Author Topic: End of an era - It's official now  (Read 33796 times)

Jerry

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 12:14:10 am
Any idea when we can order/purchase/take delivery of a Classic with the AVL?

Jerry.

prof_stack

Reply #16 on: December 20, 2007, 12:35:42 am
I believe the 2008's have a $200 price increase across the board.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 03:35:49 pm
The new Bullet Lean-Burn should be available from dealers toward the end of Janruary. I do take offense about the POS remark,(from the person who spoke not from prof_stack) it shows the ignorance of the club member you talked to. I would hold a current RE up against any of the Brit bikes mentioned when they were new. Back in the day, most any Brit bike was a "work in progress", it took a lot of care, fooling around with etc. to get them in the shape that they are today. There was most likely never one made that didn't leak from the factory. Any restored bike you see now is typically grossly over restored compared to how they really were coming out of the crate back then. To be sure the RE has all of the issues that come with 1950's technology, but the materials, machining etc are vastly superior to the reality of bikes back in the 1940's and 1950's. It is easy to only remember how beautiful they were (are) and forget how fussy they actually were. If you are ever able to talk to someone who actually sold them back then you will get the same story.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #18 on: December 20, 2007, 05:13:43 pm
I agree 100%. I had a few of them (old britbikes) and if anything I think th RE's are on par or better. I suspect the comment came from someone who never had to live with an "original".I believe the poor quality was one thing on a laundry list of reasons why the "originals" went out of business.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

prof_stack

Reply #19 on: December 20, 2007, 05:33:01 pm
I agree.  Also am looking forward to seeing an '08 Bullet AVL!  Might just have to jump in by Springtime and get thumpin' again.

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: December 20, 2007, 07:35:56 pm
Price increase of $200 bucks?  Are they crazy?
How much has the price of home heating oil gone up, just in the past few months. Diesel fuel?  Bunker fuel (ship's fuel?). 
I surprised the price doesn't go up another $1000.00.  Ocean shipping  is one of the
big bargains in the transportation industry, but the rates are set in large part by the cost of fuel.  (Labor they can adjust accordingly and quickly, as I can personally attest).
I think these Royal Enfields' are one of the big bargains of the motorcycle world.
I think the UCE is a step in the evolutionary cycle, and rather than the end of an era, is the continuation thereof.
I just wish they would lengthen the frame out a few inches.  Buyt I can do that myself.

The fuddy-duddies that sniffle about the quality of the Enfields, and maintaining the purity of the British Iron bloodline are the same uprights who refuse to imbibe anything other than French sparkling wine,  (oops, I mean champagne!)!!

Oh yeah,when their PC misfires, do they think customer tech support is in Liverpool, or Berwick-upon-Tweed?  Bangalore, baby!!!

Steve, former owner of 1967 Bonne

p.s.  For the record, a good Stilton is, and will continue to be, one of the finest cheeses in the world.  Really.

prof_stack

Reply #21 on: December 20, 2007, 08:34:33 pm
p.s.  For the record, a good Stilton is, and will continue to be, one of the finest cheeses in the world.  Really.

Everyone knows a good Wisconsin cheddar is better!   ;D

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: December 20, 2007, 08:43:42 pm
I am very fond of Wenslydale, and Caerfilly in cheeses, but true..  a really good Stilton is hard to beat..

and, don't it suck that most tech departments are now in Poland, China and India. crazy.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: December 20, 2007, 09:18:55 pm
Agree with comments from our "Administrator" re. comments on the Indian built Enfield motorcycle...These bikes have been around a long time. If anything they have been improved upon while maintaining their basic configuration ( As far as I know, Indian Enfield is the longest production bike ever made) ...One can only assume that collectors of the British version of bike are proud and have spent considerable time and money in restoration and maintenace of their machines...I can understand their diligence in maintaining the status quo of collectable machines...We all appreciate the value that these machines bring to the motorcycling world but at the same time, one wonder if these same type of comments were the butt of jokes when the Japan influence shook the motorcycling world. and the same irrelevant comments were made on British bikes of that era..  I like the Enfields for what they are...Change was inevitable...I will wait n see what comes forth..Hope to c u all the D.C Convention center in early January for the bike show...cheers.. 
Oh Magoo you done it again

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: December 22, 2007, 12:46:17 am

Everyone knows a good Wisconsin cheddar is better!   ;D
Now now, everyone knows that Cheddar cheese comes from Cheddar, not Wisconsin!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 12:48:00 am by exiledcarper »

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: December 22, 2007, 02:56:27 am
That is very true - I have eaten real cheddar, in the Cheddar Gorge, in Britain. It tasted totally unlike any I have tasted in the US.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
Reply #26 on: December 22, 2007, 02:37:30 pm
I think the UCE is a step in the evolutionary cycle, and rather than the end of an era, is the continuation thereof.

I think that's a very insightful comment, from Stipa.  And I like what it says about the Indian Enfield company.  To break away from the old iron engine is a gutsy move that demonstrates to me a determination to be competitive in the market place with solid technology while not sacrificing their values regarding product.
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

SRL790

• Grease Monkey
  • 1954 350
Reply #27 on: December 23, 2007, 06:03:24 pm

Yeah, but have you seen how much the price of Stilton has gone up in the last couple of years!  Nothing better melted over the top of a good steak though.

Used to buy cheddar on the wheel when I was a kid back in UK.  Today's pasturized, homogenized, steralized c__p that they sell in the grocery store, complete with yellow food dye whatever, ain't nothing like it!
Andy Wiltshire
54 350 Bullet, 62 Jaguar MK II, 68 BSA Spitfire, 69 BSA Starfire
70 Bonneville, 71 Bonneville, 71 BSA B25T, 74 Jensen Healey
74 Honda XR75, 81 Yamaha MX80, 82 Suzuki GS1100G

bill440cars

• Scooter
Reply #28 on: December 28, 2007, 05:38:28 am

I agree, it IS a sad day to hear the death of the old motor! :( Where does that leave the folks who have or might get an Enfield with one of the old motors? Will parts still be available for them and, if so, how long? I mean, if a person considers buying a Bullet, will he be able to get the necessary parts? I hope that they will keep a sufficient supply of parts for those folks. Just my 2 cents worth. ;)

Later on, Bill :) ;)

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: December 28, 2007, 06:57:21 am
    I believe I've heard that there is a law in India that they must have parts available for a vehicle produced there for either 10 or 15 years after production stops. Maybe someone else can confirm this?

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii