Author Topic: Checking Oil Level???  (Read 9889 times)

Charro

• Bulleteer
on: December 18, 2007, 10:30:47 pm
On the electra side of the froum there is a discussion on how to proplerly check the oil level on tne new AVL engine. Cold vs Warm, overningt or not, full mark or halfway on stick WOW.

Anyways on my 03 Classic I have been checking in the morning before I ride ( cold engine). Marked the stick at halfway point and as long as the level is close to that mark, I call it good. I'm I right? Did'nt know I needed degree from ITT Tech just to check oil level.  HELP

Andy
2014 Royal Enfield C5
2004 Triumph Sprint RS
2004 Triumph Speed Four
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
1998 Triumph Speed Triple
1998 Triumph Daytona
2012 Ural Gear Up
"Tell me what kind of horse you want to ride. I'll tell you what kind of rider you are." (Old Mexican proverb)

VMAX

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 10:43:47 pm
Charro:

I do basically the same as you. Check cold & usually keep the level at the 1/2 mark (dependng if I'm going to be riding alot that day maybe just a bit more) If I remember, that is pretty close to what the bk says. However, it's been suggested to me to check the oil when I have a warm engine. I think I'll stay w/what seems to work best for me.  ;)
Ride Safe - Check 6 - REA #9
05' RE 500 Classic Bullet ES w/Cozy Bullet
Liberator Motorcycle Ministry

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 12:36:28 am
Andy,  that's how I check my Bullet Sixty-5.  Right at mid-point while cold.

I go through the technical course drill after I change oil and filter.  After that it's the simple standard dip stick motion - like on all my other bikes I've owned.

Regards, Foggy
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 01:22:11 am
The problem I have with mine, gents, is that when cold, the dipstick comes out dry, if the bike has not been run for three days or more! That's why I got into this research mode. I now hear that it is a quirk of the AVL engine that I should not worry about.
If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing well

Charro

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 05:04:01 pm
Thanks for the answers.

Andy
2014 Royal Enfield C5
2004 Triumph Sprint RS
2004 Triumph Speed Four
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
1998 Triumph Daytona
2012 Ural Gear Up
"Tell me what kind of horse you want to ride. I'll tell you what kind of rider you are." (Old Mexican proverb)

David R

• Scooter
  • Bullet 65, BMW R75/5 Suzuki DR650
Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 01:47:35 am
I'm only just begun getting to know my Bullet, but I had a terrible problem with oil blowing out around the top of the catch can. Speaking with CMW, I was told that it shouldn't be past half way between the marks on the dip stick. I, not knowing better had topped it off. I also found the hose between the catch can and the air box crimped. I fixed that and put good hose clamps on the hoses. I have now found that it likes to stay about a quarter inch above the low mark. When I fill it above that  and ride for any distance, it will be right back to that point. I don't worry about it. It seems to just stay there.

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 02:10:07 pm
I have not been able to be here for a long time being swamped at work - not much time to ride the new 350cc classic either. Just dashing off a note for guidance, on the oil level. The other bike I have is the AVL 500, where I have figured out the oil level subject pretty well by now.
The 350 cc is a new iron engine, and I wanted to hear from folks here who know the subject - is the oil level on the iron engine to be dealt with in the same way as the AVL? Reason I ask is that the new bike came with factory filled oil, where the level is full on the dipstick, when the engine is cold. Haven't checked on the hot engine yet. The dipstick also is smaller than the one on the AVL - I dont know if that is because the 350 is an iron engine, or because it is 350 cc.
I am seeing smoke out of the tail pipe for some time when I fire up the bike in the morning. I never seen that in the AVL.
Bike has done just 270 kms - about 180 miles.
I remember reading somewhere that in the AVL, the oil pump is a better design, pushes oil around very well, as compared to the one in the iron engine. That is why I understand that the AVL engine hates being overfilled with oil. And the high pressure means that it struggles to keep the oil inside the engine, if overfilled.
WIth all of this as background, should I extract some oil from the tank of the 350 so that it is at the halfway mark on the dipstick when the engine is cold? Or should I wait till the first service comes around at 500kms?
Is that the answer to the smoking problem? Or should I just soldier along for another 200 miles to the first service and then address this - and if so, what it the correct level for the 350 iron engine? I know that most on this forum have a 500 iron engine if they have it at all, but I think both sizes will have the same oil level answer.
My preference is to do nothing till the first service, will this cause any harm to the engine - apart from the risks of plug fouling perhaps.
As always, appreciate any/all feedback.

