Author Topic: Replace my Ducati with a Bullet?  (Read 11684 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
on: May 07, 2010, 04:38:01 am
I currently have a Ducati Monster 800.  It's a great bike but it's best when ridden with a little spirit, and I tend to ride with a little more spirit than is recommended on public roads.  Lazy cruises in the country are just not fun at all, it's not what the bike was made for.  I want to slow down a little and enjoy the ride.

I've always liked the REs since they were brought to the States.  The local Ducati dealership has one in and is thinking about selling them.  I saw the C5 there and it is just way cool!  I really like minimalist bikes and both the C5 and G5 fit the bill.

Reading a bit about the new UCE bikes has me encouraged.  They seem to be put together a little better, and with fuel injection and hydraulic valves what's not to like?  Ok, not hearing your valves ticking away and not having to adjust them is a little weird.  I grew up with air cooled VWs and I do all my own work on the Ducati.  I'm used to adjusting valves.

I don't mind doing regular maintenance, I actually really enjoy it.  As I said, I do all my own work on the Ducati and that's more than most bikes.  Finicky Italian machines.  I've done most of the work on all the vehicles I've owned, cars and bikes.

Before I bought the Ducati I looked at a 250 Scooter and a water cooled 250 cruiser.  Both had enough power for me but I just can't get used to sitting on a scooter with no tank between my knees.  The 250 cruiser was really nice for what it was but the steering geometry suffered for the raked out aesthetics, under 10mph the thing just falls into corners in a most unsettling manner.

So, I'm thinking of selling the Ducati next season and getting an Enfield.  The Enfield would be my only bike.  I use my bike for commuting daily whenever the weather allows; rain yes, snow no.  Right now that's 8 miles each way and not much over 50mph.  I tend to change jobs though and could end up with some freeway time.  I live near Portland, OR so 60-65 as a top cruising speed would be fine with me and it looks like the new bikes can do that.  People don't go too fast around here.  Also, I have a new son who's only a few months old.  In a few years when he's old enough I'd like to hook up a Cozy or Inder sidecar so the whole family can share in the moto adventures.

So what do you all think?  Do you think I'd like the Enfield?  Anything I'm trying to do that's a really bad idea?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Scott

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 06:05:20 am
DS hi,

I'm in Australia and brought a G5 last year, prior to that I was riding a Suzuki SV650 S for a few years, very similar bike to the Ducati monster, handling and power wise. I use mine to commute and the occasional run on the highway south. The little buggers seduce you !!, I've had no problems with the transition , after the run in period that is, that gets a bit hard to swallow at first, the more K's I put on the bike, the better it seems to go, 110 kph cruising is not a problem and up to 400km to a tank of fuel is pretty darn good, the Suzuki was looking for a fuel stop every 200 km's or so. Go for it mate, I don't think you'll regret it.

Cheers  ;)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 07:15:31 am
Yes, the SV and the Monster are close cousins.  I think the SV is a bit better in some respects: ridiculously stiff frame, more power from water cooled engine.  That's a great comparison.  Thanks!

I love that I get so much of my moto information from Austrailia.  Brad Black is a GURU of all things Ducati. http://www.bikeboy.org/  He has helped me out many times.

Scott

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 12:35:26 pm
I rode my Bonneville faster than I should have all the tlme, I love the slower pace of the C5. Riding a slow bike fast is more fun than riding a fast bike slow.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 12:56:12 pm
Paraphrasing Colin Chapman - "It's a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow ...."
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 02:21:37 pm
Actually, you might look at an AVL with a front drum brake.  I found myself almost re-learning how to ride;  slowing down a lot and really thinking about where I'm braking, really watching a line happen and looking through turns- very educational.

BUT- I still have my W650.  Occasionally, it's nice to have some real tug, wind the engine out and get it on the pipe, drone on the freeway, etc.
Run what ya brung

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 03:58:39 pm
I'd definitely consider an older model as a second bike, but when I have two bikes one tends to collect dust :(  Same with surf boards, kitchen knives, whatever.  Maybe it's because I'm constantly tinkering and can never leave well enough alone.

Scott

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 11:19:53 pm
Hey Hocko, what's the wind like at 110kph?  Do you have or wish you had a windscreen?

Scott

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 02:47:31 am
Hey Hocko, what's the wind like at 110kph?  Do you have or wish you had a windscreen?

