Author Topic: I cannot relate!  (Read 15302 times)

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
on: May 06, 2010, 12:27:56 am
Ive always had old, (or old-er) bikes. Now, I just started a good job in a small and growing company which happens to be across the street from a Suzuki dealer. So, I had to spend part of lunch in the showroom today. Holy bike shit Batman! I cannot believe how porky modern motorcycles have become.

I swung a leg over a "Gladius", (who the F*** thinks up these names?). NIce V-4 motor surrounded in true ugliness - and it seemed to be as wide as my house and had a wheelbase as long as my SUV.
They should have named it the "Porkster".

Next was a 1200 Bandit. Still put too much weight on my arms and the pegs are almost crotch-cannon rearward, even though it is supposed to be a "standard". And even though the wheels are a helluva lot smaller than the Bullet's 19-inchers, it felt like a truck.

Next was a DR650. I entertained the though of a DR 650, (or a Kawasaki KLR650), but I swear, I'll get a nose bleed from that seat height. I could get killed falling off at a stop light from that height.

Even the little 500 4-cylinder felt like it was 4X the size of my RE. I have to get whatever bike up a ramp into a shed. If this is how they're built today, I'm screwed just trying to get it in the door. The friggin soup can mufflers stick out like outriggers on a Hawaiian canoe! What happened to putting the mufflers down low where they belong? Who designs this stuff?

I just can't relate to this new crap. I wanted a new bike next season. Does anyone build anything of sane dimensions? ???
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 12:30:12 am by PaulF »

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 12:51:26 am
A Versys maybe... Except it ugly a a all get out..
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 01:20:49 am
Back in 69 I went from a BSA Firebird to a Honda four. I felt like I was on the back of an elephant.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 01:23:02 am
I discovered the same thing in 08.
       Everything had a mile of plastic on it , like a stage prop for a bad si-fi movie.

Believe it or not, many of the small singles from the 80's are still in production other places.
     The old Honda CB 125, still lives......maybe under a different name, and abroad.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 01:25:01 am
Everything is getting fat-looking.Probly because most folks are fat the designers are trying to give us something to "relate" to.Probly not consiously.

C.C.

• Scooter
  • 1960 Bullet
Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 02:16:40 am
Does anyone build anything of sane dimensions? ???

Triumph bonneville

CC
2006 Bullet Sixty 5
Member: Royal Enfield Association #11

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 02:37:15 am
Totally different motorcycle world today.

I can't relate to it either.

So, I don't try. I stick with what I like.
The Bullet is cooler than the new stuff anyway.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 03:41:41 am
new motorcycles are testerone ..different feels...  My wife gets this motorcycle magazine every month that she hasn't paid for in over 5 years...  and this month had vintage 2 strokes going as high as 9000 ft here in the US... cool read

as far as the new bikes go all price ranges....and since I don't tour any more,,, but then again I have this K75BMW just waiting :P

nothing I have seen has been a ringer for me. with these plastic fantasitcs ???

.even the new RE begs to be bobbered :P

Lahti35

• Currently Enfield-less!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • The Department of Redundancy Deptartment.
Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 04:22:44 am

I swung a leg over a "Gladius", (who the F*** thinks up these names?).  

:D :D :D

You mean the name DOES NOT want to make you buy one????

I know what you mean bro! I Jumped on a buddies Saaaaazuuuuukkkkkkkiiiiiiiiiiiii and felt my hip crack. These modern things need to slim down....oink oink too many twinkies!

I do draw the line at the cupholder..... I'll try any bike one as long as t doesn't have one of those.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 04:26:20 am by Lahti35 »
'03 Ex-Electric start 500....gone but not forgotten...

I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 09:47:33 am
Ah, my favourite subject to moan about! Thank you, Bro. PaulF.

Of course, new bikes are generally sold as playthings rather than everyday transport, so practicallity never gets a look in.

That said, I still can't understand the seat height of those adventure bike super traily things. In the UK, quite a lot of people buy them as a first big bike after taking their driving test because they are not too keen on the only alternative - an ultra-sports plastic crotch rocket. Then they spend six months dropping them in car parks and at traffic lights because the seat is about a foot too high, and the thing weighs in like a grand piano. Once, they would have bought a straightforward street bike, like a Yamaha SR500, and had a nice time getting skilled on it.

