Author Topic: Helmet confusion  (Read 9099 times)

madMurphy

• This can't be all that difficu -- aw, crap...
  • Scooter
on: May 08, 2010, 04:48:09 pm
I've spent the last few days looking into helmets and have reached a point where anything more I read just adds to my confusion.  I was initially considering between a Scorpion EXO-400 and 700 -- both are Snell-testing certified, which I understood subjected helmets to a more rigorous set of tests, demonstrating them to be more durable and, therefore, safer.  But as I looked at more expensive helmets, $300 and up, I stopped seeing Snell certifications mentioned in the product details.   I wondered if the more expensive helmets were really safer, or equally so and just more 'featured'? (inflatable cheek pads? i had a pair of sneakers like that in high school)  Paddling around on the Intertubes, I came across some mention that Snell tests place unrealistic demands on the equipment, particularly this piece:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html (kind of a long read, but worth it)

...which leads me to my next area of confusion: polycarbonate vs kevlar/fiberglass, particularly since the EXO-400 is made of the former and the 700 of the latter.  After reading about how much shock a 'hard' helmet transmits to the head as compared to a 'soft' helmet, I started doing some pro/con-ing on the two materials.  I've come across a lot of material that, taken alone, would lead me to believe that polycarbonate is cheap and to be avoided at all costs, and that kevlar is the equivalent of Frodo's mithril shirt for your head.

But, then I think of two things: one, in the afore-linked article, Dr. Hurt's saying "If they'd had a softer helmet they'd have been better off.", and a line from a post here by Vince: "I know that your buddy, the internet, and magazine writers know more than the scientists and engineers that actually make helmets, but this is my head I'm talking about."

In the above article, the EXO-400 did pretty well in their tests, but they rave about the Z1R ZRP-1.  The sub-$100 price of the latter helmet concerns me, but I'm not sure it should; the 400 is only $130.

So...I dunno.  I'm still leaning toward the EXO-400, and I'd like your opinions/preferences/experiences concerning helmets and price ranges.  I just wanna protect my noggin is all...
He shot the old man, raped his horse, and rode off on his wife...

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 05:08:03 pm
#1 you are smart to wear the helmet . I have 3 helmets, all Snell rated. Comfort is more important. A full face I used motocrossing, hot,heavy,claustrophobic, but safe. an open face w/ bubble, my favorite, and a half shell,for stinkin hot days, I recommend buying local, fit & comfort are more important than a government rating    ;D
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 05:56:18 pm
It all comes down to the testing protocols, and how those tests might relate to the actual impacts that your particular incident might need.

Snell ratings have a high priority on penetration testing during high speed impact. So it may very well be the better helmet if you crash at high speed and your helmet impacts a sharp object. As motorcycles became faster, more emphasis was put on stiffness and penetration resistance of the shell.
However, the polycarbonate helmets at DOT ratings may do better in other cases, like when your helmet just hits the road at normal speeds because it flexes more and absorbs more of the shock than the  stiffer materials would, and so less g-forces are transmitted to your head.

In the end, you can't really know what will be best for the crash situation you might be in, until after it happens, so it's easy to look back and say what would have been best, but you can't predict it beforehand.

My particular bias is that I'd rather have a helmet that can flex and absorb some of the shock, so that less shock is transmitted to my head. IMO, that is a more important consideration to me than whether a spike is going to penetrate my helmet during a crash. I think the blunt impact is more likely, and so a helmet that absorbs shock during a blunt impact will be more likely to protect me better.
That's just my opinion, based on what I think is a most likely scenario in a typical crash.
Being that the ground  is always present anywhere you might crash, it is a very high likelihood that your helmet will hit the ground in a blunt force way. I think it's much less probable that you are going to crash into a spike. So, playing the odds, I'll take the flexible shell that absorbs some of the impact.
IMHO.

Home of the Fireball 535 !

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 06:12:38 pm
I think you would be fine with the 400, provided it fits you well and is comfortable.  With a DOT or  Snell rating you should feel pretty confident. 

Can't emphasize enough getting one that fits proper and feels good.  Do not make concessions on those two points or you will regret it.

I watched this interesting video on a helmet that had a "skin."  There was the helmet base, thena layer of gel, and then a skin that looked like a regular matt finish helmet.  The idea is that when your head hits something like, pavement, your head slides.  A common injury for falling is the helmet catching some friction and your neck twisting pretty violently.  Its a possible future tech for racing since they are generally flying at top speed on pretty controlled flat-tracks.