Scott

It's definately on the to do list, quite a bit of buffetting wind wise, wasn't used to it on the other bikes with the small fairings, I get a payout next month, so screen and a decent set of saddle bags

Cheers  ;)

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 04:23:42 pm
Ducati Scotty,
Your commute sounds just like mine.  I have an AVL and the power and speed is great for what I need.  My only issues are a few finicky gremlins that come with AVL's and the fact that it is a second hand bike.  I think the new engine will be perfect for what you need.  The AVL is great, but I could use a tad more reliability since it's a commuter.

Someone else here said it best, "Instead of 80 feeling like 40...." as I'm sure it does on your Monster, "40 feels like 80."  Often I take a peak at my speedo when I think I'm pushing the road's limit and then laugh when I'm actually riding lawfully.  They have a lot of personality at low speed. 

Also, if you liked tinkering with your Duc, you will certainly love this simple little set up.  Should be a breeze in comparison.

When I first got my AVL I wanted to test its limits and a few freeway rides were ok, but the top end power at 65+ mph wasn't super-duper.  I could get enough to get around someone, but that is where it will fall short of your Duc.  The rest of the ride though?... You'll never be bored on a backroad. 

Get ready the attention.  You think people like looking at Monsters.  Keep reading posts here.  I "spied" on these guys for a year before I finally pulled the trigger.  Creepy?  Yes.  But lots and lots of smart folks here that have been through it all.

Good luck.
Boggy
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 04:35:27 pm
Thanks for the feedback.  Yeah, it sounds like a bike that would suit me.  I think I'm trying to recreate the experience of my first moped: simple and fun thumper.  But with the ability to go on the highway if I need to ;)  I'm sure it will get attention, I've only seen one it town here, a military.

Right now I'm talking the wife into going to the shop today.  We're going to be in that part of town shopping later today.

Scott

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 04:51:18 pm
Hey Boggy-

"My only issues are a few finicky gremlins that come with AVL's and the fact that it is a second hand bike.  I think the new engine will be perfect for what you need.  The AVL is great, but I could use a tad more reliability since it's a commuter."

Like what?

Run what ya brung

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 05:02:25 pm
As a former owner of mulitple Ducatis, as well as Laverda and Benelli, and former "Italo-phile", I'd say that it is not a "replacement' as much as it is an "alternative".

They are much different rides.
The main one being that the focus with the Enfield is on the ride along the way, and not so much in the "getting there", if that makes any sense.
With an Enfield, you don't "fly past" everything at high speed, so you get to notice and process what's around you during the ride. You get a different perspective.
It's not "hurried" and you have a very different experience from a ride like this.

IMO, in the modern world of motorcycling, there's too much emphasis on "rapid transit", and not enough emphasis on enjoying the ride. We don't get our biking kicks like an amusement park roller-coaster thrill ride. That's fine for what it is, but we have something different.

Plus, there's nothing like the "thump" and feel of a single.
I spent almost all my motorcycling life on bigger Italian twins and multi-cylinder bikes. It took me a long time before I ever even tried a single, and it was a Bullet.
I never knew what I had been missing.
Now I don't even want any more twins or multis. I'm addicted to singles.
And I can tell you that I notice a very distinct similarity of riding feel between my Bullet and my old 750 Ducati Sport bevel-twin. They both pull hard with good torque and feel solid and controlled. It's that good. It's just that the Bullet has a bit less overall power and speed, but the "feel" is similar.

I think you'll like it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 05:05:30 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 05:51:55 pm
Yup, singles and twins are torquey and raw and I like that too.  Don't know if I'll ever even look at 4 cylinder bikes again.

You've definitely made a point, it is a different experience.  That's part of what I'm looking for.  When I say 'replace' it's just that I only want one bike.  Though I'd like to pretend otherwise I don't really have enough time and space to keep two.

Scott

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 06:34:37 pm
I think that the UCE bridges the gap pretty well between the modern biking needs and the old school retro style.
More so than any of the earlier Bullet models in stock form.

I hot-rodded my old Bullet, because i wanted a bit more "ooomph" than the old stock Bullets had. They are pretty slow in stock form, but they do better with some low-cost mods that most of us here have done. Some people go further than others.

But the UCE has more power in stock form than the older Bullets did.  So it's more lively,  just the way it comes out of the showroom. And the manufacturing precision in the unit engine is very modern now. There are still some little cosmetic issues and some things might still loosen-up or fall off somewhere from vibration, but it's a pretty solid bike as it comes.

Most users seem to like them fine.
Home of the Fireball 535 !