The result of our fetish for looking cool at the expense of good ergonomic design is that all the great bikes that could be built never see the light of day.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 03:46:19 pm by Chasfield »
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 02:10:58 pm
amen too all ,of the above!!!!
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 02:17:28 pm
If I was in the market, I would seriously consider a new Moto Guzzi V7 Classic.  Nice, quality and size (and looks).

The Versys is not as bad-looking in person, IMO.  For some reason, I kind of like it.

If you don't need much more power or spped, the new Suzuki TU250X is killer.  I had a hard time decidding between that and the Bullet, actually. 

Sometime (soon?) Ural is coming aout with a solo bike that looks VERY intiguing.  I can't seem to find much info on it now, though.
Run what ya brung

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 02:49:45 pm
I wish Triumph would do a repop of the Trident.I wish I could get a T150.I wish.....I were 30.One is about as likely as the other.I still do 50-100 pushups a day.Not sure why.Not sure why I mention it.Funny thing,I like fat cars.I think I like Sportsters better than the other HDs is because they are so much more narrow looking.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 03:43:08 pm
The guy that I bought my Bullet from had just bought a KLR650 to replace it.
I stood next to that thing, and the first thing that came to my mind was that I'd need a step-ladder to get on it!

I just now went on Google and looked at the Versys.
It has a seat height that a normal person could get on. Maybe a touch high for me, but certainly a fairly normal seat height.
The impression I got from the  photos of the Versys is that it's a styling attempt to vaguely simulate an MV Agusta Brutale. Which is not bad because the Brutale is about as good looking of a modern naked bike as it gets. Of course the Versys isn't exactly like the Brutale, but it takes a swipe at the styling ideas from it, and it reminds me of a "Japanese Brutale" for the financially challenged.
It's probably a nicer and better bike than I initially gave it credit for being at first glance.
If I wanted something like that, I'd save a little more money and buy a nice used MV Brutale, and have the real thing.

I'm biased.
I really can never get over the fact that the Japanese killed the British motorcycle industry, and turned motorcycles into  the grotesque mutants that they are now.
I have never owned any Japanese bike in my entire life.
If you ever see me swing my leg over a Japanese bike, you can shoot me right there, because I've clearly lost my mind and don't deserve to live another second.

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 03:57:21 pm
Just looked over the Versys too. It's okay I guess, but if it had 18 inch wheels and rode two inches lower it would be almost guaranteed to handle better. So, why does it have 17 inch wheels and ride two inches higher?
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 04:08:45 pm
Paul,
Hilarious post.  That was a good read.   You're dead on the money too.

At a recent bike expo I swung my leg over dozens of bikes: street, cruisers, dual, off-road.  Now, I know I'm no giant at 5'8" (5'9" if not hunching), but I did not feel comfortable on the majority of the bikes I sat on.  I know those little MotoGP fellas just have to tuck their legs up at the start and put'm down at the finish, but I need to be able to move a bike comfortably with my legs.

The Triumph Thruxton was much bulkier than expected, while the Bonneville was a surprisingly nice fit.  I do love sport bikes and as stale as the designs are I'm inexplicably drawn to any machine that is built with the purpose of hurtling a human at unreasonable speeds (bikes, cars, space-shuttles).  Some sport bikes look reasonable.  I think the BMW F800S is a pretty sexy machine.

With that said, I do feel that production bike design is generally awful.  The GOOD news is, I feel like I'm seeing more and more custom jobs out there.  Lots of chopped up ugly rides turned into beautiful machines.  The factories can't catch on... but the little man sure as hell can.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 05:53:41 pm
It still amazes me that out of all the motorcycles offered, there is only one that I want to ride. And it's a 500cc one lunger :D
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 10:42:43 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Sam Simons

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 06:30:54 pm
"I cannot believe how porky modern motorcycles have become. "
No porkier than the general public..........lard ass bikes for lard ass owners...it fits.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 06:52:56 pm
If I was in the market, I would seriously consider a new Moto Guzzi V7 Classic.  Nice, quality and size (and looks).

If you don't need much more power or speed, the new Suzuki TU250X is killer.  I had a hard time deciding between that and the Bullet, actually.  

I like Suzuki TU250 too, it is younger sibling of RE. It is very good looking bike and great quality work.  Triumph Bonneville is very nice.  Ducati GT1000 looks good.

