Author Topic: Torque Specs  (Read 1252 times)

Paul Luc

• Scooter
  • '09 AVL Bullet
on: May 16, 2010, 03:57:41 pm
I ordered Pete Snidal's manual, maybe this info will be in there, but it's not in my owner's manual.  So, in the interim, does anyone know what the torque specs are for the spark plug and the the allen screws on the primary cover?

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 05:12:08 pm
Snidal doesn't list a torque for either. 
I think most folks just go by feel.  The main thing is not to be a gorilla.
On the screws/bolts, I just go a little past stop.  Tight, but I could go tighter.  There's no real oil pressure there, and you're screwing into aluminium threads.  Just enough so things don't leak.

The spark plug I do a little tighter.  The point is to compress the ring to make a good seal.  The spark plug isn't in danger of shooting out, so don't tighten it up until your really leaning into it.  Until it stops and a half turn is good.  Yopu shjould be able to feel the compression ring mashing down.
Run what ya brung

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 07:54:39 pm
I've gotten in the habit of chocking up on the ratchet or spanner/wrench. Less leverage that way.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Paul Luc

• Scooter
  • '09 AVL Bullet
Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 06:33:47 pm
Thanks for the advice gents.  I needed to pull the primary to look at the gasket...slight drip near the shifter/left side foot peg, or so it seems.  Wanted to be sure not to under or over tighten when I put the cover back on.  Didn't solve the dripping problem anyhow.  There were no obvious problems with the gasket, so I guess I'll just need to replace it and see if that fixes it. 

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 07:31:55 pm
One thing you might try is putting some wet-dry paper on plate glass and making sure the cover surface is really flat.   A piece like that needs to be slowly tightened by going to opposite bolts as you go around to make sure it doesn't warp from uneven pressure.  Tighten finger tight at 12 and 6 o:clock, 9 and 3, 2 and 8, etc.  Then go around with an allen wrench and do the clock work again until it's tight all around. 

(I learned that on old BMW oil pans and heads)
Run what ya brung

Paul Luc

• Scooter
  • '09 AVL Bullet
Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 03:57:36 am
Interesting advice...makes sense though I hadn't thought of it.  It's just a couple drips each time I park it back in the garage, but it still bothers me.  I'll try your method before swapping out gaskets!

doransignal

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 03:04:13 am
It should be hand tight then1/4 turn with a socket no tighter. Also can you send me another request on facebook you got deleted by accident.