Author Topic: Any serious miles/K's on UCE, EFI C5 yet?  (Read 5800 times)

palace15

• Bulleteer
on: May 04, 2010, 12:08:55 pm
I am seriously thinking of buying a new C5 here in the UK once I have 'got rid' of a few of my current stable, The price is a bit on the high side at close on 5K (£). I would like to ride the bike for touring and although on numerous sites say fuel consumption is around 80-85mpg(not sure of US or UK gallon) nobody as far as I can see have anything above 5000miles clocked up yet, and I would like to see how reliable these machines are.
Many thanks in anticipation.
Dave
You will always find that women that have lost thier virginity, still have the box it came in!

Royal Enfield, making mechanics out of owners since 1893.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 12:15:21 pm
4,500 miles on a C5, never had a problem.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 12:16:36 pm
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/gallery/1821_19_04_10_2_09_57.JPG

This is singhg5's G5. I have 3700 miles on my G5 and the only problem I've had was a loose wire connection to the fuel pump.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 04:41:16 am by Chris-G5 »

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 01:30:15 pm
6200 miles on my C5 with a new crank/ piston and barrel at 3700 miles. After a 2nd re-built, everything is jolly good.

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 02:00:04 pm
Can't comment on the miles as I'm at 2k but can confirm I get 80-85mpg at UK gallon sizes. I can hold 70mph and get 80mpg, slower touring speeds will give better.

Philbomoog

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 04:26:22 pm
6200 miles on my C5 with a new crank/ piston and barrel at 3700 miles. After a 2nd re-built, everything is jolly good.

What happened to require the rebuild?

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 04:40:37 pm
I am seriously thinking of buying a new C5 here in the UK......     I would like to ride the bike for touring .......       and although on numerous sites say fuel consumption is around 80-85mpg(not sure of US or UK gallon) nobody as far as I can see have anything above 5000miles clocked up yet, and I would like to see how reliable these machines are.
Many thanks in anticipation.
Dave

Hello Dave:

I have 5973 miles on my G5 and still get 70 mpg (US gallon), as I verified it yesterday.  About a month back, I had completed 5000 miles and written a post about all my experiences with this motorcycle for one year.  Here is the link -

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,7058.0.html

You have mentioned that you want it for TOURING.  That depends on how one wants to go about touring. There are touring bikes designed for running long hours, capable of doing highway speeds with all other comforts.

RE is not designed for that.  It is at its best on small country roads running at 60 mph  though you can touch 80 mph at its max speed - but you don't want to run it at that speed for any length of time. I would suggest you go to the dealer, ride it yourself and get a feel for this bike and it will bring smile to your face because it is just a charming little thing !
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 11:19:24 pm
Hello Dave:

I have 5973 miles on my G5 and still get 70 mpg (US gallon), as I verified it yesterday.  About a month back, I had completed 5000 miles and written a post about all my experiences with this motorcycle for one year.  Here is the link -

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,7058.0.html

You have mentioned that you want it for TOURING.  That depends on how one wants to go about touring. There are touring bikes designed for running long hours, capable of doing highway speeds with all other comforts.

RE is not designed for that.  It is at its best on small country roads running at 60 mph  though you can touch 80 mph at its max speed - but you don't want to run it at that speed for any length of time. I would suggest you go to the dealer, ride it yourself and get a feel for this bike and it will bring smile to your face because it is just a charming little thing !

Thanks for the replies,yes I appreciate the lower riding speeds for touring, I am for a while going to use a ybr 125 as my riding is very limited at the moment and I am fed up of running my R80gs at high speeds/motorways and 30-40mpg! .
What the hell happened????
You will always find that women that have lost thier virginity, still have the box it came in!

thefieldworker

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 03:31:56 am
I'm at about 5,300 miles on my G5, but I also have a new rear sprocket and chain on it.

I think that the G5 can easily serve as a tourer, as long as you tour around at less than 70 mph. I went from Charlotte to Beaufort, NC (for work), and then up the coast to the middle of New Jersey. I then returned down US 1 from New Jersey back to Charlotte. The riding was comfortable, and the days were pleasant and easy (as opposed to my last extended trip to Atlanta, in the rain, which then ended up  my needing a new sprocket and chain). Other than that hiccup, and the wait for the part, I've loved riding my Enfield at 60-65 on small country highways.

My previous bike was a  Honda CB700 SC, which was a great bike for the highway, and while the Enfield is a different experience, it's still great for longer rides. I think the optimal rides have been to places that are a couple of hours away.

I'm aiming, though, to go even more minimalist. I'm hoping to configure a Sachs Madass 125 to serve as both a commuter and a tourer.

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 08:17:24 am
What happened to require the rebuild?

Excess play developed in crank pin roller bearing lead to piston slamming the barrel like a sledge hammer.

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 10:25:53 am

I'm aiming, though, to go even more minimalist. I'm hoping to configure a Sachs Madass 125 to serve as both a commuter and a tourer.
Post some pictures of this one!
This is the ybr I am using at the moment!

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 09:48:41 pm
The YBR is a real undiscovered gem.
 I recently did over 400miles in a day on mine whilst out sightseeing and the bike managed to return 137 imperial mpg.

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 09:53:58 pm
Time is yet to tell! got the bike with 460miles on it and had a problem with Yamaha UK over rust problems, eventually settled with them for a new exhaust, whilst at the Isle of man TT I was getting 97mpg(uk) but that was not sensible riding tho, but have just returned 116.3mpg, but then again my best tuning kit would be to lose 5 stone!.
 ;D

thefieldworker

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 04:18:47 am
Just picked it up today; waiting for pannier rack to come in.

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 10:03:55 am
Very nice!  8)