After reading about Versys, I saw it in person - did not like it at all.  Way too high seat, like riding a camel !  Skinny body like a dirt bike. We RE guys are obsiously biased !  ;)

« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 06:56:05 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 11:51:31 pm
A little earlier in this thread, "single" brought up the sportster, and I couldn't help remembering wanting to buy one when I was stationed in Korea in the 80s. They had a HD dealer on the base and the prices were great. I thought the 883 was a bit overweight for such a small bike (474 lbs). I couldn't figure out where they hid all those pounds. Now, the same bike is about 100 pounds heavier, and I'm baffled. Where the heck is the weight? Did they pour lead into the frame tubes? At almost 600 lbs wet, the smallest HD weighs more now that a full-size 1948 Indian Chief.

Cruisers are supposed to mimic the bob and chop jobs owners used to do to their own rides. These mods were done to make them lighter and more responsive. Now they just keep getting bigger and bigger. Do we need a campaign to fight motorcycle obesity?

The scary part is that manufacturers are advertising 900cc, 600 lbs cruisers as suitable for beginners. Same thing with over-powered sport bikes billed as good first bikes. My wife wouldn't give me as hard of a time about my hobby if dealers would just stop killing inexperienced riders.

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: May 07, 2010, 01:37:45 am
For some reason, I've been having this conversation a lot recently.

The Versys is about the only modern Japanese bike that I actually like the looks of (in person; photographs are way different). I'm tall, with very long arms, so I prefer a taller bike like that. The most naturally fitting bikes for me are the BMW R1200GS, Versys, Suzuki V-STROM (despite being so ugly it should be illegal), and of course the Bullet. The DR 650 and KLR 650 feel pretty natural to sit on and stand over, but I'm just not into the dirtbike aesthetic.

In the years that I pined for a bike before owning one, I went to many dealerships and shows, and sat on a lot of bikes, and thought they all looked grotesquely oversized but fit way too small. It was the weirdest thing. Even the large Harleys, which I appreciate in a detached sort of way, felt too cramped for me. I love the Sportster customs with the big gas tanks, but Christ, I don't think I could ride one for more than 30 minutes before getting off to massage my tailbone or stretch my legs.

It was interesting to go to the motorcycle show after getting the Bullet. I was curious to see what I would think of all those bikes being on the other side of ownership, and boy was I convinced I made the right decision -- on ergonomics, looks, and price.

Man, I love this bike.

But I think Ducati GT1000 Sport Classic is positively a work of art. I couldn't take my eyes off of the red one with a white racing stripe and brown leather at the motorcycle show in 2007. A plus-size, gratuitously powered piece of art, but a piece of art nonetheless.

Jeff

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #21 on: May 07, 2010, 01:45:44 am
Well gentlemen, I think as far as new bikes go, Triumph's come as close as you can get for us "traditionalists".  There a few things I don't like about them. The biggest thing is the shooort stroke of the new Triumphs. I hate revvy.

But the pros outweigh the cons. For instance, I like the injectors disguised as carbs. Nice touch. I like a tube steel perimeter frame, the way God intended it. I like mufflers where they belong - next to the swingarm and not up my ass! Most uncomfortable, you know. I also like the seating position, one where you are not required to be a contortionist. I like an upright, air-cooled twin. I like British, (I'll try and overlook the fact that they're now built in Indonesia. But hey, look where our British-esque REs are built).

Overall, I think my next ride will be a new Bonneville. I like the SE with the alloy wheels and nice two-tone blue & white.

Yup maw, I'm  a goin' to Triumph. Asia can keep doin' what it's doin'. It aint for me.

Bullet.wagon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: May 07, 2010, 02:55:49 am
Manufactuers are giving what most people want- huge steroidal bikes.I was raised with smaller stuff. I would try a KLR 650 but everytime I take a second look it just does'nt appeal. I seem to find comfort more and more with vintage.
2005 RE Military
2000 RE 350

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: May 07, 2010, 03:31:04 am
Yeah,the Nips stopped the Limey bikes cold.No doubt in my mind that this was done purposely.And now they have about done the same for the U.S. auto industry.I am so happy to see Toyota stumble.Hope they end up ok,just gone.Sorry,retired G.M. If G.M. goes Ole "single" loses his pension.Guaranteed by the guvment,of course,if there is any money left.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: May 07, 2010, 02:32:29 pm
Everyone stumbles from time to time. Toyota will be around a long time, after all GM engineered them, monied them at first, and Toyota took the lessons and ran with it.

