Author Topic: Looks Like Today was the Day  (Read 12468 times)

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
on: December 19, 2007, 01:57:35 am
Wife and I had to go up to Galesburg today, and I though my local RE Dealer was just up the road another 30 or so miles - so why not pay him a visit.  The dealer is Hanna City Power and Equipment, Rick is his name.

When we walked through the door I spotted a dark blue Electra sitting there in all its disk-braked shininess.  So all my attention went to the Electra.  After a few minutes of me fawning and drooling, my wife asked me what the red bike next to it was.  Well, I didn't know.  It was an RE, but not like any I had seen on the net.  So I asked Rick.

Rick said it was a brand new 2006 Sixty-Five.  It had the old classic iron engine, dual leading shoe front brake, an actual low speed mixture adjusting screw, a really weird way of holding the rear fender on, grease zerks, and only a center stand that turns out to be a bit of a strain.

I was totally prepared to love any bike with the new aluminum engine.  But I just couldn't make myself do it.  We started up the 65.  That was it!  I was hooked!  I was screwed!  There was no way I wasn't buying that bike.

I asked Rick to total up the bike and a few accessories for me so I could see the big picture.  The accessories I wound up ordering were; the free flow muffler, two new main jets appropriately spaced, an 18 tooth counter shaft sprocket, rear rack, small wind screen, front fender pedestrian slicer (what a name!), and I think that's about it.

Rick gave me a price I thought was decent, so we went for it.  We agreed I would pick up the bike and the parts that had come in somewhere in the middle of January.  I'll get it home somehow.

When Spring gets here, I'll probably order in some cables, bulbs, tubes, points and condensers and what other parts I need to make me feel secure.

I am so totally happy that I found this bike and went for the classic engine.  Now that I've told you my story of todays adventures, would some of you be good enough to tell me what exactly a Sixty-Five is?  Is it still a Bullet?  What's the story on this bike?

Whew, that's alot of typing.  I'll stop now.
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 02:36:41 am
You made the right decision...   The 65 is a bullet with a 5 speed and factory built
LH shift that is better than the the bodge the bullets have. Nice going...
As far as the center stand, do the work with your FOOT!!  Not much lifting once you get the hang of it. With practice you will be doing it while seated!!

Mike in central Illinois
2003 ES Bullet -  23,000 Miles
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

c1skout

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 02:37:49 am
I think that was the first model with the 5-speed tranny.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 12:18:04 pm
  I have a 2004 Sixty-5.  The only difference between the Sixty-5 and other 5 speed models is cosmetic.  The Sixty means it is styled after a 1960's bike (you decide on that one) and the 5 stands for the gearbox.  I believe 2004 was the first year for the 5-speed.
  The Sixty-5 decals cause some confusion, most folks think it means the model year or that it is a 650cc engine.  You can see what I've done with mine as I have several photos in the Photo Gallery.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 12:27:22 pm
Congratulations! They are great looking bikes as well as time machines. Keep us posted with updates and snap some pix too!

Matt

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 12:37:08 pm
Thanks for the comments, guys.  I'll get some pictures of it posted when it actually shows up at my house and I get the extra stuff mounted on it.  This is going to be fun! :)

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 12:40:05 pm
Good choice!!!
How can you wait that long when it is just sitting there?  ;D
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 12:53:36 pm
Oh Man, it's killin me.  Good thing for me there's snow and ice all over down here.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 01:41:53 pm
It'll be worth the wait and all that anticipation!
Have a good X'mas and then think what fun you're gonna have after.  ;D

Enjoy and welcome aboard!!!
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

alwscout

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 02:14:17 pm
Congrats and enjoy!

Merry Christmas!

Adam
REA Member #10

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 07:26:36 pm
Mine is the 2006 Sixty-5 with the "magic Black" paint. The paint looks dark racing green in sunlight.

The dealer should have showed you how to work the centerstand - put your heel on the end of the lever with the foot pad and just raise up putting your weight on the lever, while just normally pulling up on the right hand grab bar under the saddle.  A little backward tug on the handlebar levers up the bike on the centerstand with no problem.

The Sixty-5 and the Classic are the original Enfield frames from about 1955.

My only accessary on mine so far is a sidestand from Classic Motorworks.  Also the plunger Top Dead Center gauge and the mini-feeler gauge from Classic Motor is a must have.  Along with the oil change kits from Classic Motor - or your dealer if you choose.

You will get a box (over and above your extra's) that has an extra cable, inner tube and some lever tools.

Your Sixty-5 will settle in well with about 2000 miles on it.  Just follow the break-in procedure in the owners manual right to the letter.

Congratulations!  Your now a member of the Sixty-5 Regiment!

Regards, Foggy
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 07:29:21 pm by Foggy_Auggie »
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 08:06:26 pm
Thanks for the nice welcome, Foggy.  Actually, I do know how to use a centerstand. My comment came from the difference I felt between the effort required on the 65 and that needed for the Electra.  The Electra was much easier.  I am sure I will become friends with hte 65 centerstand.

I also got, but failed to mention, the accessory side stand.  Not the adjustable one, the plain one.  The dealer said someone else he sold one to complained about the angle it put the bike at.  Kind of steep and tippy.  How does yours work for you?

Your paint sounds pretty cool.  I have a little touching up to do on this bike, but nothing that really bothers me.

Before I saw this bike, I was pretty sure I wanted a Classic.  But the more I looked at the 65 with its more basic approach to paint and less trim, the more I liked it better.

Was 2006 the last year for the 65?

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 03:16:14 am
Hi Fred,

I have the non-adjustable side stand.  Solid tube with the bend at the bottom that maintains the tube diameter at the bend.  It sets the bike at a good lean angle - the same as a Harley Sportster sidestand.

When I park, I swing the sidestand down, then standing on the left side of the bike it's real easy to set the centerstand.

My story is like yours - I went to the closest dealer in the summer of '06 and he had two Electras.  While looking at the Electras I noticed a fresh out of the crate Sixty-5 in the corner.  It hadn't been fully set-up yet for sale.  No contest - I put hold money down and said put my name on the Sixty-5!

I think '06 was the last year for the Sixty-5.  My dealer had a red '06 Sixty-5 he sold in the Summer of this year (dirt cheap BTW).  He said it was the last Sixty-5 he'll ever sell unless a used one crops up.

When you start riding yours you might notice a little sooty carbon showing at the header pipe right at the junction with the head.  This is a quirk on the iron engine and this minor leak seems to settle in and seal the more the bike is ridden.  It's not a defect per se as the header pipe is a free floating press fit at the head - it's not bolted to the head.  The big chrome strap to the frame down tube is what anchors the header pipe at the front.

Regards, Foggy
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 03:27:57 am by Foggy_Auggie »
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

Bullet500Dude

• Scooter
  • Me in Mexico
Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 04:17:47 am
Welcome to this insanity called Royal Enfield.  Leave it stock except for exhaust, and cosmetics.  I wish mine was back to stock........
Take CARE, be BAD ;-) and ride SAFE ....... D.B.

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 12:18:08 pm
Thanks for the info about the pipe, Foggy.  I was wondering what held it in the head.

Bullet500Dude, I think I know what you mean about leaving it stock.  All I plan on doing to it is to free up the flow both in and out of the engine.  In other words, put it back like it was before various governments got involved in motorcycle engine design.

I think that in its native state, the bike will be all I will ever want to need.

The scooter I reference in my signature is a 2 stroke and when new suffered from a cat converter in the pipe and a way undersized carb and jets.  All that helped it pass the emissions test to be imported to the US.  All that is gone now and it runs just fine.