Author Topic: Probably a Very Old Question  (Read 4378 times)

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
on: December 16, 2007, 09:35:14 pm
My wife just gave me the green light to buy an RE.  At this point the only question I have is whether to buy a Classic or an Electra.  I'm gonna post this same question over on the Electra board to se what those guys have to say. 

The question is, Given my riding style which is conservative but I do like to cruise country roads at 60 to 65 mph for hours - wheelies and stoppies aren't part of what I do - neither is much interstate riding, what would be the advantages, in your opinion, of a Classic over an Electra?.

I expect this is well plowed ground, but my search for this only gave me lots of scattered bits of information.

Thank you for your tolerance of a noobies ignorance.

Fred
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 10:34:49 pm
Hmmm, I did find this thread in the FAQ's section.  http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,394.0.html

Most of the answers I was looking for are in there.  However, anything else anyone might care to offer opinion-wise would certainly be well received.

Fred
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 11:01:33 pm
Here's my rationale , If you have to ask,get the Electra. As all the posts say , it has all the updates, electric starting,and I believe electronic ignition. Some of us who chose the classic really did not care about those things, It was more a "love at first sight"(at least it was for me) and updates be damned. I even hunted down an 05 with no electric starter. So , if you didn't get sweaty hands at your first sight of a classic, then the Electra is for you.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 11:34:32 pm
Cyrusb - that is the most accurate rationale I have ever come across - so very true.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 12:31:29 am
Go for the Electra if you want the next evolution albeit only slighty changed from the original style and design of Royal Enfield Bullet.
The Classic is really a modern incarnation of the original.

I wanted a bike that looked like the late original 1950's early 60's style of Royal Enfield.
It therefore had to have a right foot change with four speeds and left brake. It had to have the drum brake though with twin leading shoes (for obvious reasons) rather than the disc brake. I liked the utilitarian look without the 'need for speed' and for me the Bullet 500cc Army fitted the bill with its large accomodating ammo box panniers and front crash bars as standard.
Speed wasn't a major issue. I have another bike for high speed stuff.
It'll cruise at 55-60 indicated, but you find your riding adjusts to suit the speed and the journey becomes more important than the getting there etc.

In the end it is all about personal choice and mine was a 2003 500ES Army ;D

« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 10:50:51 pm by LotusSevenMan »
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 01:17:51 am
60 to 65 mph for hours has only one answer - Electra. And quite honestly, that is stretching the Electra to its limit. For hours of riding, even the Electra is happiest in the 55 mph mode.
If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing well

VMAX

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 02:08:07 am
Cyrsub:

As RagMan indicated, you are right on target. That is exactly how I felt. I saw an ad, called the owner & he drove over, when he drove that Classic 500 ES into my driveway I knew I had to have that rig.  8)
Ride Safe - Check 6 - REA #9
05' RE 500 Classic Bullet ES w/Cozy Bullet
Liberator Motorcycle Ministry

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 02:56:32 am
Another way of looking at it is that if you like the Classic for all that it undoubtedly is, you may even end up deciding to ride at its pace and enjoy your rides even more. Country roads are to be felt by as many senses as possible, and that's done a lower speeds usually, I find.
If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing well

DaveG297

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 09:38:05 pm
I'd go for a Bullet, any color, any style and most any year.   Any one of these will give you the Bullet feeling.   Just be sure you like to turn a wrench now and then.....dg