I think GM has a chance at recovery, but sure needs to change it's ways to compete with the rest of the world. Just not enough people wanting muscle cars these days. Nice to look at, fun to think of the 'olden days'. Just won't get you far anymore.

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #25 on: May 07, 2010, 05:30:02 pm
I can not relate to the "new" trend in motorcycles either. When I went looking for a bike four years ago, all that I could find were the "Sport Bikes" (Sport also being a term for a genetic mutation.) and the bikes for those who should wear "I wish I could afford a Harley" T-shirts.  I had been spoiled by an estimated 500k miles on various 60's 70's vintage Hondas, and my beloved Triumph Bonneville.  All of the new bikes required that the rider either lay down over the Tank, with his feet in the air behind him, or Recline on his back with his feet out in front,  I can not imagine how one would control a motorcycle in either such position.  Thank God Royal Enfield was still making the old Bullet ! I Love mine, (still miss the Bonneville.)
1972 Honda CB 450 Rufus, Murdered
1978 Triumph T-140 E, Sadly gone
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe Iron head, " Old Bill"
1971 Honda CB-100,"Kikuchiyo"-traded
O Day 20 Sailboat "Tempus Fugative"
1992 Mazda Miata "Lady Murisaki"250,00miles!
Too many Toys, what else is retirement for?

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #26 on: May 07, 2010, 09:49:39 pm
What's with these repulsive headlight shapes on new naked bikes? Ducati have ruined the otherwise stunning Monster with it and it seems to be found everywhere except Enfields.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: May 07, 2010, 10:51:41 pm
Oh man are you right about that! Absolutely horrible looking.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: May 08, 2010, 08:19:52 am
And not cheap to replace if you get a stone through it.

Ducatis used to look all unified and purposeful. Those new models are just a contradictory mass of curves and bolt on mouldings. Those Ducati designers really lost their nerve the last time they went to Japan to see what the opposition was doing.

And I have seen nicer looking exhaust pipes on industrial generators.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 08:38:11 am by Chasfield »
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: May 08, 2010, 02:07:49 pm
And not cheap to replace if you get a stone through it.

Ducatis used to look all unified and purposeful. Those new models are just a contradictory mass of curves and bolt on mouldings. Those Ducati designers really lost their nerve the last time they went to Japan to see what the opposition was doing.

And I have seen nicer looking exhaust pipes on industrial generators.

Massimo Tamburini made Ducati what it was during the 1990s. He designed the 916, which was the seminal bike for all their World Superbike domination thru the decade, beginning with the 916,then the 996, and then the 998. All of them were based on Tamburini designs.
Then Tamburini left Ducati to design for MV Agusta. He designed the F4 and the Brutale.
Ducati was left with Tamburini's student, Pierre Terblanche, who might be talented, but he ain't Tamburini.

Tamburini is the man. Since 1980, Bimota, Ducati, MV Agusta, in their primes were all Tamburini.
Who can follow Tamburini? Nobody. They just copy him.

StephenCB

• Bulleteer
  • I finally own one!
Reply #30 on: May 12, 2010, 06:09:19 pm
Is it just me, or does the Kawasaki Versys look a lot like the Buell Blast?

Kawasaki Versys

Buell Blast

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #31 on: May 15, 2010, 05:55:19 am
I briefly considered the Versys in the fall of 2008, but two things turned me off, the huge tank and the denial of a test ride (Can you imagine? Not even for used bikes!)

Instead I drove to Seattle and walked into Moto International where I was told I could test ride any bike on the floor.

I drove away that day with a NOS 2007 750 Breva (The Classic hadn't hit our shores yet but I was really impressed with the ride, the motor and the sound, thus I went for it!) I am still holding my breath for a black V7 Classic and (as the picture below will attest) I also test rode the Guzzi V7 Cafe last October.

Folks, don't write Guzzi off. I hear a lot about the Triumph and our beloved Enfield but for a trim traditional ride, check out the V7.