Charro

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 04:44:38 pm
I have not been able to be here for a long time being swamped at work - not much time to ride the new 350cc classic either. Just dashing off a note for guidance, on the oil level. The other bike I have is the AVL 500, where I have figured out the oil level subject pretty well by now.
The 350 cc is a new iron engine, and I wanted to hear from folks here who know the subject - is the oil level on the iron engine to be dealt with in the same way as the AVL? Reason I ask is that the new bike came with factory filled oil, where the level is full on the dipstick, when the engine is cold. Haven't checked on the hot engine yet. The dipstick also is smaller than the one on the AVL - I dont know if that is because the 350 is an iron engine, or because it is 350 cc.
I am seeing smoke out of the tail pipe for some time when I fire up the bike in the morning. I never seen that in the AVL.
Bike has done just 270 kms - about 180 miles.
I remember reading somewhere that in the AVL, the oil pump is a better design, pushes oil around very well, as compared to the one in the iron engine. That is why I understand that the AVL engine hates being overfilled with oil. And the high pressure means that it struggles to keep the oil inside the engine, if overfilled.
WIth all of this as background, should I extract some oil from the tank of the 350 so that it is at the halfway mark on the dipstick when the engine is cold? Or should I wait till the first service comes around at 500kms?
Is that the answer to the smoking problem? Or should I just soldier along for another 200 miles to the first service and then address this - and if so, what it the correct level for the 350 iron engine? I know that most on this forum have a 500 iron engine if they have it at all, but I think both sizes will have the same oil level answer.
My preference is to do nothing till the first service, will this cause any harm to the engine - apart from the risks of plug fouling perhaps.
As always, appreciate any/all feedback.

You will be fine with oil up to full mark untill your first service. Only danger would be blowing oil in to catch can, and some smoking upon start up. On my 500 Bullet I marked dipstick halfway and keep oil at that level. Seems to be doing ok with that.

Good luck
Andy
2014 Royal Enfield C5
2004 Triumph Sprint RS
2004 Triumph Speed Four
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
1998 Triumph Daytona
2012 Ural Gear Up

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 07:17:19 pm
The iron engine has a dual piston oil pump.  One side for pressure feed to the top end and the other side for scavenging back into the separate oil sump.

The newer AVL has a rotary vane oil pump like all new motorcycle and automobile engines.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 08:15:44 pm
Popular opinion and by my own running experience (yes with a 500, but there very little difference eh) I find that halfway on the dipstick is fine. Any more and as you say the engine can smoke a bit and blows oil into the catch tank. There are issues with the oil bypassing the crank and ending up creating a smokey start-up etc anyway.
The approved wisdom seems to be to leave the engine when it is not being used at the TDC position; ie. that point where the piston is positioned where you would normally kick start it. This prevents this problem.  ;)
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 03:00:46 pm
Thanks guys, I guess what I will do is keep things as they are and then get the oil level right after the first change in the 500kms first service. To half the dipstick level that seems to be the consensus here for the iron engine as well.

penwasser

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 01:35:28 am
One more stupid question on checking the oil.  When checking the oil level are you guys just placing the dipstick back in or are you screwing it down before you check the level  ???

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 02:55:26 am
Screw the dipstick in to check oil level.

-Jesse, 1/2 way level and TDC.
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.