Author Topic: End of an era - It's official now  (Read 33795 times)

HMR

• Scooter
Reply #30 on: December 28, 2007, 09:28:22 am
    I believe I've heard that there is a law in India that they must have parts available for a vehicle produced there for either 10 or 15 years after production stops. Maybe someone else can confirm this?

jon

Don't know about the law, but the sheer number of Enfields in India will continue to support the spare parts industry for many, many years to come. Enfield too makes a lot money through authorised spares, so I guess there won't be worries on that front

HMR
Mumbai
RE 350 Electra
RE 535

prof_stack

Reply #31 on: December 28, 2007, 04:56:10 pm
With so many riders being in their 50's and beyond I think there might be more worry about parts being available for our bodies than for the classic RE!   :D

bill440cars

• Scooter
Reply #32 on: December 28, 2007, 05:50:32 pm
With so many riders being in their 50's and beyond I think there might be more worry about parts being available for our bodies than for the classic RE!   :D

Good Point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Later on, Bill :) ;)

LJRead

Reply #33 on: December 29, 2007, 01:00:59 am

I appreciate Kevin's remarks and his resentment over negative remarks made about Enfields (P.O.S.).  If you watch the marketplace, you see a lot of Triumphs, BSAs and even Nortons for sale, but hardly any early Royal Enfields, nor later ones for that matter.  Over the months I've been involved I have gotten the impression that in their day, when traditional British bikes were still being produced, Enfield was a class act.  Since it has been improved since those days, it would be, from a technical viewpoint, even more of value today.  Collectors are an odd lot, many have to have a superiority complex or they wouldn't place such value on collecting antiques.  Sure there are collectors among us here, but of bikes they value and not necessarily to realize a profit or to boost their egos.  There is a big difference between having something you like because you like it and having something because others place a high value on it. One is enjoyable, the other just ego.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: December 29, 2007, 01:15:08 am
I'd be willing to bet that when production ends for the traditional Bull, the vintage guys will start to warm up to the RE. The idea of a true vintage machine that is still being produced is something they can't quite get a grip on. But, when they look at the bike, post production, and see a machine that has outlived all others, they may change their minds. Shouldn't make a difference, but with some people, it does.

charte

• Bulleteer
  • Whether you think you can or can't, you're right.
Reply #35 on: January 21, 2008, 10:22:28 am
Just a note on the price increase of $200.

The Rupee has appreciated almost 15% against the dollar since last year.

That means that prices should have increased 15% just to RE in India gets the same income, and it doesn't factor in inflation, increased labor costs (getting crazy here), etc.

Effectively, the small increase means that RE is absorbing much of the forex hit and other rising costs.

Just giving you guys the view from here.  It's actually incredibly fair, and I commend them for this.
1969 Bullet
2007 Triumph Rocket III Classic
2017 Moto Guzzi VII Special

deejay

Reply #36 on: January 21, 2008, 04:20:11 pm
There is a big difference between having something you like because you like it and having something because others place a high value on it. One is enjoyable, the other just ego.

BINGO

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
  • Use Small Words - I'm an Engineer
Reply #37 on: January 21, 2008, 05:17:15 pm

There is a big difference between having something you like because you like it and having something because others place a high value on it. One is enjoyable, the other just ego.

Awww, nuts! Does that mean my Enfield isn't going to be worth $30,000 in five years?
2007 Military 500ES. 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #38 on: January 22, 2008, 06:06:56 am
Saw this on the "other" Enfield site;  anyone know what this is? 

Looks llike Royal Enfield already ended one Unit Constuction Era?

[old attachment deleted by admin]

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
Reply #39 on: January 22, 2008, 01:24:48 pm
I'm not sure what bike that is, but I know their 250cc single bikes had a unit construction in the late 50's and early 60's.

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #40 on: January 22, 2008, 04:02:24 pm
Well, it's sure a litle sweetie, nice, clean and to the point.

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #41 on: January 22, 2008, 04:45:52 pm
BanditRE is correct. It is either a 250 Clipper, or Crusader from the late 50's or early 60's. It has the early seat, and late gas tank.    Hutch
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
Reply #42 on: January 23, 2008, 03:02:10 am
BanditRE is correct. It is either a 250 Clipper, or Crusader from the late 50's or early 60's. It has the early seat, and late gas tank.    Hutch

Sometimes, even I get one right!

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #43 on: February 03, 2008, 12:27:53 am
The new Bullet Lean-Burn should be available from dealers toward the end of Janruary. I do take offense about the POS remark,(from the person who spoke not from prof_stack) it shows the ignorance of the club member you talked to. I would hold a current RE up against any of the Brit bikes mentioned when they were new. Back in the day, most any Brit bike was a "work in progress", it took a lot of care, fooling around with etc. to get them in the shape that they are today. There was most likely never one made that didn't leak from the factory. Any restored bike you see now is typically grossly over restored compared to how they really were coming out of the crate back then. To be sure the RE has all of the issues that come with 1950's technology, but the materials, machining etc are vastly superior to the reality of bikes back in the 1940's and 1950's. It is easy to only remember how beautiful they were (are) and forget how fussy they actually were. If you are ever able to talk to someone who actually sold them back then you will get the same story.
Yeah Kevin, I don't like that POS remark either. The fit and finish on my RE is equal to that of my BMWs and it runs great. But I have had many British bikes and did not find them fiddly at all. Once everything was set up right it stayed that way for as long as I owned the bikes. Except my Trident which required adjusting the valves every time I ran it past the ton........Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

DaveG297

• Bulleteer
Reply #44 on: February 04, 2008, 10:00:50 pm
WOW  I finally got a collectible.    Heck, I'm collectible and so is Hutch I bet.  Keep it and we might finally git rich.   Progress doesn't bother me as long as it has two wheels and u can sit on it.............dg :D