BTW, I love my Bullet and my Breva. The Breva's ergos are very comfortable, not like the "sports" ergos. And tho' she's "modern", I don't have to look at her when I ride. I just ride. :O)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 06:01:37 am by jest2dogs »
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #32 on: May 15, 2010, 07:41:19 pm
I just went to a kick-ass classic bike show three miles from my house last weekend, (saw my very first real live in-the-flesh Vincent BTW. '48 Rapide). Anyway, all the maufacturers were there with their new "retro" offerings. Guzzi was there with the V7 Clasic and the V7 Cafe. Nice. Would not mind owning the Classic. The only thing is 45HP. Thats really not in the tradition of a real V7. The plastic tank had its advantages. Dent-resistent, won't rust, etc., but it wasn't quite for me. I also read that they still have quality issues, but since my LeMans was a 1980, I'm sure they are much improved by now.

Next was Harley and the XR1200 , (or was it XL) standard thingy. Also nice, but chunky - and expensive.

Once again, the winners, at least in my book, were the Triumph Bonneville T100 and SE. Mega sweet. Look British. Sound British. Priced right for a brand new motorcycle. Small enough to be un-intimidating with 66HP. There was adealer there, had a brand new Bonnville black with dented and scratched tank for something like $4,999. Good thing I didn't have my check book.

And you know, the damndest thing. There wasn't one freakin Bullet in that whole show and I had to park mine three blocks away. Next year - if I still have it.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 12:36:51 am by PaulF »

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #33 on: May 17, 2010, 09:34:15 am
Paul F,

The 750 cc Moto Guzzi engine is rated at 48 HP and has more than enough oomph to push it over a ton. Cruising at 70 -80 mph is no problem. The engine loves to rev. That's what my wife and I found last fall on a 1,200 mile trip. Why is everybody horsepower crazy?
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: May 19, 2010, 06:03:35 am
  The Suzuki Gladius is a 650cc V-Twin, and not a V-Four. Suzuki doesn't make a 500cc four cylinder-I wonder if the original poster may have meant the GS500F?

Yes, the Sportster is a bit of a pig. They gained something like 80 pounds in 2004 when they went from the solid mount engine, to the new rubber mount one. The redesigned the frame that year. I  Have a 2006 XL883 and keep thinking about getting an older solid mount. They are much lighter and have the trap door trans (which, by the way the Kawasaki Versys/650Ninja/ER6N also have a version of).Meaning if your trans developes a problem, you don't have to split the cases for access-just remove an engine cover and pull the gear cluster etc out.

I also admire the new Suzuki TU250 as a fairly simple, honest street thumper.

I put like 15,000 miles on a 2005 Kawasaki KLR650, and they are just a dam good do it all motorcycle. Think the KLR650 is high? Try a Honda XR650L (37" seat heigth). I like my Yamaha XT225 dual sport. 75-95 mpg and not too high.

The Moto Guzzi 750 Breva looks like another great, honest motorcycle. I also like the new Bonnevilles and test rode one right after they came out.

I would also not mind a Suzuki S40. Looks like a nice platform to build a cafe bike from.
   jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #35 on: May 19, 2010, 06:26:50 pm
  The Suzuki Gladius is a 650cc V-Twin, and not a V-Four. Suzuki doesn't make a 500cc four cylinder-I wonder if the original poster may have meant the GS500F?

I dunno what that 500 was as it was cloaked in plastic bodywork. I can't keep up with the new stuff. I felt like an alien from another planet in the Suzuki showroom.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #36 on: May 21, 2010, 11:56:09 pm
. Why is everybody horsepower crazy?

jest2dogs I will have to venture the guess that most others are caught up in a keep up with the jones's type horsepower war.

I think they are missing out on a lot in the process of one upping.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #37 on: May 22, 2010, 02:20:56 pm
jest2dogs I will have to venture the guess that most others are caught up in a keep up with the jones's type horsepower war.

I think they are missing out on a lot in the process of one upping.

Has nothing to do with being horsepower crazy. If that were true, why are we riding REs, the most under-powered full-size motorcycles in the universe, (aside from from some two-stroke, Eastern block things). If that were true, why do I have the hots for a 66 HP Bonneville, when I could buy some JapCo 600 that has 100 HP?