Check for that DOT or Snell rating... make sure it fits you perfectly... try not to think of the price because your brain is worth it.  I try everything on in the store and then find the best deal I can online so I don't have to worry about returning.  You can get those fancy Arai and Shoei lids for half of what they cost if you dig.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 06:34:48 pm
Buy something you will wear... I have a full face for colder weather and rain and a HCI 50 for hot weather..  I like the HCI because it has the goggle clip on it, even if I look like Muttley...

I would buy a Helmet locally so you can get one thats fits right.. I bought my HCI online and it took 2 tries to get the right size.. A real pain... Also, I bought my full face at the local Cycle Gear store and had a hinge break and they replaced it free at the store. 
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Lahti35

• Currently Enfield-less!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • The Department of Redundancy Deptartment.
Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 07:10:33 pm
I've spent the last few days looking into helmets and have reached a point where anything more I read just adds to my confusion.  I was initially considering between a Scorpion EXO-400 and 700 -- both are Snell-testing certified, which I understood subjected helmets to a more rigorous set of tests, demonstrating them to be more durable and, therefore, safer.  But as I looked at more expensive helmets, $300 and up, I stopped seeing Snell certifications mentioned in the product details.   I wondered if the more expensive helmets were really safer, or equally so and just more 'featured'? (inflatable cheek pads? i had a pair of sneakers like that in high school)  Paddling around on the Intertubes, I came across some mention that Snell tests place unrealistic demands on the equipment, particularly this piece:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html (kind of a long read, but worth it)

...which leads me to my next area of confusion: polycarbonate vs kevlar/fiberglass, particularly since the EXO-400 is made of the former and the 700 of the latter.  After reading about how much shock a 'hard' helmet transmits to the head as compared to a 'soft' helmet, I started doing some pro/con-ing on the two materials.  I've come across a lot of material that, taken alone, would lead me to believe that polycarbonate is cheap and to be avoided at all costs, and that kevlar is the equivalent of Frodo's mithril shirt for your head.

But, then I think of two things: one, in the afore-linked article, Dr. Hurt's saying "If they'd had a softer helmet they'd have been better off.", and a line from a post here by Vince: "I know that your buddy, the internet, and magazine writers know more than the scientists and engineers that actually make helmets, but this is my head I'm talking about."

In the above article, the EXO-400 did pretty well in their tests, but they rave about the Z1R ZRP-1.  The sub-$100 price of the latter helmet concerns me, but I'm not sure it should; the 400 is only $130.

So...I dunno.  I'm still leaning toward the EXO-400, and I'd like your opinions/preferences/experiences concerning helmets and price ranges.  I just wanna protect my noggin is all...

Have you been to a cycle store? Stupid question i know but i was really confused myself when i bought helmet #1. Cruised the net trying to figure out this and that and then finally just went down to the local store after work and they got me fixed up.
'03 Ex-Electric start 500....gone but not forgotten...

I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 07:17:17 pm

I have a Z1R ZRP-1 and it was that test comparison that led me to check it out.  I would definitely try in person though-  it has a slightly different shape internally than a lot of other helmets I tried.  It fits me well, but apparently is not too comfortable for some folks.  It's pretty light for a helmet despite it having what I consider a somewhat large shell size and it is also pretty quiet.  It doesn't have a fancy visor mechanism or much ventilation, but that's ok for me as I mostly just use it in the winter and for foul weather.

Most of the time, however, I'm in either my HCI50 retro helf helmet or a Fulmer V2 sparkly 3/4 helmet with my Jeantet aviator goggles.  I just like them better.  I wish Fuler made a full face styled just like the V2 3/4 helmet.  I hate how "power rangers" most full face helmets are!

Eamon
Eamon

madMurphy

• This can't be all that difficu -- aw, crap...
  • Scooter
Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 08:09:57 pm
Can't emphasize enough getting one that fits proper and feels good.
I was at a cycle store a few days ago and tried on an EXO-400, among other things.  I liked the fit and it was nice and snug.  I think that's what I'm gonna go with.

try not to think of the price because your brain is worth it
Yeah, I don't mind spending money on head protection -- I DO use what's in there, from time to time, I swear -- but I wanted to avoid making a mistake with a helmet that sounded great but was cheap.

Thanks for your help everyone.  I'll either be placing an order or heading out to the store sometime soon.
He shot the old man, raped his horse, and rode off on his wife...

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 05:41:34 am
I was in a helmet factory in Italy a couple of years ago. When they were forming the inside Styrofoam like inner liners they used different colors of material in different areas of the inner shell. Each color had different properties. When the shell was finished they had very clear evidence that the shell was made correctly. They had different specs for different countries and specs. Very interesting.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 06:16:46 am
I've had 3 Bells, a Shoei, a Simpson, a Rider ($100 Snell!), a Nitro , a HCI 50, a few "no name" brands and my Arai.

