moral in all this as to stay away from electric start if you are able. As to what he is saying about not having extended warranty period after the fix, that is always the case with warranties which, I suppose, are there to help one work out the bugs, and after that you are on your own, hopefully being relatively trouble free after the one or two year period.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 02:19:56 am
Sure wouldn't want those fragment jamming the primary drive at high (55mph)  speeds. Better keep your fingers on the clutch lever when your cruising....
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

faltnerc

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 07:30:56 pm
It is true.
This problem really exists. IĀ“have also destroyed the gears of the sprag clutch of my Electra after app. 1000 km. The problem is that nobody warns you that this item is very difficult to handle. At least i have learned how to use the electric start:
Use it like the kickstart! Bring the piston in the position a little after TDC in compression stroke with the kickstart. Then press the start button. The piston is now in the downward movement and the sprag clutch has time to get in contact and  not much resistance. Others say that you have to pull the decompressor before pressing the electric start an then, when engine is spinning, release the decompressor. I tried this method but had always troubles with it, after releasing the decompressor often terrible noises as if the sprag clutch would start to slip.
I also had no warranty and payed for the parts!
Regards
Chris

rochitsen

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 05:15:32 pm
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.. i passed on this problem to a RE personnel and he has assured me that they are looking into the matter and will get back to me shortly... will keep you guys updated.

tanker

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 02:03:00 pm
I'm just finishing the purchase of an '06 Electra.  As part of the final prep, my dealer told me he is putting in an "ignition delay relay" that should help with the problem of the sprag clutch self-destructing if the engine kicks back during electric starting.  Theoretically, it delays turning on the power to the spark plug long enough to allow the engine to spin.  With no power to the plug, no detonation and hopefully no sprag clutch problem. 

Does anyone else know about this or have experience with it?

Happy New Year to all,
Brian
Brian
2006 Electra-X
1994 Goldwing

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 05:28:54 pm
The delay unit was developed by the UK importer, It does as you suggest, delays the spark for one revolution. The trouble with the sprag starts with a backfire. If you set your bike up to eliminate this possibility you will get a much better life from the unit. New Electras come with this circuit built in. We sent units to dealers and asked them to install them on any bike that comes in for service or on bikes in stock that don't have them. If you are an Electra owner and don't have one (check with your dealer - we can't tell from here) we will happily send you one free of charge if you pay the postage. They take 5 minutes to install.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

rochitsen

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 04:38:45 pm
Thanks a lot for the valuable replies all....... Kevin can you pls tell me how i can pay for the postage... preferable through my credit card, but pls do let me know.

Also i would really appreciate if you could also send some instructions as to where to install this relay and other know how's.

Alternatively can you tell me the relay model number, make, etc... i can try to buy it here in India if available.

Again, i am glad and thankful for your reply to resolve this issue.

Thanks

HRAB

• I should really edit this
  • Grease Monkey
  • Been there, doin' more...God willing
Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 09:07:20 pm
CMW Inventories it as part number 581028/A Delay Circuit.
Give is a call at 800 201 7472 We'll take your information and credit card down then we can ship UPS or US Mail the part to you.

It's pretty easy to put in. Simply remove the side cover, un-plug the starter relay, plug this delay circuit between the two ends (match color codes on the wires), then remove the (matched color coded wires) plug from the TCI unit and connect the other two leads on the delay circuit between them.

jim
BMWMOA www.bmwmoa.com
Iron Butt Association www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
(Formerly) CRA# 118N www.cra-mn.com (I got smarter in old age)
74 Honda XL350 'Scoot'
81 Honda CB650C
86 Gold Wing with California Sidecar
00 Honda ST1100 'Large Marge'

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 11:22:13 pm
whoo, whoo got my delay unit today ;D

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 11:52:22 pm
I got my delay unit from C&L Cycles yesterday. Thanks C&L and CMW.

Thanks also to Jim for the installation instructions.

Matt

rochitsen

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 03:51:45 am
Hi,

I received a call from RE and they assured me that this delay circuit is already installed on my bike. But i guess i will need to open it up and check it myself. Would the delay circuit be easily distinguished?

Thanks

HRAB

• I should really edit this
  • Grease Monkey
  • Been there, doin' more...God willing
Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 08:49:52 pm
It is a small (1 1/2" sq) black box that plugs between the TCI Unit and the main harnes, and into the connectors to the relay.
jim
BMWMOA www.bmwmoa.com
Iron Butt Association www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
(Formerly) CRA# 118N www.cra-mn.com (I got smarter in old age)
74 Honda XL350 'Scoot'
81 Honda CB650C
86 Gold Wing with California Sidecar
00 Honda ST1100 'Large Marge'