Horsepower is like a gun. You may never need it, but it's nice to have some now and then. Especially in places like Rt78, NJ Turnpike or the Parkway. Anyone who lives in central Jersey knows exactly what I mean.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 02:24:33 pm by PaulF »

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: May 24, 2010, 02:06:54 am
I grew up with Bonnevilles and BSA's and always thought they were the ideal size.
I just checked some specs:
my '72 Bonneville-382 Lbs
2009 Guzzi V7- 401 lbs
2010 Bonneville-495 lbs.

650 Bonneville 47 HP
V7-46? HP
New Bonneville- 66HP

A lot of the other specs show the V7 to be closest to the classic Bonneville.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #39 on: May 25, 2010, 12:54:57 am
Has nothing to do with being horsepower crazy. If that were true, why are we riding REs, the most under-powered full-size motorcycles in the universe, (aside from from some two-stroke, Eastern block things). If that were true, why do I have the hots for a 66 HP Bonneville, when I could buy some JapCo 600 that has 100 HP?

Horsepower is like a gun. You may never need it, but it's nice to have some now and then. Especially in places like Rt78, NJ Turnpike or the Parkway. Anyone who lives in central Jersey knows exactly what I mean.

I didn't mean us R.E. owners. I was referring to the personality types who judge each others merits (or perceived lack thereof ) on material possession.

Somewhere right now there are probably two or more people sipping lattes and comparing their dyno charts.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
  • And on the eighth day, God said...."Let's Ride."
Reply #40 on: June 02, 2010, 03:31:17 pm
Next was a 1200 Bandit. Still put too much weight on my arms and the pegs are almost crotch-cannon rearward, even though it is supposed to be a "standard". And even though the wheels are a helluva lot smaller than the Bullet's 19-inchers, it felt like a truck.
...but those bandits are wicked...throughout the entire power band. taller handlebars and a higher shield is recommended for the bandit (and the yami counterpart FZ1)
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: June 02, 2010, 03:37:40 pm
For some reason, I've been having this conversation a lot recently.

The Versys is about the only modern Japanese bike that I actually like the looks of (in person; photographs are way different). I'm tall, with very long arms, so I prefer a taller bike like that.
i like tall bikes too. i was hung up on shorter bikes in the past, but they're just not as comfortable on a trip. my favorite metric is the 2010 yami FZ1 in red (looks good in pix and in person!). i'm thinking i may buy one next winter during year-end closeouts.
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #42 on: June 02, 2010, 09:24:00 pm
Well, my RE is officially for sale now. And I still don't know what I want to replace it. I won't pay new bike prices for something I only ride about 1,000 miles / year. So, I'm going back to Jap. Cheap used. Rock-solid reliable. Ample parts supply. Plenty of choices.

Maybe:
-1100 Virago
-V45 or V65 Magna, (I really do love Honda - and I drive one).
-CX650, (if I can find one mint).
-ST1100 (if I can find one priced right)
-Kawasaki Concourse

Or something else that looks interesting. Maybe water-cooled, maybe not. I'm lookin'  ???

Jinx

• Here we go again!
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #43 on: June 03, 2010, 05:04:11 am
 Y'all remember the Kaw w650??  Now that was a good looking bike to be Jap. Why did it die here in the US? Because we are taught excess is good. Striped down and lean in alot of minds mean cheap or lacking.  Damn shame.
 The Triumph cafe is a hot lil number but it needs to go on a diet too.
 Don't even get me going on that over weight turd they're calling a "Sportster" over at the HD cathedral. Gawd damn. Compare it to a "real" sportster from the 60s-70s.
 Have you noticed "retro" is red hot today. New"old" Mustang,new"old"Challenger,VV "bug" etc. Motorcycle mfg need to wake up and offer a little more old school bikes. I'm holding out for a 1946 HD Knucklehead or 741 Indian scout. 8)  I retire in 3 yrs and I'm giving myself a retirement gift! ;D 
What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

2 ways to get to the top of a tree. Sit on an acorn or start climbing!

2008 RE Classic Deluxe
1990 HD FXST-C
1970 HD XLCH
1942 HD WLA
& probably enough parts lying around to make another bike. LOL!

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: June 03, 2010, 03:04:10 pm
So, I'm going back to Jap. Cheap used. Rock-solid reliable. Ample parts supply. Plenty of choices.
I love my '82 zuki gs. An associate just bought the yami version '82 for $600. Looks and runs great. You can find deals like these, then find a good forum. Carb re-builds and valve adjustments are sometimes necessary for these older bikes but are simple with a feeler gauge and a $10 shim tool. When you adjust the valves on these inline fours, they stay adjusted until the next 4k checkup.