Did I mention Arai? It is the smallest helmet I have ever owned. The tightest helmet I have ever owned. And after "fitment" (using a round object to compress the foam around my phrenological lumps) the best fitting helmet I have ever worn. It's expensive but it's my head. I got mine fitted at the Int. Bike Show by the area rep. He sure knew what he was talking about. I thought I wore a size Large or, at the least, a Medium. My Arai is a Small!

Did I mention Arai?
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 01:03:50 pm
It is my understanding that the Snaell rating is biased towards car use like racing, where there is going to be a better chance of something penetrating your helmet.  On a motorcycle, you're mostly going to slide and bounce. 
In any even, if you live in a state that requires helmet use, they look for a DOT sticker- and that's all they care about.

Assuming the helmet has a DOT sticker, you're biggest concern is FIT.  If something is not quite right, 50 miles down the road you will have fantasies about how to kill yourself.  The slightest intrusion on your head turns to torture after a while.

Helmets tend to have different shapes like round vs egg.  I have an oval -or egg shaped- head, so round helmets press too much on my forehead.  Some helmets will eat your ears.  If this is your first helmet, bring a magazine and wear a potential helmet around the store until they kick you out.  It's your head and money.   

Mostly, the mosre expensive helmets offer options like different thicknesses of face padding and ease of removing the face shield.  You pay for options and advertising.  If a $100 helmet FEELS good- get it.

BTW- never use a paper product to clean your visor,  There may be very small wood chips that will scratch.  Always use a micro-fiber cloth or cotton.
Run what ya brung

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 02:33:00 pm
I only wear a helmet 'cause of laws.My"helmet" is nothing more than a plastic cap.Arthur-Itis in neck provides a gradual pressure like feeling ending in a loud(to me) snap accompanied by a lightening bolt of pain,from trying to hold my head up with a real helmet on.When the manufacturers come out with a full face with a neck support to hold it up,I will get one.

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 02:51:08 pm
Uncle Egg Head, I like it. :D
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 03:33:35 pm
I find it interesting to note that both Snell and DOT helmet ratings for "g-shock" forces transmitted to the head, are high enough to create Level 6 brain trauma.
Level 6 brain trauma is also known as "fatal".
Even Level 3 brain trauma can result in permanent damage of varying types and severity.

Shock ratings on both Snell and DOT helmets are above 250g.
Anything over 250g to the head is considered to result in Level 6 injury.
Level 3 is 150g, which is normally a survivable tramua and most helmets don't even get close to that. There's on helmet that I know about, which is not DOT or Snell rated, but received a 966 European rating, and it tested at 150g shock in the impact test. That helmet has been discontinued, believe it or not, and it was the Cromwell Spitfire with the stainless steel shell. It is also sold as the Ducati Sport helmet. Same helmet with Ducati decals on it.
Apparently, the stainless steel shell acted like a "crush zone" in car construction, and much of the shock was absorbed in crushing the steel shell, which reduced the shock levels to the head.
It was a fairly expensive helmet at over $400, but  there are more expensive helmets than that out there.
Not sure why they discontinued it, but maybe it just wasn't selling.
It looked like a nice helmet to me, with nice retro style and good protection.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 04:07:28 pm
The Z1R ZRP-1 (also called the Strike) averaged about 150 g in the Motorcyclist Online test.  I also cost less than $100 new.  I have one, and it's what I wear when I use a full face.  It's not particularly fancy as far as vents etc and does have an internal head shape that may not be comfortable for everyone (ok for me - I have a weird head).  I love the Cromwell Spitfire.  That helmet has some style!

Eamon
Eamon

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 12:18:15 am
Single,If your interested you can get a neck brace that the motocross guys use with their helmets. ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #16 on: May 16, 2010, 01:25:25 am
i paid 50 cents for my helmet at a rummage sale.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: May 16, 2010, 03:26:46 pm
i paid 50 cents for my helmet at a rummage sale.

Bob, don't ya know there is a direct correlation between dollars spent and longevity.
The direction your headed in you won't make it much past 20 years old!
CJ 
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: May 16, 2010, 05:11:02 pm
Just ask any experienced women. They know a good helmet when they see one. ;)

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: May 19, 2010, 12:35:06 am
Here's a link to another article which also has links to the other rating systems. Snell 2010 is a different animal than Snell 2005, bowing to pressure from other raters out there.Personally, I was going to get an Arai RXQ, but it turns out none of their sizes fit comfortably. I opted for a Shark RSR2, the most comfortable helmet I've ever worn including Arai. It turned out to be plusher than the new Arai and oddly both the Shark medium and small fit my roundish 56cm head, but the small Arai RXQ was way too tight and the medium was way too big.. Go figger!

