Author Topic: End of an era - It's official now  (Read 33939 times)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
on: December 17, 2007, 03:35:26 pm
Well it is official now!!  Please read the memo that I got from the factory over the weekend;

Dear Sirs,
This is to bring to your kind notice that we will be discontinuing export production of the 500cc cast iron engine series on the Royal Enfield Bullet with effect from Feb 2008. Beyond that date, we will only produce the Lean Burn and the EFI engines.

We now wish to take orders from all importers for the last production batch of the 500cc which will happen in Jan / Feb 2008. We request you to please plan your requirements and place your orders on us latest by the 20th of December for production in Jan / Feb 2008. Thank you.

The last cast iron engine Bullets will be made in February and that will be the end of this iconic engine. The roots of this engine go back over 70 years and it is the longest running production of any motorcycle or auto engine ever. We are in the process of placing our order for the last of these VERY COLLECTIBLE bikes now. We have a few left now and will get a final batch, but that will be that. The Classic models will survive as you know them now with the Lean-Burn engine in them so the great Classic look will not change. Only a few countries still allow the importation of this engine, with the US being one of them. Unfortunately our importer friends in Europe are unable to supply any more of these so we will get the very last of them.

You are the first to see this historic memo from the factory. Plan accordingly

« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 03:37:46 pm by Royal Enfield 1 »
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 03:44:23 pm
A sad day, which I know many were hoping wouldn't really come.  On the other hand, an Enfield Classic with Avl is going to be right up many rider's aleys ::).  I just hope it doesn't have the moniker "Machismo" anywhere on the bike.  I'm sure it's a valid name in India, where it's a big bike compared with most, but would seem rather silly over here.  I might have to get one of the AVL Classics,  I like the traditinal look of the motor , with it's benefits, but just don't reall fancy the styling of the Electra.
  Just my opinion, but a Classic AVL sounds like a winner to me, although it would be nice if the iron motor could live on too, can't have it all ways it would seem.

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 06:58:44 pm
I'm new to Royal Enfield, but it does seem sad that something that's been in successful production for 60 years would have to be discontinued.

I will be buying an RE early next year.  My wife love the styling of the Classic as do I.  But, the more refined engine seems to me (a noobie) to be a good thing.  I just don't care for the Electra styling near as much.  So it seems this latest announcement fits right into what I want most - a Classic with an AVL engine, for me it's the best of both worlds.
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 10:29:34 pm
The Machismo is one of those things they should teach business school studens about when it comes to cross cultural marketing. If fits well in India an would be considered bizarre in the US. We won't see it here at all.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 11:06:00 pm
I would hope you're right there.  Looks like just the bike many are looking for, I'm guessing that R.E. will keep the Bullet name in some form for the bike?

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 02:56:27 am
Ironically, I will not be able to buy the 500cc classic iron engine bike in India, they do not sell it in the local market anymore - for a year now. I gotta find a way to rock the boats in RE India to get one by some special dispensation before they stop making it. Hey, Kevin, any thoughts on what I need to do to get myself the classic in India?!
If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing well

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 04:11:06 am
Buying a cast iron 500 in India will be very difficult. You may find some 535' s around that were sold for a while in India or one of the very few 500's. Your only other choice is to get a converted 500 (from a 240), but then what it the point?
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 06:22:25 am
As I posted elsewhere  - the world is going bad fast. I don't know why, it is just a progression towards what none of us will enjoy.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
  • Use Small Words - I'm an Engineer
Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 12:24:01 pm
Bummer. Sad day.

I wonder if that'll make my 07 a "classic" in a few years! Heck, its already a classic. I'm just glad I didn't put off buying mine for another year. I bought in May of this year, but almost postponed it. Good job I didn't I guess. I'm afraid without the original internals, it will be just another retro bike, rather a 'real' classic bike. Time will tell I suppose.

Thanks for the update Kevin.
2007 Military 500ES. 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 04:44:39 pm
I hear what you say will not be possible in India, Kevin, and I am not ready to give up just yet! After all if they can send the bike to a customer in the US, why can they not make an exception at the end of the production run for one in India?
Lots of things to try to beat the system, including ordering it on CMW, and asking you to ask RE India to ship it to me here! Can't you quote me a price excluding shipping to the US, and the cost of any mods you do to the bike in the US when you get it from the factory before delivery to your customers?! Might be fun to ask RE to do it and get them in a logical bind, if there is not another way around this!

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 04:47:09 pm
Kevin, if you are able to, can you also share with us just what it is that you do in the US to the bikes that are shipped to you before you sell them there - this may be of interest to others on the forum as well, for other reasons than mine.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 12:33:10 am
Will the remaining bullets increase in price?
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

C.C.

• Scooter
  • 1960 Bullet
Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 04:53:54 pm
Will the remaining bullets increase in price?

My Bullet just went up in value. When the last new cast iron Bullet is sold it will go up even more. I bought this bike not because it is a new bike built to look retro but it is the real deal. The whole point to vintage is to show your skills dealing with a carb or points. Keeping the engine running at top level because you tune it well. I hope they continue to sell the Bullet with whatever engine they feel the need to put on it but also sell the iron engine so we can change it out.

Chris
2006 Bullet Sixty 5
Member: Royal Enfield Association #11

prof_stack

Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 07:32:06 pm
Increase in value?

Perhaps they will.  But when I asked the president of an active local vintage motorcycle club about Royal Enfield of India, he quickly said they are P.O.S.  I don't think he meant "Pieces of Superiority."   ;D

This club's monthly meetings usually has old thumper iron from Norton, Velocette, Matchless, AJS, BSA, etc.  Most of these bikes are lovingly cared for.

My take is that RE will continue to be seen as an oddity in the modern motorcycle world except for us old guys and some soon-to-be-old guys.  Perhaps the UCE will change that.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 08:15:43 pm
Iwhat I meant to say was will the remaining NEW bullets go up in price?
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.