The Viragos were terrific. Yami widened and lengthened the stroke and now they're v-stars. Wifey decided on a v-star 650 over the RE c5 because of my 'undependable' classic. She found an '08 in Sumter with 900 miles this spring for around $4k. Well below blue book, so we snagged it. You couldn't go wrong with either yami. I like inline 4's the most, but they run best at high revs.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 04:34:34 am by rideOn »
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #45 on: June 03, 2010, 06:35:58 pm
I agree. There is an '84 Virago for sale near me for $1,800 and its mint with 11,000 miles. I have to get rid of one before I can snag the other.

I've had 4-cylinders before and like them, but I don't want revvy and peaky from short stroke engines anymore. One of the few 4's that I would grab if one came along, is the Kawasaki 900 Eliminator. Cruiser with a Ninja motor, liquid cooling and shaft drive. They were made for only two years, so good luck to me in ever finding one.

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: June 03, 2010, 07:39:33 pm
They were made for only two years, so good luck to me in ever finding one.
see if you can find a forum on that bike. somebody may be selling one
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: June 04, 2010, 04:02:32 am
Br. Paulie, I join Br. Jinx in suggesting the Kawasaki W650 as a bike you ought to consider for your next purchase!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #48 on: June 05, 2010, 12:14:35 am
Br. Paulie, I join Br. Jinx in suggesting the Kawasaki W650 as a bike you ought to consider for your next purchase!

Juan, yeah, I'm looking. Seems all the bikes I ever liked, weren't made for too long. Like the Yamaha TDM 850. Made for about 2 years? Kawasaki Eliminator - 2 years. Yamaha Fazer. Maybe 3? V65 Sabre. Maybe 3? And the W650. Made for 3 perhaps?

And the folks who have them, and think that they're rare and valuable, want a million bucks for them. And, as per my original post, I really can't relate to much made these days.

Good thing is, there are a trillion used motorcycles around, (check Craigslist), so looking is half the fun. Bad news is, I'm not making another mistake, so I might be looking till next year. :D

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #49 on: June 05, 2010, 12:51:23 pm
bike lust arrrgh i got it. but i bought another enfield  a 2000  i could'nt pass it up . the po did a lot to it . stage two head , perfrrmance cams ,exhaust ,boyer ig.,solo seat , bullet turn signals , chrome battery box. right hand shift . bought it from a dealer that was no longer handeling enfields . so i got every thing else  in stock ...contintenal tank ,rear sets an extra head two goldie exhausts and all the stock  stuff off the bike i bought. plus the dealers sign , boxes more . what am i gonna do with this stuff? i know i'll get another enfield and make a continental.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: June 05, 2010, 11:56:35 pm
I got a a smokin' deal on an 05 Suzuki S40 for you.
Iron Butt Association

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #51 on: June 06, 2010, 12:13:39 am
I got a a smokin' deal on an 05 Suzuki S40 for you.

I didn't even know what that was. I had to look it up.

Thanks, but I'm done with the single-cylinder thing.

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: June 06, 2010, 05:49:01 am
I didn't even know what that was. I had to look it up.
the s 40's are tanks. it's a zuki, afterall. but i'm with you, no more singles. like i said before, i like the inline 4's the best. it's going to have to be a great deal or a very special bike for me to do anything else.

good luck finding the bike that fits YOU. it's going to be your bike, not ours
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #53 on: June 06, 2010, 04:10:43 pm
good luck finding the bike that fits YOU. it's going to be your bike, not ours
[/quote]

So many bikes, so little cash.  :-\  I saw a guy ride by on another model I have a soft spot for and totally forgot about. It was an '83 Honda CX650. It was a liquid-cooled V twin ala Guzzi.  They had a sound like a Ducati. Another novel innovation was very short pushrods. So you can have a high-revving push-rod twin. Leave it to Honda.

Honda built a gazillion CX 500's but only made the 650 for one year before production ceased. They also built a CX650 Turbo but they are as hard to find as an honest politician. :P

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: June 06, 2010, 04:16:55 pm
as you cypher on your list of 'maybe's' find good forums for each bike and see if they have a 'for sale' thread. you never know, one might start calling your name...at a great deal.
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic