Author Topic: Replace my Ducati with a Bullet?  (Read 11678 times)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 11:46:39 pm
While pulling a little red wagon piled high with repect for Mr Cafe, I must demur just a bit.  My experience is that riding an Italian bike focuses the riders attention on the bike and riding style.  It's not they Italian bike riders are in a hurry- they just like to ride fast.
Run what ya brung

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 12:35:34 am
While pulling a little red wagon piled high with repect for Mr Cafe, I must demur just a bit.  My experience is that riding an Italian bike focuses the riders attention on the bike and riding style.  It's not they Italian bike riders are in a hurry- they just like to ride fast.

Yeah - My Ducati focuses MY attention on just how freekin' wadded up I am on it - and how if I ride FASTER, I'll get home SOONER so I can ride the Enfield again and let my neck, back and my wrists heal ..... Hahahaha!! It's a super fast, great handler and sounds like thunder on the throttle and ALL the good things that you'd like about a bike - but I ride the Enfield most often because it IS all the good things that a motorcycle needs to be - with "Practical" being at the top of the list. It's kinda dumb trying to haul a few groceries on the Ducati - it seems like the thing to do with the Enfield. Yeah - I know - "Old and REsponsible" - that's ME!! Hahaha!!   ::)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 01:04:24 am
I would never hurt your feelings by thinking you're responsible.
Run what ya brung

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 03:27:48 am
Heeheehee! - I appreciate that! - Most of the time I try NOT to be .... It's just too .... too ..... responsible!!   ::)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #19 on: May 09, 2010, 04:08:22 am
Went to the RE/Ural dealer down in Salem, OR today with the wife and baby, Raceway services.  He has a half dozen or so REs in stock, some older model years.  There's a beautiful white iron barrel he's looking to move, said he'd make me a really good deal on it.  He had some that had both an O2 sensor and a kick start.  What's that?  I thought the O2 was only on the UCE engines with no kick start.  Did I see some optical illusion?

Nice fellow who runs the shop.  We had a nice chat.  My wife liked the forest green Electra or G5 that he had there.  He didn't have a C5 there but gave us a brochure that had pictures of the turquoise one.  The wife really liked that.

Then she started tallying up exactly how much I planned to spend on the bike and sidecar and how much I would get for my Ducati Monster when I sell it.  It was a good day.  I'm really glad she likes the C5, it's my favorite too.

Yeah, I do spend a lot of my attention on my riding technique on the Ducati.  It's throaty and sexy and the most fun street bike I've ever owned.  I think the Enfield is where I want to be though.  Dead simple, very minimalist, and would let me enjoy the scenery a little more.

Scott

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #20 on: May 09, 2010, 02:14:21 pm

Yes it's true.
I loved my Italian bikes. Especially the early 1970s 750 bevel-twins. They truly are a "rider's bike" and if I hadn't sold both of mine for peanuts years ago like a brain-dead idiot, I'd still have them. I'd buy another one if I could afford a vintage one now.

But I always rode mine fast, and I never really "smelled the roses" about the enjoyment of lower-speed riding until I got the Bullet.

Home of the Fireball 535 !

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: May 09, 2010, 02:41:45 pm
Yup, me too, only on Beemers. Seemed I was always going at least 80+. I rode my Bullet over the same roads that I done for years on the Beemer and saw things that I never new was there.  :-\

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: May 10, 2010, 02:30:28 am
I love my bullet too, but I wish I could find a larger bike with the same viceral feel as my RE, only a bit more capable on bigger roads. I was thinking of a BSA A65, but worry about rleiability. After reading this thread, maybe I'll look for a Ducati. My favorite Duc was the old 250 unit single from late 60s to early 70s, damn good looking motor.

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #23 on: May 10, 2010, 04:11:52 am
The only bike bigger than a Bullet that I'm thinking about anymore is the new Ural sT.
http://imz-ural.com/solo.aspl

I especially love the desert tan and olive versions.  $6799 base price beats anything but a Bullet too.  This bike would satisfy all my needs for a freeway capable bike that looks great and is also capable off of paved roads.

Still, I think a C5 with some K70's and a rear luggage rack would satisfy the same thing for me.  Of course I already have a Bullet that I love.  I should probably have a sidecar rig if I get another bike.  That way my dog can come too!

Eamon
Eamon

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #24 on: May 10, 2010, 05:40:50 am
The Solo is cool but it's even bigger than what I have now.  I want something smaller.  Anyone else have trouble getting their feet into the Ural controls?

Scott

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: May 10, 2010, 12:32:16 pm
The Solo is cool but it's even bigger than what I have now.  I want something smaller.  Anyone else have trouble getting their feet into the Ural controls?

Scott
It seems awkward at first, as does the heel-toe shifter, but after 2 days they seem natural.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #26 on: May 10, 2010, 04:36:50 pm
That's true, it is a heel toe.  I'm just used to that being optional on the bikes I've seen, not mandatory because of space.  Still bigger bike than I like.  And a Ural just looks funny without a leading link front end ;)

Scott

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #27 on: May 19, 2010, 11:33:27 pm
D.S.
 Personally I would steer you towards the UCE mill or maybe a AVL lump.

They have the roller bearing bottom ends, steel con rods and better oil pumps.
They will handle without complaint the RPM's and heat that will kill and Iron Barrel in short order.

Of all the bikes I've owned, my Bullet is the best balanced design of the lot.
It is the most versatile bike I have ever owned.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #28 on: May 20, 2010, 01:40:55 am
Yes, I'm definitely looking at the UCE bikes as my first choice.  I have to say the old engines are prettier but I like fuel injection, high mileage, more power, clean emmisions.  Still wavering between C5 and G5,wifey likes the C5 in Turquoise :)  

My only concern is that I'm used to doing all my own maintenance and so far I've seen no mention anywhere of a way to tap into the ECU on those bikes.  On my Ducati I have software that lets me get in to set a few things when I do a tune up and also read error codes.  Since the UCE bike has an O2 sensor there's probably not much, if anything, you need to do but there might be something like a TPS reset or MAP/MAF sensor calibration that's needed occasionally.  Or read error codes when the magic light comes on.  I'd hate if I had to go to the dealer every time I needed something like that.  I need to find an e-mail address for Pete Snidal and see if he's going to address this in his upcoming UCE manual.

For the Ducati the software tool cost me $240 with the adapter.  I just saw on my Ducati board that $800-1000 is considered common for a major service.  One service.  I've done 2 of those already.  I could never afford to own that bike if I had to take it to the shop.  And I really like getting greasy anyway :)

Scott
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 01:43:13 am by Ducati Scotty »

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #29 on: May 20, 2010, 03:52:55 am
 Our own forum brother Chinoy is deeply involved in and a pioneer of the world of UCE tuning.

You might PM him for advice..
No matter where you go, there, you are.