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-faq.htm

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 06:02:38 am
jjoe 256,

The Arai line has at least three different models and they are designed for different head shapes. It is possible that the overall shape of your head was not intended to fit in the RXQ. Oft times the dealers do not know how to fit a helmet properly. My local dealer had me in a medium in a different Arai model, swearing it was a perfect fit for me. The Arai rep at the bike show demonstrated how wrong they were, and put me in the right size and shape helmet. Helmets take awhile to settle in, so they need to be "firm" to start out and might need a bit of massaging for your own personal bumps.

I have heard good things about the Shark. If it fits, wear it! That's why there are so many different choices on the market, ay?

Safe, comfortable and happy riding!
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: May 20, 2010, 04:18:14 pm
Yup.  Arai says they have a range of helmets for the rounder headed or oval headed gentlemen, but I do feel like they are geared towards oval fit.  The Profile, for example, is an extreme oval which fits me perfect.  Most other brands lean towards the round, or "earth" shape. 

You are doing the right thing by being in a store and trying them on.  Once you do that you could look for that exact same helmet online for a cheaper price.  If you prefer to give the business to the dealer, that is fine too.  Around here, the prices are super high in stores.

That Web Bike World link gives a really good explanation for fit.  It really should be quite tight, with absolutely ZERO pressure points.  I had an Icon helmet on that I liked.  Fit great everywhere, but my dang oval head meant a hard pressure on the forehead.  That does not wear in or go away and will ruin your two-wheeled life.

bikebandit.com and newenough.com have some pretty low prices.  Just watch out for return policies. I'd only order from them after trying stuff on in-store.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: May 20, 2010, 11:09:40 pm

Yu

You are doing the right thing by being in a store and trying them on.  Once you do that you could look for that exact same helmet online for a cheaper price. 

Boggy, I saw your post this morning. I waited until now to answer to try to be more diplomatic in my reply. I don't think it worked. A while ago I started a thread about the view from the dealer's side of the counter. From my side as a dealer, you are stealing from me. This goes beyond price shopping. You are taking my time with no compensation. If the dealer has the expertise to direct your helmet search and properly fit you with a helmet, you should buy from him. Part of the difference in price is to have the stock on hand for you. This costs the dealer. Plus while he is talking to you, your deception is costing him, at the very least, the ability to deal with some one who supports him and is willing to compensate him for that support.
     If the dealer is inept, or a rip off, or his pricing is too high, why are you going there at all? If you know what you want, by all means call around for the best price. Read reports. Great, I have no problem with that. Call me and I'll quote you a price. But if you spend 30 minutes in my store with me, learning every thing I have to teach you and fit you, then buy it on line, I will have a problem. That 1/2 hour is $42.50 shop  time. I will never get that back.
     I suggest you find a dealer who can service your needs and that you can support, or do it all yourself. You are not being fair.
     Actually, waiting did work. This is a LOT more diplomatic than my first reaction.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: May 21, 2010, 02:08:41 am
I just meant if you needed to try something on. The stores around me you just walk up to a big display and start putting lids on. Someone will help ring you up. I don't think I suggested all of that. Apologies for any I'll advice.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 07:14:54 am by boggy »
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #24 on: May 23, 2010, 03:34:00 am
jest2dogs,
   Trust me, I spent my time on helmets. The Arai Quantum2 was THE helmet that fit and the other Arais,Vector,Profile didn't work for one reason or another.My last Arai hope was the RXQ, and I didn't want a Snell 2005 helmet. I'm just glad the Shark worked the way it has. Snug is one thing, vise grip, another.

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #25 on: May 24, 2010, 05:36:05 am
jjoe256,

It's all in what fits... and keeps ya' ridin', safe and happy.

BTW, What was the price point on the Shark?

-Jesse

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 01:25:52 am
Jest2dogs,
    Shark warantees their helmets for 5 years from purchase date. Arai, warantees for 5 years from purchase date but 7 years from manufacture. My RSR2, which is the top of the line race helmet retailed for $630. but I got it on closeout for $330. It was 1 year old. The solids were on sale for $230.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/motorcycle+helmets/shark_rsr2+helmet+-+furtif+black

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/motorcycle+helmets/shark_rsr2+helmet+-+duhamel+black+&+gold

They are the biggest selling hats in Europe and carry a Sharp 5 star rating. ECE 22.05 and DOT.
  Probably more than you wanted to know. Joe