Author Topic: Replace my Ducati with a Bullet?  (Read 11685 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: May 21, 2010, 06:06:08 am
...... .....     ....   My only concern is that I'm used to doing all my own maintenance and so far I've seen no mention anywhere of a way to tap into the ECU on those bikes.  On my Ducati I have software that lets me get in to set a few things when I do a tune up and also read error codes.   

Since the UCE bike has an O2 sensor there's probably not much, if anything, you need to do but there might be something like a TPS reset or MAP/MAF sensor calibration that's needed occasionally.  Or read error codes when the magic light comes on.  I'd hate if I had to go to the dealer every time I needed something like that.       ............
Scott

Hello Scott:

1. Error codes list has been posted on this forum earlier and is also listed in the Service Manual for EFI that is available separately from CMW at an additional cost.

Malfunction Indication Lamp - MIL Error Code Blinks

Engine will start but not perform to its potential. MIL will glow continuous
LONG 0 SHORT 6 Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) circuit malfunctioning
LONG 0 SHORT 9 ManifoldAbsolute Pressure (MAP) circuit malfunctioning
LONG 1 SHORT 1 Engine oil Temperature (TE) circuit malfunctioning
LONG 1 SHORT 7 O2 Sensor circuit malfunctioning
LONG 4 SHORT 5 O2 Sensor heater circuit malfunctioning

Engine will NOT Start but will crank. MIL will glow continuousLONG 1 SHORT 5 Rollover Sensor circuit malfunctioning
LONG 3 SHORT 3 Injector circuit malfunctioning
LONG 3 SHORT 7 Ignition Coil circuit malfunctioning
LONG 4 SHORT 1 Fuel Pump circuit malfunctioning
LONG 6 SHORT 6 Crankshaft position circuit malfunctioning
Testing Procedure using the Test pin in the vehicle

2.  TPS is easy to adjust from the throttle body - there is a large brass screw that provides variable resistance depending upon the position of the throttle. 

3.  MAP calibration ! Don' think so far any bike has needed re-calibration.  If something goes wrong with any part, just replace that part.  C5 and G5 have been on the market for over a year now in US and UK.  Even though there have been some bumps but overall it seems to be doing quite well.  I have over 6000 miles on my G5 and others have betwen 3000 to 6000 miles - Touch wood !

4. If you want to change other parameters of ECU, then you will need to change a lot of engine parts too.  Because the factory mapping of ECU is pretty well done to the limits of the rest of the engine. 

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #31 on: May 21, 2010, 06:49:36 am
MAP and MAF sensors usually don't need calibration, but I wasn't sure.  A screw for the TPS!  How nice and easy to adjust :)  The last generation of Ducatis had a screw for idle mixture and you set the TPS with an ohm meter.  The newer ones need a computer hookup for both.  This is thought to be done to keep people from messing with the ECU and making the bike run richer than EPA/ECU wants.  The older the ECU the more you can do.  The oldest were very easy to remap.  The newest with O2 sensors, you couldn't really do anything until recently.  There are now a few devices to fake out the ECU to run a little richer and a few people who have hacked it for remapping and sometime removing the O2 sensor and running it open loop.  

Still, you need to reset the TPS for every tune up.  You'd think they could add a button or something.

I should mention that I'm not interested in changing the map or anything along those lines, just looking to be able to do my own regular maintenance.  Is there any way to connect a standard ODB computer or another device to the ECU on the RE?  I'm too impatient to count blinks of the light :)  Also, how can you clear error codes when you see them?

Thanks for the info,
Scott
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 02:42:49 pm by Ducati Scotty »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5